best nugget finder?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly the one you could afford.....Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Nugget hunting requires a special type of detector to do well and there is lots of brand loyalty within the ranks. I've used a few brands and they are all extremely good. I used to use a high end Minelab 3500 an did well, but it may only have been the location too. I can recommend the Whites GMT and Tesoro Super Traq. I've never used the other Minelabs and only the Garrett once so I wouldn't be honest saying they were great too. An awful lot has to do with the operator and the location.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPX is the newest from minelab.
But most detectors could do, Whites GMT is good for smaller gold, You might have to pan it out.
Infinium LS might do but it's not specifically made for gold.http://www.p2p-zone.com/infinium/index.php

It depends on your budget.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello,
I own the GPX 4000 and can honestly say "it's a workhorse!" But, caring all the gear (harness for the battery, digging implements, bungee attachments, ect.) can make a horse out of the detectorist as well! :)

I honestly believe any detector will find surface gold. The answer to your question may hinge on how deep you are willing to dig. The GPX4000 will find whatever is down there and very deep; no doubt. But, can you justify investing over $4000 to dig down perhaps 2 feet for a lead bullet? If I were in the market for a gold machine today, I'd go with Minelab's Eureka Gold retailing in the $800 range. It's getting very good reviews. You'll find them on EBAY selling for much less. Not many people realize, until after spending their money they really don't need a dedicated gold machine and basically give them away.

Good luck in the decision buying process! :)
GRB

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The good thing about getting a Tesoro LST, is that your getting a great gold machine, but the discrimination circuit as good or better than any other. Especially if you put on a concentric coil(the 5.75 concentric is fantastic on the LST in trashy urban areas). So you don't even need to be a gold prospector to get the most out of the LST. One thing that a lot of people complain about other MD's, is that they don't hit on some of those thin gold chains. This is not a problem with the LST. In light of all this, you would never need to give this one away unless you wanted a TID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread