Tesoro Sabre II - Need a little info....

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had a coworker loan me a Silver Sabre II to "get comfortable with" before him and I go out hunting on Sunday. This detector has a Sensitivity and Disc knobs, as well as "Retune", "All Metal", and "Disc" toggle settings. We played around with it in the parking lot doing some air testing on a dime, and I noticed the "Disc" mode picked up the dime DEEPER (with setting at minimum) than the "All Metal" mode.

I noticed the bolt holding the coil to the shaft is metal, which may be affecting the unit's sensitivity. I plan on getting some nylon hardware tonight to see if this helps with anything.

There is also a "trimpot" knob close to the battery compartment and I'm not sure about that...anyone seen one of these before? I can post pics tonight...

I have very limited experience with Tesoro machines but know enough about them that for what you get, dollar-for-dollar, makes Tesoro machines very popular with a lot of people. I noticed excellent recovery speed with this Sabre II just in the few seconds I played around with it!!!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an old Golden Sabre II that I bought new in '91(?) and used it for 22 yrs and dug a bazillion coins with it. Not sure if your are reffering to the GSII or the silver sabre? My GSII is typical Tesoro lightning fast in recovery and with the concentric donut coil it PP's just as fast and accurate. My GSII has a notch feature and that can really help get rid of a lot of the pulltabs but there goes your gold and nickels. I'm a coinshooter and ran my disc just above zinc penny to where a zinc would start to breakup so I could pass or dig the zincs....but there goes your IH's. The drawback with running the high disc I preffered was the machine was basically a 4-5" machine on dimes, maybe 6" on a quarter. I don't care how much disc you run you will dig every steel washer that comes under the coil. If you are clad stabbing the machine can't be beat imo but if you are looking for deeper oldies better leave this machine at home. There is an adjustment by the battery door that is factory set and you might want to call Tesoro and ask Rusty how you might re-set for some type of gain?????? Don't worry about the metal bolt.......

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Golden Sabre II that I bought new in '91(?) and used it for 22 yrs and dug a bazillion coins with it. Not sure if your are reffering to the GSII or the silver sabre? My GSII is typical Tesoro lightning fast in recovery and with the concentric donut coil it PP's just as fast and accurate. My GSII has a notch feature and that can really help get rid of a lot of the pulltabs but there goes your gold and nickels. I'm a coinshooter and ran my disc just above zinc penny to where a zinc would start to breakup so I could pass or dig the zincs....but there goes your IH's. The drawback with running the high disc I preffered was the machine was basically a 4-5" machine on dimes, maybe 6" on a quarter. I don't care how much disc you run you will dig every steel washer that comes under the coil. If you are clad stabbing the machine can't be beat imo but if you are looking for deeper oldies better leave this machine at home. There is an adjustment by the battery door that is factory set and you might want to call Tesoro and ask Rusty how you might re-set for some type of gain?????? Don't worry about the metal bolt.......

It's a Silver Sabre II...had to look at it again

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taylor don't worry about the metal bolt and nut holding the search coil to the shaft. The older Tesoro detectors all had metal bolts and nuts and it doesn't affect anything. The way that I'd hunt with the Silver Sabre II is to put it into the discriminate mode and set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out a iron nail and start swinging and digging. Use a nail to set the discrimination. Pinpointing is easy with a Tesoro detector because its recovery speed is so fast. Just 'X' over the target to pinpoint. You might want to practice on a coin laying on ground. You dig most everything anyway, so this detector should work great for you. If you find yourself digging more trash than you'd like to, just turn up the discrimination enough to just barely discriminate out those troublesome pull tabs. Again use a pull tab to set the discrimination. Discrimination = masking and loss of depth. Less is better, especially if like finding gold jewelry.

Here's the manual: http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/older/silversabreii/silversabreiimanual.html

Good Luck!

With your digging style I always thought that you were a Tesoro man at heart. If you end up liking this detector you might think about getting a good used Tesoro Vaquero. It will go as deep as you are used to digging.

tabman

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread