Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im currently using an AT Pro but previously ran a Vaquero so I know what a Tesoro can do. I now want a back up to the Garrett mainly for my eight year old to use. Dont want another unit with ground balance as this will only complicate things for my son. I do have a couple of good spots that are loaded with iron and I want the unit that will best pick out higher conducters amongst iron

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also not interested in another small coil. I have a 5 x 8 and 12 x 13 for the Garrett

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Silver µMax would probably work a hair better than the Cibola in iron, but I'd get the Cibola because it's detects deeper. Either one is a good choice if you don't one with a ground balance.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Discrimination on both the Silver and the Cibola is Excellent. Start him with the Silver uMax!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the silver umax. Its depth was not that impressive so if Cibola then 8x9 or 11x8dd

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 11" x 8" Widescan on the Silver uMax and it is very, very good, so I would go with the 11" x 8" Widescan on the Cibola!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can now order the Cibola with the 8 x 11 search coil instead of the 9 x 8 search coil. It's just few dollars more when you buy it that way.

tabman

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Ive used a lot of detectors under $500 with a display. To me its really pointless to have a cheaper unit with a display. The numbers bounce too much for an accurate id. Might as well buy a Tesoro for its excellent depth and discrimination for its price point. Lifetime warranty makes it a no brainer too

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make sure you get a 11 x 8 search coil that's factory matched to the Cibola to get your best performance since it doesn't have a manual ground balance.

It could be hit or miss if you don't.

tabman

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned all the Tesoro's listed and I would look for a used Silver Sabre Umax.....Deeper than the Silver Umax, True all metal mode and still great in iron. The best preset GB machine they ever made!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ordered a Cibola with 8 x 11. Cant wait to see if it can pick out the goodies in my field permission that has yielded seven silvers over 100 hundred years old in the short time ive been there. Now just need the snow and cold to leave

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Cibola with 8 x 11 and was able to test it out. I was worried that it wouldn't be as deep as my old Vaquero but that was quickly put to rest when I was able to hit a 10" quarter that's been buried in my yard for a while. The Cibola had no problem at all with it. The Vaquero is not necessary I guess unless you have hot soil.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Cibola with 8 x 11 and was able to test it out. I was worried that it wouldn't be as deep as my old Vaquero but that was quickly put to rest when I was able to hit a 10" quarter that's been buried in my yard for a while. The Cibola had no problem at all with it. The Vaquero is not necessary I guess unless you have hot soil.

That's great news! It should hit nickels and gold rings even harder.

tabman

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, other then color, is there any difference between the black and gray Vaquero?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman, other then color, is there any difference between the black and gray Vaquero?

ahhaaha, that's funny. tesoro's european market has probably tanked. so they had a number of black control boxes and poles around. put the same guts in them as the gray ones and put them on the market. i bet some will say there is a difference because they bought the same machine they already had one of just because it was a different color. to justify that, "oh yeah, they are different" LOL, this will be good for a laugh. if you have the car you are driving now, Honest Samuel, painted a different color, would it perform better? i already have a vaquero. why buy another one because it is a different color? hard to tell if tesoro's marketing people are brilliant or idiotic. i guess if you can sell some people something they already have, why not give it a go. you know, there is one born every minute... LOL

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting