Tesoro Cibola Saves The Day

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a new site this morning with my Fisher F75LTD-DST and was finding a bunch of stuff, but none of it was silver or gold, so I moved to another site.

The new site's home looked to have been built around the mid-fifties. What caught my eye was a old magnolia tree. I love to detect around them. I got out my F75LTD-DST and couldn't get it calm down and run right.

This is the first time this has happened to me with this detector after I got the DST upgrade. I put it back in the car and got out my trusty modded Tesoro Cibola and it handled the EMI a lot better, but it still wasn't running as smoothly as it normally does.

I began my grid search and started finding wheat pennies, so I knew that I had a good shot at finding some silver. Wheat pennies always keep me spurred on.

My first silver coin was a 1920 Mercury Dime. I was surprised to find one that old at this site, but you just never know what will pop up when you start digging.

I moved over closer to the magnolia tree which was right next to the power lines. Right off my first target sounded like a modern surface coin. I dug down about inch or so and popped a 1944 Washington Quarter. It was setting on top of a mass of magnolia roots.

It was getting around noon time so I called it day. I'll leave some silver for another day.

tabman

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20001_zpsgemmyfnm.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20004_zpskranfups.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20002_zpswqy4gr0i.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20007_zpsrvvqucl3.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20009_zpsjp8hk2wo.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20012_zpsrfvcpqz3.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20011_zpsdtmnadwt.jpg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job! I always bring a spare detector or 2 with me as well, just in case. Keep it up!

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt Tabman! :occasion14:

Looks like you need to swing by a Tractor Supply and pick-up some camo equine leg wrap for your grip. I was in there a week or 2 ago, and it was even on sale ($5 for 5/6 rolls).

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt Tabman! :occasion14:

Looks like you need to swing by a Tractor Supply and pick-up some camo equine leg wrap for your grip. I was in there a week or 2 ago, and it was even on sale ($5 for 5/6 rolls).

Thanks I had a good time today.

Been there and done that on the camo wrap. Now I wrap strips of freezer bags around the grips of all my detectors and secure it in place with black duct tape. Mud and dirt won't stick to it like it did when they were wrapped in camo wrap.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Job! I always bring a spare detector or 2 with me as well, just in case. Keep it up!

Thanks. I always carry 3 detectors with me. I like to change things up if conditions warrant.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Silver! :headbang:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the silvers....the F75 is very chatty anywhere near power lines......with the Tesoro if it acts up just drop the sensitivity lower and you should be able to get some more silvers at that site......with my DeLeon I've gone as low as 2 on the sensitivity and manage to detect right under the power lines...hope this helps.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice .

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your method for cleaning up hose silver beauties like that?
Great finds. You seem to be having some great hunts lately!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a new site this morning with my Fisher F75LTD-DST and was finding a bunch of stuff, but none of it was silver or gold, so I moved to another site.

The new site's home looked to have been built around the mid-fifties. What caught my eye was a old magnolia tree. I love to detect around them. I got out my F75LTD-DST and couldn't get it calm down and run right.

This is the first time this has happened to me with this detector after I got the DST upgrade. I put it back in the car and got out my trusty modded Tesoro Cibola and it handled the EMI a lot better, but it still wasn't running as smoothly as it normally does.

I began my grid search and started finding wheat pennies, so I knew that I had a good shot at finding some silver. Wheat pennies always keep me spurred on.

My first silver coin was a 1920 Mercury Dime. I was surprised to find one that old at this site, but you just never know what will pop up when you start digging.

I moved over closer to the magnolia tree which was right next to the power lines. Right off my first target sounded like a modern surface coin. I dug down about inch or so and popped a 1944 Washington Quarter. It was setting on top of a mass of magnolia roots.

It was getting around noon time so I called it day. I'll leave some silver for another day.

tabman

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20001_zpsgemmyfnm.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20004_zpskranfups.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20002_zpswqy4gr0i.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20007_zpsrvvqucl3.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20009_zpsjp8hk2wo.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20012_zpsrfvcpqz3.jpg

Cibola%202%20Silver%20Coins%20011_zpsdtmnadwt.jpg

So what method do you use with your tesoros in sites like this? Just set your disc low and Digg all that beep? Or do you thumb the disc to get an idea first.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set the discrimination just barely high enough to discriminate out a nail and start digging. Thumbing will lower your chances of finding gold rings and masked silver coins. Lay a nail next to a silver dime and tell me what thumbing will tell you? Those detectors with VDI numbers and tone ID will lie to you as well.

tabman

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set the discrimination just barely high enough to discriminate out a nail and start digging. Thumbing will lower your chances of finding gold rings and masked silver coins. Lay a nail next to a silver dime and tell me what thumbing will tell you? Those detectors with VDI numbers and tone ID will lie to you as well.

tabman

Cool thanks!!
Yeah I just need to do that as long as the area isn't too trashy. Some of my spots are a nightmare. Beeps every 2 inches!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread