Nice "reunion" dig with the Vaquero today

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the Vaquero out today and it was the first time I've used it as my primary machine during a hunt in 3 years. I was using the 12 x 10" coil and was getting fairly deep, but that coil is a little awkward. Other than being spoiled on machines that have ground tracking, (I had to balance a few different times today) it was nice to relax and almost close my eyes and allow my ears to tell me to dig or not. My next purchase will be the 11 x 8 coil. I ran it today with very little discrimination and pretty much dug everything that had a steady reading. I was hoping for a little silver, but there is next time.

My first target for the day was this spoon ring. I thought it was silver and I was elated all day until I cleaned it at home. Still an interesting find for me because 2 years ago on the adjoining lot I found a silver spoon handle and was debating on making a spoon ring from it. This is the 2nd ring this year for me.

20160127_165616.jpg

Little while later I dug this.

20160127_100158.jpg

This is the total finds for the day. I went to a school for an hour that I've detected extensively dozens of times with other machines. I dug a deep 1964 nickel and 2 wheats there. They were all 8 inches plus. I think in the past I probably didn't get a good reading on them and walked over them. Seemed the Vaquero would either sound on a target or not, which didn't leave me guessing where on other machines I get somewhat of a sound, but couldn't pinpoint enough to make a plug.

20160127_165546.jpg

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like you had yourself a very nice day. You're going to love the 8 x 11 inch search coil. It balances so much lighter than the 12 x 10 and without any notable loss of depth.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread