Black Tesoro Vaquero - Wallering In Silver - Hello Big Ben

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had another great day today. My totals for the month of January are 3 14k gold rings, 31 silver coins and some other neat stuff.:hello2:

Today was my seventh or eighth hunt for the month and I have two days left to add to my total. I went back this morning to the large corner lot where I found the 14k gold ring and some other silver coins to finish up my grid search. I didn't get finished and I still have move to ground to cover. The best news of all is that I got permission to detect the large corner lot across the street. Happy me!

I set the Vaquero up with the NEL Sharpshooter search coil, about 95% on the sensitivity, just a little above iron on the discrimination, a very slight threshold and I went just a little bit negative on the ground balance.

At the end of my 3 hour hunt I pulled out my Tejon with the 8 inch super coil attach and made a quick search to see how it would do. It's a different animal and it takes a little bit to get used to after using the Vaquero, but it didn't take long before it cornered a Rosie.

I also found a couple of buffalo nickels. They were way down there. Tesoro detectors ROCK!

tabman

Vaquero Big Ben 001.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 003.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 005.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 008.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 009.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 014.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 018.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 020.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 022.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 026.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 036.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 038.JPG

Vaquero Big Ben 032.JPG Vaquero Big Ben 029.JPG

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! You found where Ben was hiding - excellent stuff! How deep were the Buffalo nickels? I know those Tesoros are hot on nickels...

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! You found where Ben was hiding - excellent stuff! How deep were the Buffalo nickels? I know those Tesoros are hot on nickels...

Thanks.

Yeah Big Ben was pretty deep and on edge. It sounded too good not to dig. I found the Buffalo nickels with the Vaquero using the small Sharpshooter search coil. My Garrett Pro Pointer was just barely sticking out of the ground. The Tejon is hotter than the Vaquero on nickels and gold rings, but I prefer using the Vaquero for coin hunting. I almost found a stack of 5 silver quarters, but they were dated two years too late. Damn the luck! I'm going to find a big silver coin spill one of these days.

tabman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am wondering what in the heck was on that ground at one time because of all the silver you are finding? I have heard that the NEL or at least the CORS coils can have tuning problems with the Tesoro machines. Do you know anything about this?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am wondering what in the heck was on that ground at one time because of all the silver you are finding? I have heard that the NEL or at least the CORS coils can have tuning problems with the Tesoro machines. Do you know anything about this?

I've had good success with the NEL Sharpshooter search coils on all my detectors that have a ground balance. Tesoro has a similar search coil (5 x 10) that's not much difference in performance. The NEL is around 1/2 inch or so deeper, but Tesoro's 5 x 10 inch search coil seems to separate a little better. Also the 5 x 10 search coil is hard to find with the short coil cable. On my super 8 inch search coil for my Vaquero I had to call Rusty to run one down with a short cable.

Keep in mind that Tesoro won't tune a NEL search coil to a Tesoro detector. I heard that Tesoro is coming out with a new smaller RST search coil. You know that I'm going to get one.

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
From the pics, it does not look like any of these finds were very deep. Can you recall more about them and their depths?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the pics, it does not look like any of these finds were very deep. Can you recall more about them and their depths?

Other than some deep nickels, most of the coins were less than 5 inches deep.

tabman

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
I'm just curious about these new Vaquero's in black and with the large new coil and what you guys think about that, if you've used that setup. Does it now come with the high coin mod? If not, have you guys set that mod up on yours? Also, do you guys use discrimination when you detect? Where do you set it if so? I'm thinking of buying a Vaquero or Tejon and live in Northern California. Is that large coil hype? Or is it deeper and better? Thanks guys.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just curious about these new Vaquero's in black and with the large new coil and what you guys think about that, if you've used that setup. Does it now come with the high coin mod? If not, have you guys set that mod up on yours? Also, do you guys use discrimination when you detect? Where do you set it if so? I'm thinking of buying a Vaquero or Tejon and live in Northern California. Is that large coil hype? Or is it deeper and better? Thanks guys.

The only difference between the gray Vaquero and the black Vaquero is the color. Being able to purchase the black Vaquero with the new RST 8 x 11 inch search coil is a big bonus for those people who prefer using a larger wide scan search coil instead of the 9 x 8 inch concentric search coil.

I mainly hunt small trashy sites, so the new search coil doesn't get much use by me. However, when I do hit larger open areas that are not too trashy, the new search coil is a big bonus for me to have. It's not any deeper in my mild soil than the 9 x 8 inch concentric search coil, but it covers a lot of ground fast with each sweep. Both coils weigh the same and are easy to swing.

The older 12 x 10 inch wide-scan search coil is much heavier and is no deeper than the RST 8 x 11 wide-scan search coil. That makes the new search coil top dog in my book. Also the new search coil seems to be a little more sensitive to smaller targets.

The Vaquero doesn't have a 'high' coin check feature, but Tejon has two discriminators, so you can flip a switch to check for a 'high' coin.

tabman

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz tabman! You are killing it. That quarter looks MS65 and the Ben looks pretty dang good too! If I hit 31 silvers for the year, I will be happy!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz tabman! You are killing it. That quarter looks MS65 and the Ben looks pretty dang good too! If I hit 31 silvers for the year, I will be happy!

Thanks. A lot of it has to do with knowing where to detect. That comes with experience and also having access to good sites.

tabman

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
Thanks Tabman for your answer. Jim

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tabman to your answer, # 9 to # 8. I am going to purchased a V in April or May, and I am happy that Gray and Black are the same.
Everybody, only clean coins worth more then face value with just dish soap and water and a soft cloth. Good hunting and good luck.

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds my friend. --- How is the Sharpshooter coil on depth compared to the stock DD? --- I have been thinking about buying one. ---- Thanks in advance! C-Dog

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman. Congratulations. I've gotta work on finding a place to hunt that's hiding that kind of stuff.
Doesn't appear you need a dang DeLeon. You rocking your butt off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions