Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector - Best Settings

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best settings that I've found for my Vaquero.

Threshold - Use a very slight audible hum on the threshold. If it's set so low that you can't hear it you will lose depth and if it's set too high you will start losing the audio modulation which helps you determine the depth and size of a target. Once you find the sweet spot, mark that location on the discrimination dial with a 'tick' mark. If you change that setting your ears will be thrown off and will have to become familiar with the new setting. A good set of headphones is a absolute must! I use Killer B Wasp headphones with the 'limiter' switch in the on position.

Sensitivity - I set mine as high as I can without the detector becoming unstable in the discriminate mode. Most of the time it's set at full sensitivity and very seldom will I have to dial it back some. Even when I do, it's still in the red. The Vaquero detectors and Cibola that I use will lose noticeable depth as the sensitivity is decreased.

Ground Balance - It's very important to have a slight negative ground balance. Too negative and the detector becomes unstable and too positive and the detector will lose depth.

Discrimination - There are '5' very important points to know and mark on the discrimination dial.

The first point is where a common iron nail just barely discriminates out. I use that setting the most because it's the most effective at unmasking good targets at nail infested sites and will hit hard on very small gold jewelry.

The second point is where a Gatorade Sports Foil Cap just barely discriminates out. Any higher and you will start to lose very tiny baby size gold rings. I use that setting when I'm digging a lot of foil caps or lots of tiny pieces of foil. If you're after small gold rings, never ever go any higher than that point.

The third point is where a modern day pull tab (square tab) just barely discriminates out. That point is very useful at newer parks that are loaded with square tabs and there are no older style beaver tail pull tabs to contend with. At that setting you can still find gold rings, but not the smaller ones that are the most numerous and overlooked.

The forth point is where the older beaver tail style pull tab just barely discriminates out. This setting can be used at older parks that are loaded them. Even at this high of a discrimination setting you can still find the larger gold rings and find plenty of silver coins. You really should never go any higher on the discrimination than this. Just dig the zinc pennies and screw caps.

The fifth point is where a modern zinc penny just barely discriminates out. I very seldom if ever use a discrimination setting that high, because all hopes of even finding large gold class rings are gone. Now, if you're not into digging a lot or can't and still want to find silver coins and modern day coins this setting may suit you.

It's best to use as little discrimination are you can, because you will lose gold rings at higher discrimination settings and you will have less masking of good targets. You really should start off detecting using the lowest discrimination setting until you see what you're up against at a particular site. At the point where nails just barely discriminate out, dig 20 targets. If I only dig 2 beaver tails and 18 modern day pull tabs, I'm going to set the discrimination at modern day pull tabs and dig the occasional beaver tail because I want to stay as much as I can in the gold ring zone.

A discrimination setting depends on the site conditions and how much a person wants to dig and give up.

Tesoro has by far the best discriminators in the business. Use them wisely. :thumbsup:

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back your sensitivity DOWN to about 7.5, and go back over the ground you've already pounded. Let us know the results! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back your sensitivity DOWN to about 7.5, and go back over the ground you've already pounded. Let us know the results! :occasion14:

Terry I'll tell you what, let's meet up and you can following in my footsteps and we'll see who has the most finds at the end of the hunt. I've tried just about every setting that there is and my above settings work best for me overall. I know that backing off the sensitivity will help unmask some good targets, but doing so will also cut back a lot on the depth in my soil. From watching videos I've noticed that most users in my opinion have the threshold set way too high. That's a big no no.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry I'll tell you what, let's meet up and you can following in my footsteps and we'll see who has the most finds at the end of the hunt. I've tried just about every setting that there is and my above settings work best for me overall. I know that backing off the sensitivity will help unmask some good targets, but doing so will also cut back a lot on the depth in my soil. From watching videos I've noticed that most users in my opinion have the threshold set way too high. That's a big no no.

tabman

Just try it. :occasion14:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You silly guy's , the best setting for the Vaq or any other Tesoro is the ON knob.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OK I'll do this, the next time that I that go detecting. When I get faint audio signals on deep targets that are just on the edge of being able to be detected I'll back the sensitivity down to 7.5 and see if I can pick it any better. I'll let you know my results.:occasion14:

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out today with the golden micro max (because the Outlaw has not arrived and the golden is all I have), it was about 52 f. Out and sunny. Went to a place where I have found some silver and lots of clad and a nice 14 kt. Gold cross. Decided that today I was going to dig EVERY good sounding non-iron tone, and keep,the disc set low. Well... I found quite a few nickels, they sound nice and clear in the lower middle tone range on my machine, and lots and lots of pull tabs, some small foil, and a few cuncks of can slaw... But no gold. :sadsmiley:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You silly guy's , the best setting for the Vaq or any other Tesoro is the ON knob.

Well, I'm on the fence post patiently waiting for a new Tesoro model. LOL. Anyway this post reminds me. Many, many years ago I bought a Minelab Explorer. My brother and I were searching a very good spot. I was fiddling we different settings and detecting. At one point my brother yells out for me to come over and run my coil over a certain spot. I went over and I sad, "nothing". He asked was does your screen say? I looked at the screen and the detector wasn't even on, and I had been "detecting" like that for about 20 minutes!!?? That machine had me so screwed up!! I sold it and bought my first Vaquero.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted in another thread how my daughter whooped me with the Cibola while I had the Vaquera. Thing is, I had her hunt the black beach sand, while I hunted a couple tide lines. The coins were in
the black sand. Upper tide line had the pull tabs. Lower tide line had all sinkers and fishing lures. We were not more than 50' apart, but what a difference that made!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm on the fence post patiently waiting for a new Tesoro model. LOL. Anyway this post reminds me. Many, many years ago I bought a Minelab Explorer. My brother and I were searching a very good spot. I was fiddling we different settings and detecting. At one point my brother yells out for me to come over and run my coil over a certain spot. I went over and I sad, "nothing". He asked was does your screen say? I looked at the screen and the detector wasn't even on, and I had been "detecting" like that for about 20 minutes!!?? That machine had me so screwed up!! I sold it and bought my first Vaquero.

Explorer runs with a threshold and you didn't know it was on?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like an older mechanic at work tells me all the time "you gotta be smarter than what you're working with Red". Lol

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Even though it was cold and super windy yesterday, but I did stop once and try the lower 7.5 sensitivity setting. Using the NEL Sharpshooter search coil and running full sensitivity I got a nice repeatable audio signal. I could tell that it had some depth to it but not a lot. When I rolled the sensitivity back to 7.5 the audio signal was completely lost. When I dug the target, it turned out to be a clad dime at the very most 6 inches deep. The ground was so sticky muddy that I couldn't determine if it was on edge or laying flat. I'll keep trying.

Terry I will agree that dialing back the sensitivity will unmask shallower good targets, because in some cases the deeper trash targets won't be detected. However, it's at the expense of not being able to detect the deeper good targets. I guess if someone has the time they should use both the higher and lower sensitivity settings on the same piece of ground to make sure that they get it all.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when you rolled the sensitivity from Max back down, where did you lose the signal - at 9, 8?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when you rolled the sensitivity from Max back down, where did you lose the signal - at 9, 8?

I didn't pay any attention, but I have noticed in my test garden that my Tejon doesn't lose nearly as much depth when I roll the sensitivity back like the Vaquero does. Keep in mind that I'm using the NEL Sharpshooter search coil and I can run it and the 5.75 inch concentric search coil at a higher sensitivity setting without the detector becoming unstable.

beephead

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haha! My buddy an X-Terra 705 for over a year, I asked him one day, where he sets his threshold hum. He said 'what hum?' Wow he didn't notice it in the owners's manual I guess.

Last edited:

fuzzymaster

Jan 31, 2017
North Central Oh
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman. I am going to try your settings tonight. We have had some rain last two days after being bone dry.

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a question, as I try to learn about my Vaquero. I understand that if you max out sensitivity , you might get chatter or whatnot, and you may need to dial back a bit if so. And having max sensitivity helps with depth. What I don't understand is the poster that is saying you might miss items if you had sensitivity too high, and should go to 7.5.. Why would it not detect a metal item if the sensitivity is at or above 10? That doesn't compute with me, maybe I am misunderstanding. . Thanks for any clarification.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when to cut back..

Had a question, as I try to learn about my Vaquero. I understand that if you max out sensitivity , you might get chatter or whatnot, and you may need to dial back a bit if so. And having max sensitivity helps with depth. What I don't understand is the poster that is saying you might miss items if you had sensitivity too high, and should go to 7.5.. Why would it not detect a metal item if the sensitivity is at or above 10? That doesn't compute with me, maybe I am misunderstanding. . Thanks for any clarification.

It's really an issue of "balance" between the GB / sensitivity settings..and soil conditions.

I think you'll find that to get best target response, especially on the shallow, larger coins (quarters and bigger), there are soil conditions where you'll find that a bit less "sensitivity" will actually make your response signal stronger. Those soil conditions will usually be where mineralization is higher, requiring a more positive ground balance setting, and lowering sensitivity actually helps.
For best target response, you want to run a little negative on the ground balance. Where ground minerals are high, you'll get better target audio response by also cutting back sensitivity. If you could run more negative in high mineralization (often, you can't), then you could also run sensitivity higher.

It's sort of like using your "high beams in fog", where too bright makes your ability to see worse, instead of better. Besides metal targets, ground minerals also reflect back your detector's transmitted signal.

I know I'm not good at explaining that balance thing very clearly.. but if you're detecting in composted organic materal, you can run very negative on GB, run sensitivity high as well..and get great target response and maximum depth.

The short of it: high mineralization = using less sensitivity for better target response, especially on larger, shallow coin targets..

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect Terry is mainly detecting in high mineralization and lucky me I have great soil to detect in so I can crank it up and get great depth. Also using less sensitivity will let you pick through the layers of trash better at the expense of depth. Make yourself a coin test garden and do some testing with different settings to see what works best for you. For me, setting the threshold to very slight hum in the all metal mode before switching over into the discrimination mode, using a very slight negative on the ground balance and turning the sensitivity up as high as it will go without the detector becoming unstable works best for me.

tabman

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Silly rabbit tricks are for kids, it's not the ON knob at all It's at "I" in Iron not set at "ON" as in IR'ON', you will loose tinny gold objects if set it any higher, like tabman said just before the nail barely discrimintes out. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread