Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned an AT Pro and an AT Gold. I resold them. Bling, blang, good, no never mind, change our mind, oh is that a Deus over in that field! (insert wolf whistle). The machines wasted my time trying to decide if the signal was good or not. There's nothing wrong with them, but I don't like the up downs and sideways and maybe's. Facebook? Like I really care about selfies and facebook? A lot of the stuff I have found I have never told anyone about.
I just like to dig, the machines I use serve my purpose. I've used all the major brands in the last 3 years, and have settled on a favorite for me.
Garrett makes very good machines, I still have one of their pinpointers, but they are not as well suited to hard core relic hunting like I do. They are reasonably priced and Garrett has a great publicity factor. That's why there are more people talking about them in the social media. Everybody needs to choose what works for them. Sometimes it's just trial and error till you find what works good for you.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the thing. on these tesoro forums, people talk about tesoro's. only on occasion do you read about those who have bought a new one. im in a few facebook groups. very, very rarely, some not at all, do you see someone who even uses a tesoro. never mind buying one. the biggest seller is the at pro. nearly ever day someone has bought one of those. we know tesoros work well. but they just are not appealing machines. i always suggest tesoro, how good they work, and their lifetime warranty. people dont care about that it seems. just look, if they go to tesoros face book page. nothing from them in over two years on it, nothing. not a post, reply, or even a like to a comment. now days that means a lot when stuff like that is just plan old ignored from a company. im in a tesoro group and the bought and sold on it are 99% used machines, not new ones. like i said, i bet garrett has sold more of just the at pro model in the past 5 years than tesoro has with all its models combined. and the at pro is nothing special and has only a 2 year warranty on it and mighty tesoro cant come up with anything comparable to it. the pro being waterproof, well sometimes i read, is a big factor. most people do not want a bulky, fixed coil, and headphones only machine. tesoro seems to have blinders on for some reason and cant comprehend the full picture of the times now days.

The main reason you see ATPro,ATPro everywhere is because of the show Diggers Or at least that's why I bought an ATPro and absolutely hated it. The audio sounds crappy(go figure that I like Tesoros single tone better) , it is nose heavy and I didn't like the rubber buttons on the control. The only thing it had going for it was the waterproof feature, but other than that there are many machines in the same price range that are much better detectors IMO.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main reason you see ATPro,ATPro everywhere is because of the show Diggers Or at least that's why I bought an ATPro and absolutely hated it. The audio sounds crappy(go figure that I like Tesoros single tone better) , it is nose heavy and I didn't like the rubber buttons on the control. The only thing it had going for it was the waterproof feature, but other than that there are many machines in the same price range that are much better detectors IMO.

That Diggers show is shedding a bad light on people who metal detect. I'm tired of explaining to people that metal detecting is nothing like what is portrayed on that goofy show. For people who don't ever detect in the water, the AT Pro isn't a very good choice. For people who primarily detect in the water the AT Pro isn't the best choice. It's a detector that can do both but doesn't excel at either.

tabman

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Diggers show is shedding a bad light on people who metal detect. I'm tired of explaining to people that metal detecting is nothing like what is portrayed on that goofy show. For people who don't ever detect in the water, the AT Pro isn't a very good choice. For people who primarily detect in the water the AT Pro isn't the best choice. It's a detector that can do both but doesn't excel at either.

tabman

one of the very few times i do agree with you. just that outside these brand forums, few have even heard of the tesoro brand and even less actually use them. with the wealth of free advertising here on this very thing you are looking at, one would think that would be taken advantage of to get the name out there. when i was asking about a good first machine, not one person in any group even mentioned a tesoro. i just happened to come across a youtube vid by 53silver while i was checking out another brand. i was a new customer and seen no advertising. if i had not come across that video. i would not have even heard about, let alone, bought a tesoro. just saying, thats all.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys.....I love my Tesoros, but my Two Garretts will never leave.....The Diggers show is a joke forsure. But the coins and relics that I have found with my AT Pro & Gold are not. Some people hate the tones like Fletch.....I fell this way about the Whites machines. I have been more successful with my Garretts than anything else and the Tesoros are a close second. In my ground the At Gold has outperformed everything else I have had....including the F75 ltd....the new black Tejon seems to be right there with it though.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like a heavy, clumsy machine the AT Pro is for you! It is a VERY good machine, just too heavy and a bad swing design.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro or Gold is pretty nose heavy with 8.5x11 coil, but slap on the 5x8(stock coil on Gold) and the Garrett swings like a dream!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 2012, we did depth tests with these machines side-by-side, real time - CTX 3030; XP Deus; Whites DFX; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq; Whites V3i; Fisher F75; Bounty Hunter Platinum; Garrett AT Pro. The AT Pro was just as good/better as the other machines. We did depth tests at 8” in heavily mineralized soil with two targets, a Liberty Silver Dime, and a 14K gold men’s wedding band (5-grams). We dug two plugs, and pushed the targets into the wall of the hole, then refilled it and tamped it down.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/blisstool/305963-blisstool-demonstration-white-plains-ny-8-15-12-a.html#post3480236

Attachments

• hvhd81512 025.jpg
    hvhd81512 025.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried a bunch of machines in our nasty red Virginia soil and the AT Gold has performed the best...it seems the Tejon (after some recent testing) with the new widescan coil may be there with it. The next best machines were the AT pro and Vaquero. The Fishers (f75ltd & CZ-3d) did not get the depth here that they are known for. The Minelabs (Etrac & Explorers) also lost depth in the bad stuff. I don't have a Deus but my hunting buddy does; and it seems to handle bad ground fairly well also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread