Which Is Your Favorite Current Production Tesoro Detector?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite is the Vaquero. I didn't much like it when I first got it and it didn't get much use for a couple of years. I just seemed to do better with the Outlaw, Bandido II µMax, and Silver µMax etc. Then one day it all clicked with the Vaquero. I learned how to properly set it up and I begin to understand its audio language. The rest is history. Flat iron, crushed aluminum cans and screw caps very seldom ever fool me.:laughing7: It's fast, light and deep!

Which is your favorite current production Tesoro detector?

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, out of the current lineup the Vaquero is my favorite. It is light, deep and just seems to find treasure. I own and use a lot of flagship detectors and to me the Vaquero is tesoros flagship.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know yet. While I own two Tesoros, I have only used one, the Golden micromax. It's a pretty sweet park machine. Looking forward to trying the Outlaw, once the weather improves again. I hope I can learn the language of the Outlaw like you have for the Vaquero, Tabman!

While I wouldn't mind Trying the Vaquero, I also want to try the Deleon, then the Tiger Shark. Would love to get a hold of a Pantera too, with that sweet "tone break" feature and moveable notch (whoops, you said current production machines, my bad), then there is that Tejon with the duel disc... Sweet!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Love my Vaq, I have never really used it to go after the deep stuff but I still found a bunch of great things.
It found my oldest coin ever, a beautiful 1865 2 center, and tons of clad plus silver and gold.
I also have a Compadre and have found large gold class rings with both...out of all the detectors I have used and all of the gold I have found with them the tones I heard when swinging over these two rings were the most unique and memorable.
Not all gold rings, just the big ones.
The first time I heard this clear, sustaining, beautiful sound with the Compadre I knew it was different but I didn't relate it to what it really was, thought it was just another zincoln.
About a year later when I heard that same sound again using the Vaq it actually stopped me in my tracks, rocked me back on my heels and made me take a breath.
This was the only time in my career that I absolutely knew 100% that I was swinging over gold before I bent over and opened a hole.
That was a few years ago and now that tone is my holy grail, I use a Fisher with a screen more nowadays but still get out my Tesoros from time to time and every time I do the one thing I hope to hear again before I hang up this hobby for good is that gorgeous sound just one more time.

As far as preferences if you had to nail me down I would have to say that put a gun to my head I would probably give up my Vaq but I would fight you to death before I ever let go of my Compadre.
Something about that one knob simplicity, the ultra small targets it easily finds and the fun I have standing behind it all adds up...big time.
The little C has found me the most smallest, thinnest, mind boggling treasure that still makes me drop my jaw and it can to it in sites and under conditions that I sometimes can't believe possible.
All my detectors have paid for themselves many times over, my Tesoros just seem to do it with class and style.

Oyvind Pedersen

Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro vaquero. Previous: minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You quitting this Hobbie? Why?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero because I like the way the name rolls of the tongue and the little Silver microMax.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You quitting this Hobbie? Why?

LOL!
Not yet...but one day I will bend over or kneel down to dig something and won't be able to get up again.
Hope that day doesn't come for years but all great things come to an end, eventually.

Oyvind Pedersen

Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro vaquero. Previous: minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a real tough choice. I don't own a Vaquero but since I mainly have to hunt fresh water now after my stroke couple years ago and had to leave salt water beaches, I love my Tiger Shark. When land hunting, that Tejon is my go to detector cause of its two disc settings. I have the older Tiger with the option to change coils, but I rarely EVER take the Clean Sweep Coil off.

Now my least favorite is the AT Pro, but its a Garrett. Actually my main gripe is Garrett advertises it as a All-terrain when it only sucks at salt water wet sand. Many others aren't good there either.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm especially fond of my DeLeon, but the Vaq is a very close contender.
BB

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just depends on what day it is, and what I'm trying to find. My machines are like my hunting dogs. I love them all, but some have a better nose than the others in particular situations. :occasion14:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry. Depends on the day, the area, and just how I feel. Lol.
Newer detectors (new to me) usuallyget the most swinging time when u receive them.
But I'm still learning about all of them. I'm kind of ADD with my choice for the day. They're always changing.

But so far out of what I have I'd have to say my modded cibola. If the mod disqualifies it then I'd have to say outlaw. Doesn't have the same punch as the 4 pins and because the audio is a bit different it takes some time to hear the subtleties of tone. But I like it alot. Closest you get to a Bandido II. Plus when you learn all that button can do its really a pretty versatile machine.

And as odd as it sounds the Honorable mention goes to the compadre.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really don't know yet either. The compadre is difficult to beat for a new coin shooter. I'm really liking the sabre with the 4" coil on it but I just ordered a new Deleon, should be here Tuesday. I can't believe I only started metal detecting in May and I've already purchased my third machine, already.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know yet either. The compadre is difficult to beat for a new coin shooter. I'm really liking the sabre with the 4" coil on it but I just ordered a new Deleon, should be here Tuesday. I can't believe I only started metal detecting in May and I've already purchased my third machine, already.

Haha it happens.
I started really in March. Swung a bit last season at the end but this is the first year.
Luckily I found good deals on all mine. All used tesoros besides the compadres.
Cibola was factory set and GB was positive. I figured if I was gonna go inside and change the trim pot, might as well just mod it.
It's good to have multiple machines. I think you'll like the Deleon. I like mine for coins. Just remember that the changing coils most likely will require you to send it in for internal adjustment.
The GB on that unit also controls it's readout of the display so other coils will throw it off.
I don't change mine on that one.
Stock coil should serve you great. And once you learn it it's dead on.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite Tesoro, currently produced, is the Vaquero. It's nearly as deep as my Tejon in this mineralized soil, lighter than they are, uses only one battery (for many hours) and has all the features I need for the type of searches I do.
If I were doing more beach detecting I'd choose something else, but for where I am, Vaquero is my favorite current model. I like it so much, I bought a spare!
Though this thread is about the dectector model, thought I'd also mention my favorite coil...the 5.75 widescan. I do some very trashy spots, so opted for smaller coils. I have now used both 5.75's; concentric and widescan. I have to say, that while it's easier to pinpoint and disc is more consistent with the concentric, I find it less forgiving than the widescan (around here). If I go down the hill to a manicured park, I like the concentric better. Most of my searches though, are in mountain picnic and camp areas where the widescan works better for me. ^_^

Edit: -a few months later...

I now have to say that while my favorite in current production was the Vaquero, it is now the Outlaw. It's not quite as deep as Vaquero, but I like the tone better than the standard Vaquero tone, and I prefer the all-metal detune, and the mode toggle, over the Vaquero's switch/pot to go into all-metal. Since I've been hunting some pretty trashy spots, I also prefer the way Outlaw's "ED120" discrimination makes steel bottle caps... just go away!

Also, my current favorite coil...is now a toss-up between 5.75" concentric (was the widescan), and the 8" concentric donut. Been searching highly mineralized areas less, and doing parks more... ^_^

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha it happens.
I started really in March. Swung a bit last season at the end but this is the first year.
Luckily I found good deals on all mine. All used tesoros besides the compadres.
Cibola was factory set and GB was positive. I figured if I was gonna go inside and change the trim pot, might as well just mod it.
It's good to have multiple machines. I think you'll like the Deleon. I like mine for coins. Just remember that the changing coils most likely will require you to send it in for internal adjustment.
The GB on that unit also controls it's readout of the display so other coils will throw it off.
I don't change mine on that one.
Stock coil should serve you great. And once you learn it it's dead on.

My Deleon sits at the local post office waiting for delivery tomorrow. I went out and marked some targets with the sabre today. I am looking forward to seeing how the Deleon reacts to them.They are solid repeatable tones,I intend to dig them, anyways, it'll be more interesting to see what the Deleon has to say before I do.

Nomad NJ

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Vaq with the 11x8 coil, but I found a nice 14k gold ring with my 9x8 coil before I received my new coil.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I really like the Tejon and just got another one to replace the one I should not have sold a few years back. I really like the Outlaw and the Vaquero for different reasons specific to each detector. All have manual ground balances a must have for me. Oh and the trusty Sand Shark for Salt Water Beach use.

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the Vaquero, Silver Umax and Compadre.......but I LOVE my TEJON!!! Probably my favorite detector.....

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
My favorite is the Cibola, lightweight, easy to use, powerful. Close second is the Sand Shark, for sandy and salt water areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions