Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for your input regarding different Tesoro models that have caught my eye. I have other detectors that I'm quite pleased with, so a new Tesoro would be in addition to the machines I currently own.

I mostly coin hunt at old homestead locations; some of which are modern fields but most are wooded areas. At times there are lots of trash (everything from old square nails to beaver tails and modern pull tabs) so a small coil is desirable. Of course I do like finding lost jewelry too, but my primary objective is silver coins.

I also hunt salt beaches but just purchased a Beach Hunter 300 for the surf and the wet sand, so I think I am covered there. The Tesoro (whichever model I decide on) will likely see time in the dry sand.

I am looking for a machine that compliments the machines I currently own; something fast, light, and fun. The targets will be silver coins, followed by jewelry and clad coins.

I'm also thinking about trying my luck in local parks and tot lots; I am going to assume that they will be full of modern trash.

Depth isn't the most important issue, but it does matter to some extent.

I've been reading everything I can find (on the various Tesoro models) and watching the videos, but wanted to get input from current users as to which model is best suited for my particular whims. So far I am leaning toward three models, but can't really make my mind up as to which one best compliments my other machines.

Compadre — with the small coil, this one seems to be ideal. It is light, simple to use and cheap enough that I wouldn't hesitate to keep it in the cab of my truck. I believe it is probably very good on silver coins but have some questions about its depth. I am a bit concerned about the lack of ability to change coils, but I can easily get around that by using one of my other machines when I want to cover a larger area.

Outlaw — this is the model that I favor. I like the fact that it has ground balance and three coils. I like the frequency too — and believe that it would be a coin killer. I'm not sure about the depth (the reports vary) but if it gets a quarter at 10 inches that is good enough for me. The downfall is that it is getting expensive enough that I wouldn't keep it in my truck all the time. (that is not a deal killer though)

Vaquero — With the new DD coil and the 5.75 inch coil, I believe this one would be great for depth (from what I've read) and still sniff out those coins surrounded by trash. I'm not sure that it would be as good on silver (as the others) but my MX5 does great with silver and the frequency is nearly the same (so I could well be wrong). The downfalls are — it's nearly the same frequency as the MX5, so I'm not sure that it compliments my current group of machines, and the total price is roughly the same as for the Outlaw but it [the Outlaw] would come with three coils. The Vaquero is a really sharp looking machine though — and it appears to be the favorite model of most.

Ideally I'd get all 3 machines so I could get first-hand knowledge of which machine is right for me, but that isn't very practical given my wife's steadfast belief that I already have too many machines.

My current machines: V3i, MX5, BH 300, ET Pro (the latter is actually my wife's machine).

So which Tesoro model best compliments my current machines (and whims) in your opinion?

Which model would you buy, and why?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the current line up of tesoro machines I would go with the Vaquero with the sites you mentioned you hunt. It is deeper than the outlaw and is a coin killer. The 5.75 concentric coil in old sites littered with square nails is exceptional.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
If adequate depth is acceptable, I would go for the Outlaw if your primary purpose is for coins, it will disc out copper pennies and clad dimes and still get a silver dime.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i also did a lot of research of their different models and i went with the vaquero. seems to be their best all round machine from what i gathered and have been pleased with it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have said the Vaquero if you hadn't mentioned dry sand beach hunting. The outlaw with the 3x18 Cleansweep will be a killer setup for hunting towel line in dry sand.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have said the Vaquero if you hadn't mentioned dry sand beach hunting. The outlaw with the 3x18 Cleansweep will be a killer setup for hunting towel line in dry sand.

Yes, unless you are lucky enough to own a CleanSweep search coil that works on a Vaquero.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For hunting the other places mentioned I would have to say the Vaquero with 11x8 RSD coil. I just took mine for a 30 min spin in my yard and dug a copper penny I know I have been over before and it was a nice soft repeatable that stayed there all the way thru max thumbing of disc knob. I called 3 zincs, and 4 square tabs before I dug them in pitch black darkness. I have a new found love in the black Vaquero with 11x8 coil!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the machines you already own, get a Compadre! :headbang:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the Vaquero with the new 11x8DD on the dry sand as much as anything i have used....and i prefer it over the Outlaw inland also. Compadre does fine in the dry sand also.....

OP
OP
T

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the advice.

I was really leaning toward the Outlaw, but the comments pushed me in the direction of the Vaquero. In fact I was almost convinced that the Vaquero was the right machine when I started thinking more about Terry's comment. It made a lot of sense to me and I really liked the price - so I bought the Compadre (small coil).

If I like it as much as I think I will, I'll probably end up buying the Vaquero later.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 9 year old son has pulled many pieces of small jewelry from our yard with his 5.75 coiled Compadre that all of my machines have missed. Great machines!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For hunting the other places mentioned I would have to say the Vaquero with 11x8 RSD coil. I just took mine for a 30 min spin in my yard and dug a copper penny I know I have been over before and it was a nice soft repeatable that stayed there all the way thru max thumbing of disc knob. I called 3 zincs, and 4 square tabs before I dug them in pitch black darkness. I have a new found love in the black Vaquero with 11x8 coil!

Fletch you just won't give up will you, lol? Keep spinning those knobs & keep us posted on this new Vaq, hopefully it is a hot one, unlike the 'cold' ones we both had.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might try another with the 11x8. Your soil must be really hot where you hunt? I think my detecting skills have improved since the previous Vaq's. I guess different strokes for different folks because you love the Omega but I didn't like its "chattiness" that most of the FT machines seem to have.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks to all for the advice.

I was really leaning toward the Outlaw, but the comments pushed me in the direction of the Vaquero. In fact I was almost convinced that the Vaquero was the right machine when I started thinking more about Terry's comment. It made a lot of sense to me and I really liked the price - so I bought the Compadre (small coil).

If I like it as much as I think I will, I'll probably end up buying the Vaquero later.

I hunt with a F70 more nowadays, but still have a Vaq and a Compadre and still pull them out from time to time.
The Compadre more than the Vaq because its middle name is pure joy.
You are in good company, welcome to the church!

Church of the Compadre...

Attachments

• PicsArt_1456662278927.jpg
    PicsArt_1456662278927.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a F70 more nowadays, but still have a Vaq and a Compadre and still pull them out from time to time.
The Compadre more than the Vaq because its middle name is pure joy.
You are in good company, welcome to the church!

Church of the Compadre...

Separation from church & tnet state please! I kid, I also preferred my Compadre to my Vaquero, for having a good time detecting. The disc was so much better on the Comp, IMO. I did not get fooled by iron nearly as much. That Vaquero being 14.75 kHz just loves the iron. But, that being said, it loves the gold as well!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arrrrrrr......

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_131446.jpg
    IMG_20160227_131446.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 91

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread