12x10 vs 11x8 for a Vaquero.

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to get a 12x10 with cover and lower rod that is almost new there are very few scuffs on the cover for $85. I mostly hunt big fields and woods for civil war stuff and relics from Americas early days. Most sites I hunt are in north Alabama, north Mississippi, and southern Tennessee. I use a vaquero with the stock 9x8 coil TH set just above adaduble buzz, sens about 11, GB slightly negative, and disc just above iron so I can knock small nails out but still dig the big ones.

My question is would the 11x8 be better then the 12x10 for my style of hunting? I'm guessing the larger coil will be slightly deeper but may mask some good objects due to the large scanning field (this doesn't bother me to much because I'm looking for iron stuff). Does anyone know how much the 11x8 is going for from a site vendor?

Sorry for the long post but I'm an engineer and I like to be thorough.

Thanks.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They both get around the same depth, but the 11 x 8 inch is a lot lighter and much easier to swing. Saving a few bucks ain't worth it!

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used both on my Vaquero, I would say get the 11 x 8 Widescan. It is lighter, better balanced as you swing and easier to keep flat. It doesn't really give up much depth as far as I can tell. :skullflag:

OP
OP
C

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the weight and balance what does the 11x8 have on the 12x10? If weight is the only difference then I'll take the little bit more depth and coverage.

Thanks.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Seperation is a tad better and "crisper".....im telling you as a relic hunter i feel the 11x8 is the best coil Tesoro has ever made! Buy the 11x8.....BUY THE 11X8!!!!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i bought an 11x8 a while back for like 125....give or take.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread