Vaquero chirps constantly with 12x10 coil.

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vaquero chirps in disc mode and in all metal the sound is never smooth with a 12x10 coil. When I put the stock 9x8 and a 5.75 concentric on my vaquero it is quite in disc and has a smooth tone in all metal.

The 12x10 I bought used so I don't know the history on it. I tested all 3 coils more than 100 yards away from the nearest power line. When I tested them I just held them in the air so there was no way the 12x10 could of been reading anything.

I'm wondering if the 12x10 is a bad coil and if it is, is there anything I can do about it?

I have already cleaned under the coil cover and checked the wiring and connector and they appear good.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try ground balancing it at 50% power then turn the sensitivity up

OP
OP
C

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very difficult to gb because of all the chatter. No matter where the sens is it still beeps every few seconds.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flee, run away..... No really. Get away from ANY radio frequency or WiFi even smart phones. A field out in the middle of nowhere. Look at the coil as an antenna, the bigger the coil the better the reception. With the 12x10 you have a really big antenna, it will pick up on ALL the RF noise in its general area. Also if it has coil cover remove it and make sure there is no dirt or sand between it and the bottom of the coil. If after you have done the above mentioned and are still having problems, send it back to Tesoro and they will make it right. When I first purchased my Compadre, I turned it on in my front yard and it was freaking out , chirp,chirp,chirp or dat,dat,dat etc... Once I left the area the chirpping stopped. Also as mentioned the SENs set to high will cause it to pick up on all the RF.
Peace and happy hunting.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also please forgive my "type first" then read post. It just happens to be my favorite breakfast. ? Oh my " foot in mouth " breakfast.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Email or call Tesoro. I would call and try and talk with Rusty Henry. I recently learned that my newest Vaq has the new tones while I still like the higher old tones and they will change it for practically free because even though I will pay them a nominal fee they will pay return shipping. Great company to deal with.

OP
OP
C

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reply is for people that read this thread in the feature.

I went out in the middle of the woods where nearest power line is more than 2 mile away. And the coil worked perfectly. So I went somewhere other than my house that had power lines near by (20 yards) and it worked fine again. So I went back to my house where I was having issues in the first place and it was still chirping every few seconds.

I guess there is something in my house that is interfering with the coil even though I was more than 150 yards away from my house. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

As a test I may turn electronics off and on in my house until I find out what is causing the interference.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you carrying a cell phone. Do you have an electric dog fence or security system?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tejon did that once. I took the coil cover off and swooshed the coil and cover off in a creek. It was packed with crud.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it only chirps when using the 10 x 12 coil, it seems unlikely that it would be EMI related, but some DD coils do not handle EMI as well as concentrics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread