Small coil for Tejon... 5.75" Concentric or Widescan?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I've recently ordered a new Tejon which should be in my hot hands by mid next week. Been reading up on settings and researching some local areas I want to try searching. Thinking that after I get used to my new toy, I may want to look into a 5.75" coil to supplement the 11x8 widescan that comes with the Tejon. Still not sure which would work better for me though... The concentric or widescan. Have any of you used both 5-3/4" coils on your Tejon? If so, which do you prefer for coins and jewelery in somewhat mineralized earth? I'm assuming that the extremely rocky soil around me is highly mineralized... I'll soon find out. ^_^

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used the 5.75 inch DD search coil, but my 5.75 inch concentric search coil is just about as deep as the stock search coil in my mild soil. I've read that the small 5.75 inch concentric search coil works just fine in highly mineralized soil.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I've recently ordered a new Tejon which should be in my hot hands by mid next week. Been reading up on settings and researching some local areas I want to try searching. Thinking that after I get used to my new toy, I may want to look into a 5.75" coil to supplement the 11x8 widescan that comes with the Tejon. Still not sure which would work better for me though... The concentric or widescan. Have any of you used both 5-3/4" coils on your Tejon? If so, which do you prefer for coins and jewelery in somewhat mineralized earth? I'm assuming that the extremely rocky soil around me is highly mineralized... I'll soon find out. ^_^

The 5.75 widescan was very good on my Vaquero. Really could not notice any depth in difference over the 9x8 concentric. Great in mineralization and hits hard on gold & small items. I just put a 5" DD on my Teknetics Omega, found a 1945 and 1949 wheat with it a few days ago, at a trashy site I had about given up on after hitting it hard with 3 different detectors & 5 coils. I love those small coils in the trashy sites!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Without a screen I prefer the concentric coils over the DD's mostly because I hunt parks and some of them are infested with pop tops.
I can deal with and avoid them using a DD coil but the concentric coils make it effortless and a bit faster and more efficient when you need to avoid a ton of them.
I don't use my Vaq as much as I used to but hunting in my very difficult soil in the SE.with the added problem of extra large amounts of iron my concentric seem to deal with all that just about as well as the DD's on the hunts I have compared both types.
I can tell you that my Vaq hits on jewelry hard when this coil passes over them.
I received this coil a couple years back while i lived in Kansas and of course took it out for several hunts to try it out.
In that great soil it got major depth but I was shocked when on my I think second hunt with this set up I found a tiny gold ring that screamed dig me in a huge area I hunted many times before and where logically I should not have even tried hunting with a sniper coil so for me this was a very lucky coil too and still is.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FhPT55m2TOM[/video]

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Concentric....I love mine...just found an 1814 Large cent with it yesterday. Here is why the concentric is the way to go:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tesoro+tejon+relics1864&&view=detail&mid=658CA88A636F232A1196658CA88A636F232A1196&FORM=VRDGAR

It is pretty well known that DD coils handle mineralization better, I thought that was what the OP was asking. That is why every VLF gold machine uses a DD coil. Also you getter a wider detecting pattern at max depth, (not cone shaped) therefore you can cover more ground as well. Not to mention the tighter separation a DD offers

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 5.75" coil on a Tejon is kinda like harnessing your thoroughbred race horse to a plow. The Tejon is a super deep, super sensitive 17.2kHz machine. Get a Compadre for the trashy areas and let that Tejon run free! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 5.75" coil on a Tejon is kinda like harnessing your thoroughbred race horse to a plow. The Tejon is a super deep, super sensitive 17.2kHz machine. Get a Compadre for the trashy areas and let that Tejon run free! :occasion14:

That's an amusing analogy. ^_^

Not a bad idea, though. Just thinking about learning the Tejon first, then adding that "plow" for areas where the larger race horse coil doesn't have the room to run around. Actually, was thinking that a small concentric (or widescan) may work well right next to walls of abandoned stuctures I wanted to search, and would be easier to swing around in brush areas. Not buying any coils yet, just getting some ideas and opinions. Still don't have the Tejon to play with; should be here tomorrow.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty well known that DD coils handle mineralization better, I thought that was what the OP was asking. That is why every VLF gold machine uses a DD coil. Also you getter a wider detecting pattern at max depth, (not cone shaped) therefore you can cover more ground as well. Not to mention the tighter separation a DD offers

I would totally agree with you about the DD coils on every other machine out there except the Tesoro's .....on multi-tone machine's i can use "seperation" and listen for the high tones......on the single tone machines i have to set my disc at my desired level and then rely on the machines "unmasking" abilities in heavy trash. This is where the Tejon with a Concentric coil performs well ....in iron trash "unmasking" good targets other machines miss! Both coils have their own purpose....i have used both and just get more use out of the 5.75 concentric and the 8.5x11 DD then any others....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people dont know the difference between "target seperation" and the ability of a detector to "unmask" a target. The XP deuse has better seperation than any machine i know of....most of the Tesoro machines have excellent unmasking abilities when using concentric coils.....
Just read some of Monte's posts on the Bandido II using the 7" concentric coil.....it was his favorite set-up not because it would hit a dime at 10", but because of its unmasking abilities.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Compadre would never have hit that Large cent yesterday.....and that yard is full of iron.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Compadre would never have hit that Large cent yesterday.....and that yard is full of iron.

Are you sure? You've been hunting that place for years right? Take the Compadre next time and spend a couple of hours re-gridding. If you don't find something good that you've missed before, I'll fly down and buy you dinner! :occasion14:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure? You've been hunting that place for years right? Take the Compadre next time and spend a couple of hours re-gridding. If you don't find something good that you've missed before, I'll fly down and buy you dinner! :occasion14:

I like steak!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My 5.75 Compadre gets around 5" deep on most targets here....8" coiled Compadre would probably do better.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people dont know the difference between "target seperation" and the ability of a detector to "unmask" a target. The XP deuse has better seperation than any machine i know of....most of the Tesoro machines have excellent unmasking abilities when using concentric coils.....
Just read some of Monte's posts on the Bandido II using the 7" concentric coil.....it was his favorite set-up not because it would hit a dime at 10", but because of its unmasking abilities.

I understand, but the DD coil benefits exist regardless of the machine being multi tone. A DD also 'sees' less of the ground minerals than a concentric of the same size does, so it is preferred in heavy mineralization. Blacksand drove my Vaq crazy in gold bearing areas with the concentric. The DD was miles better. The ability to distinguish two targets that are very adjacent is my idea of separation. With my disc set at 16 on my Omega, I will get a good dime signal, dig a nail and the dime is still in the hole under the nail. This is what I would refer to as unmasking. However good targets that are NEXT to iron can still be masked out, this is where the separation due the DD's tighter placement of T/R coils can still be of large benefit in highly trashy areas.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blacksand and the gold bearing areas that you speak of is something i have no experience with because of the area i live in. An example of what i like the 5.75 concentric for is this: I will usually hunt a yard the first time or two with my Garrett machines because i know them very well.....I will start by "cherry picking" the yard only digging the clean, clear high tones. Next trip i will hunt the yard with one of my Tesoro's with the 5.75 concentric with disc set as low as can be consideriing the trash in the yard. The small concentric will most times find a few coins that the Garrett machines sounded/looked bad on because of trash targets in close proximity. For me, i just seem to do better in trash with a concentric on a Tesoro. Now when it comes to my field hunting....no question, i use a big DD all the time. We have some hot ground here....just this morning the field was so mineralized that i buried a dime at 6 inches and my Sovereign GT or my buddies Deus wouldn't make a sound on the dime in the blood red soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread