68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at a outlaw or vequero can't decide

Hello guys first of I have done research and as you know opinions are like a$$ holes and elbows. The opinions are all over the place. I am new to this site but can tell there is a lot of experience here. I just want your opinions on what detector to get.

I am a old school kind of guy. I like manual transmissions in a truck, don't care to much for cell phones, hand wash dishes instead of use the dishwasher, you get the picture. So tesoro detectors look good to me. No screen to lie to me, simple, effective. I have looked at the lineup they have and its down to the OUTLAW or VEQUERO. I do mostly coin hunting and some relic hunting.

I currently have a fisher F4 and after testing it with nails and coins in between I see that it leaves a lot to be desired with picking coins from the trash, also the depth is not as good as I want.

I can't decide between the two tesoro detectors. What are your thoughts on the 2. I know they are both good units. The outlaw looks good with the 3 coils but the V has more depth from what I can tell. I am not ready to buy one yet but the time will come soon. I am just doing my home work before hand. Thanks again..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw has more than the 3 coils going for it. There is that Zero motion all metal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Vaquero with the 11" x 8" Widescan coil. :skullflag:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, I prefer the Outlaw. Just remember you cant go wrong with either!

OP
OP
68kaiser

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention that I search around sitesthat are filthy in iron.. Nails and such. I know I am missing a lot and its killing me.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is about a coin flip between the 2. I like the Vaquero better than the Outlaw. The 11x8 coil is the perfect size coil for most situations. I will add my Silver uMax seems to sort through iron a little better though and it is closer to the Outlaw.
You will probably want either the 5.75 concentric or Widescan depending on how mineralized your soil is.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I forgot to mention that I search around sitesthat are filthy in iron.. Nails and such. I know I am missing a lot and its killing me.

I used a Vaq with a sniper concentric and did well in sites like this...hunting in sites with crazy amounts of iron seems to be what I have evolved to over the last few years.
Just to add some fuel to the fire I also did better than well using an F70 in sites so infested with iron you might not believe it so just another option to consider since you already own a Fisher.
An F2 was fantastic for me at most sites although even with a sniper coil could not do much for me in extreme iron but the F70 with more power and many more settings availiable sure could.
That screen never lied to me once I learned what it was really trying to tell me, on the contrary it was a huge asset, and what I learned about hunting in iron with the Fisher helped me get even better at hunting with the Vaq.
Both types are fun and productive but in different ways so depending on how you want to do this your choice.
As far as the choice between the two Tesoros all I know is the Vaq and it seems very decent and productive in heavy iron.
By the way, I also have a Compadre and as long as you are not looking for targets super deep in heavy iron sites this one also works surprisingly well at picking out non ferrous targets in this situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68kaiser

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the info I am getting thanks.. I think I will get a 4" coil for the f4 they are not to expensive for the time being.
Any others that own the outlaw or V or many both please tell what you like or dislike about them thanks again.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Vaquero being 14.75 kHz, loves iron. I hunt very iron trashy, torn down homesites (no trace of a home sometimes). The Vaquero had me digging a LOT of iron that should have been disc'ed out but hit where dimes/quarters would. Higher the sens, the less accurate the disc was. That said, I preferred the 5.75 widescan in these sites (or a multi tone unit, lol). As always, JMO after using a Vaq for over a year. Many people will ONLY tell you the good points of a machine & gloss right over the negative aspects it.

OP
OP
68kaiser

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to hunt a lot of places like you. A lot of old houses, homesteads in the mountains with the building gone. Nails and crap every where. Its frustrating but there has to be some good stuff around.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own either machines, but the Cibola I use does very well in iron, so I'd expect
the other models of Tesoro machines would do just as well, or better.
At one point I was seriously looking at the Outlaw also. The multiple coils had me
looking, as a very attractive, tempting package....
My suggestion is to PM TNet members that own and use those two models,
and get the honest plus and minus of each.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The honest answer is both machines are very capable, but you have to put 50-100 hours of use behind you before you really understand what the machine can do, and where to set your sensitivity and threshold. No different than any other brand or model.

OP
OP
68kaiser

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I will keep researching on this. I am ordering a 4" sniper coil for the f4 today. They are cheap and should help out until I figure out what detector to get next. It will be interesting to check places that I have done with the 11" DD and see what I find.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Outlaw, its just easier to say than Vaquero, which means it will be easier to use.
"Hey buddy what metal detector are you using"? Vaquero! "Oh yeah,well same to you jerk"!
Getting the Outlaw will help eliminate awkward moments like these.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Outlaw, its just easier to say than Vaquero, which means it will be easier to use.
"Hey buddy what metal detector are you using"? Vaquero! "Oh yeah,well same to you jerk"!
Getting the Outlaw will help eliminate awkward moments like these.

Haha! Your killing me!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw is prone to problems with the red retune button.....also in my experiences the Vaquero is a little deeper on most targets. But I prefer the Tejon over either of them for my hunting style. Either way, the new 8x11 DD coil is a big improvement!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the same button as the red one on the vaquero isn't it Digger? I did like the toggle pinpoint on the Tejon but like the vaquero more overall. I generally try to brush the dirt of my hands so I do not cram dirt in the button on the next target. I just never did like the whole re-tune thing about the outlaw or Bandido. I like the vaquero and silver the best

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the same button as the red one on the vaquero isn't it Digger? I did like the toggle pinpoint on the Tejon but like the vaquero more overall. I generally try to brush the dirt of my hands so I do not cram dirt in the button on the next target. I just never did like the whole re-tune thing about the outlaw or Bandido. I like the vaquero and silver the best

I don't think the problem is the button itself.....it starts acting stupid and not re-tuning the way it is suppose to.....been a while since I have had the Outlaw in my hands but the button functions a little differently than on the Vaquero. Just go with the Tejon and don't worry about it.....hard to beat the trigger switch on the Tejon!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both machines are good. I have a Vaquera, Cibola and Tejon. The Outlaw has the lowest operating frequency of the bunch. Makes a difference in what you're looking for. I went back over some ground I hit a few weeks ago going very slowly, and pulled out a bunch of stuff. Not so much the machine, as the operator. I'm digging in horrible Virginia red dirt, but am doing ok. The relics aren't deep, but there is iron out the wazoo all over the place. Anyone need a nice nail collection?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread