pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... I couldn't help myself. You know that old saying about the cat and curiosity? I went and bought myself some new Killer B Wasp headphones. All I can say, is holy-moley! The environmental sound blocking and speaker pitch really do enable the softer sounds to be heard. I see that I can also lower my threshold hum a bit as well. These should really help me to "hear deeper" in all-metal. Maybe now I'll see what the Tejon is really capable of...
Nice product, these Killer B's.
^_^

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found the more expensive brands designed for detecting to sound better overall than the cheaper ones I have used. However, IMHO, even cheaper phones make you much more of "one" with your detector than the external speaker. For me, no headphones, speaker only, would be a serious handicap.
luvsdux

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm finding out that while the good headphones are more durable, sound better and make me more stealthy... They are bloody hot after a few minutes! Still, I am liking my Killer B's and would recommend 'em to anyone. ^_^

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saying is true, " you get what you pay for ". I found that it was only AFTER I purchased a pair of Killer Bee's that I was able to really begin to understand the famous Tesoro language.
Good call on getting a set.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Love my Gray Ghost original phones....have two pairs. One for my Tejon and one for my Sovereign GT. Have used cheaper ones.....and that is what they were.....cheaper ones!

Do you have the newer or older model Gray Ghost headphones? The newer ones use a diffrent speaker than the older ones. I have a new pair of Gray Ghost Originals on order right now. I just like the single volume knob over the duel.

Did you know this about the Gray Ghost headphones or Detector Pro headphones? I found this out when I called Jimmy Sierra about his newest version the Maxi phone III headphones that differ from his original Maxi phones that he sells under his name concerning the claimed speaker change making them better than before. They were manufactured for him and built by Detector Pro (I have a pair and really like the sound) I also called detector pro a few years back about the listed below changes. Detector Pro confirmed the speaker changes to there line up of headphones and said the Jimmy Sierra Maxi phone III had this new speaker as well (still a 150 ohm speaker but a new design lower frequency) and they used it in there Detector Pro line of headphones as well.

Below is a copy of what I mentioned in another thread concerning Detector Pro headphones. I did not want to try and rewrite so I copied and pasted the below statement.

The Detector Pro brand headphones now use a lower frequency 150 ohm speaker in them which I like a lot better as I feel I can hear the edges of the targets better and prefer the tone of them. They changed speaker vendors a few years back and there newer headphones have the new speakers in them. There older model headphones had a 150 ohm speaker in them similar to the Killer Bees speaker. The new speaker is flat looking and chrome with even spaced small hole in it. The older speaker looked a lot like the speaker in the Killer Bees more conical bigger holes in the face of the speaker (kind of hard to describe correctly). I like Killer Bees myself but I find them slightly a little to tinny or high pitched sounding for me on some or most detectors and have a tougher time hearing the edges of target. I never really noticed this issue until trying the newer Detector Pro headphones. I had used the older ones and had not noticed much of a difference like said between my Killer Bees. I do wish Detector Pro offered the leather ear muff and the more finite control volume knobs on there headphones like the Killer Bees do. Sun Ray headphones are manufactured by Killer Bee with higher end features switch's and knobs with Sun Rays name on them.

Pic of new speaker design below....

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread