pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I've taken my Tejon out a couple times now, and found plenty of garbage and a few coins. I understand that I'll hear its language much better with some headphones, and I have some questions.
Reading through the forums, I see several expensive but clunky and old-fashioned looking heaphones recommended. Some say that it's important to find some with an impedance of 100 Ohms or more, others think it's not so important... I called Tesoro and was told that Cal Rad 15-135b work just fine, and that they're around 8 Ohms. They'd also recommended that I get the angled 1/4" plug, and avoid any 3.5mm-1/4" adapter.

While I understand the desire to avoid an adapter just because of potential open circuit issues, what's wrong with using modern lightweight phones at around 32 Ohms? These can be had with neodymium magnet drivers, as cheaply as about $15 from WallyWorld!
Why in this day and age are new detectors equipped with the ancient standard of 1/4" plugs, and not the current standard, 3.5mm?
Why are modern phones for metal detectors still looking like they were designed in the 1950s or '60s?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Gray Ghost original phones....have two pairs. One for my Tejon and one for my Sovereign GT. Have used cheaper ones.....and that is what they were.....cheaper ones!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Pinenut, I agree with Digger. Keep it simple and invest in a decent pair of MDing phones. GG are good, I also have Sunray Golds from Big Boys Hobbies.

You will hear subtle cues in the audio that would be lost if just listening to the speaker.

HH and good luck!

Jun 12, 2008
Traveling USA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3I, Minelab Xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, 4500, Explorer, E-trac,Xterra705, Garrett GTI 2500I, Sea Hunter,Infinium, Gold, Garrett ATPro, Fisher F75, Gold Bug, Two Box, Electroscope, Regulat
Pinenut,

The 3.5 mm headphone usually break off very soon after using them in the field the first time a stick drags your phones off your head. I have never had to repair the 1/4 inch headphone plugs. The 90 degree angle is very important as it hugs closer to the detector when swinging it around in the field. I usually Velcro them in place also to help keep them in good condition. I like the Pro Gold Headphones the best as I have had most all of them at one time or another. The have a limiter built into the headphones that help when you hit a big close target that would normally be heard from across a football field with most other headphones on the market. They also have another switch that makes them compatible with almost every name brand detectors on the market today.
I hope this helps,
Treasures Down Under

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the DetectorPro Treasure Ears. It's a half way between cheap Treasure Wise and expensive Grey Ghosts, Killer Bee's and the like. You can get them usually for $45.

They fit snug on the noggin until they are used a few times and then feel more comfortable. They still allow hearing surrounding sounds through the mesh foam cups.

TreasureEarsHeadphones.jpg
Treasure Ears[SUP]TM[/SUP]stereo headphones were designed to accommodate the detectorist who desires a lightweight comfortable headphone with a price point below our professional grade phones.
[h=4]Technical Specifications:[/h]
  • Designed in the U.S.A.
  • Excellent sound quality for metal detecting
  • Separate volume control for each ear
  • Comfortable lightweight design
  • Adjustable headband with Stainless Steel frame
  • Coiled cord for easy extension
  • 1/4" right-angle plug
  • Built with quality materials
  • Speakers designed for maximum sensitivity
  • Power Output: 100 milli-watts
  • Impedance: 32 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 105 db
  • Cord Length: 6 ft. (extended)
  • Backed by a 1 Year Warranty

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a pair of Black Widows, that I have had to get re-cabled the last 2 seasons. I believe any headphone will be alright for you. It does make a difference, especially when you are using a sound only detector. I use an El Cheapo $5 pair when it's hot or my other is are out for repair.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut,

Before you buy do yourself a favor and go to the Killer Bees website Killer B site .
Read up on the "Optima" series, and what they say about vinyl vs leather ear muffs and also their warrenty.

Vinyl is used on all the cheapies and you won't be happy for long ! I have an email reply from Killer Bees saying they use leather on all their ear muffs.

As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for !"

Good Luck with whatever you choose ! :wink:

ToddB64

Target Terror

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon & Whites Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's wrong with using modern lightweight phones at around 32 Ohms?

Absolutely nothing, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

These can be had with neodymium magnet drivers, as cheaply as about $15 from WallyWorld!

Don't let marketing hype drive you to the line of thinking that Neo is better. Neo is stronger and thus size of the motor can be reduced. It makes sense when weighed into certain design considerations and goals. But I hear ya on the cheap!

Why in this day and age are new detectors equipped with the ancient standard of 1/4" plugs, and not the current standard, 3.5mm?

Some are equipped with 3.5mm output jacks. Mostly entry level detectors. A 1/4" plug is more robust. It's the go-to choice for professional grade.

Why are modern phones for metal detectors still looking like they were designed in the 1950s or '60s?

I suppose they're scoring good deals to have their names slapped on the cans of already available commercial products and have little say in the asthetics. Even if they did, it's probably not high on the list of important changes to make. Design wise they're robust and offer good noise isolation. That's important if you're swinging with them day in and day out. It's also important to folks with hearing loss that don't needs those faint signals being drown out by traffic noise. It also helps save your hearing because you're not boosting volume to drown out background noise. It also helps that nearly all offered models include volume control whereas most detectors offer none. So really I think it boils down to practicality and durability. They're also pretty comfortable. It just works well. Tough to argue that. We don't go out to win fashion shows. We're essentially playing in the dirt.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try these , light, well made, cheaper than full set and safer.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, everyone! I decided to go with this setup. "Toxix" headphones which fit under my bucket hat, an external volume control, and 1/4" - 3.5mm adapter. Works well so far! Headphones are light, sound good, and were only $13. When I rip the cord out of 'em, I'll buy another set. ^_^

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    900.8 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 162

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinenut, your phones on the ear an don't block external noise. They would get to be uncomfortable after a while being pressed on the ears. What ever works for you, but many hunters use the best they can get.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once bought a set like that, found with pulling them on and off add sweat the leatherette covering started coming off, had little black flakes all over my ears/face, used them around my neck till I got my old Koss headphones fixed, rubber ear cuffs/padding are a must as well as the top of the head padding... The detector pro treasure ears and killer B`s look like winners,especially like the ear pads on the detector pro, my head sweats out in the heat.
I wanted to add that the reason you want a higher Ohm is that they will transmit subtle nuances in the audio that low Ohm do not,not important when your digging it all but as you listen for fringe targets and the broken audio of a piece of foil you will want to upgrade, as well battery will last a little longer with higher ohm phones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut, your phones on the ear an don't block external noise. They would get to be uncomfortable after a while being pressed on the ears. What ever works for you, but many hunters use the best they can get.

It's quiet here in the forest, and I do want to be able to hear what's around me. On-ear is what I wanted. My main requirements for headphones were to NOT be bulky, and to fit under a bucket hat. These do. Sound quality was also considered, and of the three brands I'd tried, these not only sounded best but were most comfortable. I had considered some headphones like the Killer B's, GG's and Widows, but they're all too bulky. Cost wasn't that much of an issue, but being cheaper is always a plus, if the other requirements have been met. Only potential drawback I can see with these I've bought, is durability. But, I can buy ten sets for the price of one Killer B's (and B's don't fit under the hat..). Anyway, I'll play with these 'till they break. If it turns out that I'm not happy with my choice, there are always the bulky ones to try... ^_^

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried a lot of different headphones before settling in on Killer B Wasp Headphones. Until you try them, you won't know what you're missing. It's not just a little difference. When I'm swinging one of my Tesoro detectors they're a must have for me.

tabman

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been using metal detectors since 1964, and never did like using headphones, but, I will take my friend Tabman advice, and purchase a Killer B Wasp headphones. Where can they be purchased?

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been using metal detectors since 1964, and never did like using headphones, but, I will take my friend Tabman advice, and purchase a Killer B Wasp headphones. Where can they be purchased?

I took a sweep of ebay and only found other model killer B`s but not that model, maybe an older model or maybe just unlucky, seen a used pair though.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the same setup on my Vaquero for the last four years. I put the Koss volume control behind the armrest and use either Koss KSC75 clip on the ear type phones about 15 dollars or Sonys that have the strap that goes behind your head so I can wear a big sun hat on the beach. I also like to hear whats going on around me and can have a conversation without having to remove them and they're super comfortable. They have great specs and I have never figured out why if the signal to noise ratio and sensitivity ratings are good (101) and 60 ohms why some one would need to spend any more unless your in such a noisy environment that you needed a pair with good noise dampening. I have used the same phones in the wet with waves crashing with my old Soveriegn XS and hear just fine. If you can hear the threshold why wouldn't you hear it waver or drop slightly? This would be an easy test to A-B two headsets on even air tests has anyone tried?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Phillips SHS5200 head phones.
Google them, and see. Strain-relief on a very forgiving cord. 1/8 inch plug.
The phones fit behind the head, allowing the user to wear hat.
Easy to get used to, cheap-ish as far as cost, but do the trick.
Allows outside noise too, so you don't get many surprises, while in the woods...!
Comfortable and cool in the summer sun.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm too cheap, I had a pair of noise canceling headphones from Sams Club, replaced the straight cable with a coiled one to keep it out of the way off of ebay for $3, added a Koss volume control for $9 and zip tied it to the shaft. Works fine for when I want to use headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread