Ground balance adjust and threshold....

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my 3rd vaquero, however it's the first with this "warbely" threshold when adjusting the gb, in otherwords, the threshold revs up then evens out when I'm ground balancing. Why do some machines do that and others don't? my outlaw did it for the short while I had it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First clean out the coil cover. Are you near your house with a security system? Turn off your cell phone as some detectors don't play well with them.
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/ElectricalInterference.htm Read this.

Navy1.JPG

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you are in GB and Thres set to hum, you adjust the GB it goes WHOOOooooo?
Im not a DR and I dont play one on TV but , I think it has to do with the power going through the Potentiometer. A small surge then a leveling off may account for the audio increasing then flatting out. You're just hearing that small surge through the audio signal portion of the machine. I dont think it effects the machine. You will still get it balanced and it will still find the goodies.
Found this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

Last edited:
OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, thats exactly it Hobojo, the sound.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So maybe an inferior pot? Even though it seems to work fine, I don't like how it functions.

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tiger shark has made the same sound since I got it ..well until a this week now it only makes it every 8-15 turns of the GB knob ... I been thinking I broke it ..lol..

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So maybe an inferior pot? Even though it seems to work fine, I don't like how it functions.

You just have a worn or dirty pot; nothing personal. The Vaquero I recently picked up does, too. Still adjusts OK though, but GB jumps a bit by putting a finger on the knob. One of these days I may swap it out for a new 10 turn pot. ^_^

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo, I called tesoro this morning, spoke to Alan I think it was don't hold me to it, explained my issue, sounded like it was the first time he's heard of this? Think the outlaws do the same? Sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. But anyway, says it'll cost me $50 (since not original owner) plus $12ish to get it there. Better off changing it myself? That's what I'm thinking.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm shocked that a few people balk at sending their used machine in for a repair and tune up that will cost less than $75.00, make their machine run like new (maybe better), and increases the resale value. You can take the box off the rod to ship. :skullflag:

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya but....many times I've seen people send their machines in and they come back with the same primary gripe. The tech told me he'd never heard of this issue, and he's saying maybe emi? No dice..hunt this spot all the time, even with other vaqueros. Other people have the same "quirk" and work with it but it drives me nuts.

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre,Goldbug 2,MXT e-Track four coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swapped the pot on my used Vaq ,works so much better.Adjustment is not centered on my 10 turn pot .But its petter then before.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All mine do this when turning positive. My stock vaquero, my outlaw and my modded cibola with Bourne's 10 turn pot. Nothing when going negative turns. But when going positive the threshold revs up.
I thought it was because mine all do this.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All mine do this when turning positive. My stock vaquero, my outlaw and my modded cibola with Bourne's 10 turn pot. Nothing when going negative turns. But when going positive the threshold revs up.
I thought it was because mine all do this.

Mine do it too.

Now it we could find a way to get rid of the extra loud battery check. The Compadre battery check is the worst!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread