Vaquero discrimination vs all metal depth

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting to love my Tesoros, I don't want to bother everyone repeating what has been said too many times already.

But this Vaquero is something else! Super tuned, hits quarter deeper than any other detector I have. Discrimination still works at those depths.

Question is, when you switch it to all metal and have to turn the threshold back down, you're losing a lot of depth. Or run the discrimination at minimum, though it still eliminates the lowest stuff being ED120. I'm use to switching to all metal to get more depth out of a detector.

Right now it's like I need to carry my F75 for all metal and carry the Vaquero for digging up silver and gold passing on junk.

I guess that's what makes it a hobby, piddling with everything, enjoying the trip.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is impossible to design a detector that does it all well. Anytime you are in disc you lose some depth because of filters built into the circuit. An not all detectors of a certain model are the same because of the components. Some are hotter and some suck. Then some work better with different coils.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something doesn't sound right to me. I have always got more depth in All Metal. Granted, with the Vaquero you don't lose much in discriminate mode, but the machine SHOULD be just as deep or DEEPER in All Metal.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a test garden, not very old unfortunately. Take the Vaquero and set for all metal and threshold, and ground balance it. Lets say its barely getting a silver quarter at 8 inches. Turn on discrimination to say a nickel. With the discrimination circuit squelching all but a good hit, crank the threshold on up to say 3 o'clock. It will sound off on the ten inch quarter and stay silent on the nickel at 6 inches.

If you go back to all metal, the 3 o'clock threshold setting makes it unusable.

As I observe it, with a Vaquero, you can hit deeper quarters in disc than you can all metal because in all metal you can't run the machine at a higher level.

Maybe someone can try it and duplicate what I'm seeing.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really special vaquero that gets the silver and gold and passes up the junk.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have tried the supertuning a few times and have found the discrimination useless. it hits on everything, small clumps of rusted away somethings, and sometimes, nothing at all. i dont even bother with it. i will turn up the threshold a bit in a field or something to get a bit more depth where there is not a lot of targets. but, supertuning, power balancing, etc. i dont mess with. why have manual GB to run it unbalanced? seems to defeat the purpose of having it. i can still find the silver with a neutral GB. all this depth, depth, depth, i personally like good discrimination and the vaq is deep enough. yet, i'm just a recreational detecting guy, not a "pro" be no means.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have tried the supertuning a few times and have found the discrimination useless. it hits on everything, small clumps of rusted away somethings, and sometimes, nothing at all. i dont even bother with it. i will turn up the threshold a bit in a field or something to get a bit more depth where there is not a lot of targets. but, supertuning, power balancing, etc. i dont mess with. why have manual GB to run it unbalanced? seems to defeat the purpose of having it. i can still find the silver with a neutral GB. all this depth, depth, depth, i personally like good discrimination and the vaq is deep enough. yet, i'm just a recreational detecting guy, not a "pro" be no means.

I will agree with jld66 here, that the disc gets "unreliable" when super tuned; but still serves a purpose. I can take my Tejon and hunt a campsite until no signals are left....then supertune and get a few more bullets and buttons that were too deep for standard operation. Yes, i will dig a few nails, but that is relic hunting.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with jld66 here, that the disc gets "unreliable" when super tuned; but still serves a purpose. I can take my Tejon and hunt a campsite until no signals are left....then supertune and get a few more bullets and buttons that were too deep for standard operation. Yes, i will dig a few nails, but that is relic hunting.

I agree, if you crank everything wide open, it gets squirrely. But in my back yard test garden, in discrimination mode I can increase the threshold some, and hit coins that the detector will miss in all metal. And its still stable and quiet....

Is that what you said about digging a few more bullets and buttons?

My point was, a Vaquero will go deeper in discrimination mode than all metal. Contrary to every other detector I've had my hands on.

And that's a good thing because it blows away my Fishers in discrimination mode.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep thats what i meant....

My F75 ltd was deeper in disc than all metal after coming back from upgrade.......before upgrade all-metal was way deeper.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep thats what i meant....

My F75 ltd was deeper in disc than all metal after coming back from upgrade.......before upgrade all-metal was way deeper.

I just got my F75 back from upgrade, I'll have to try it again.

A friend had a Cibola he needed to get rid of, that's a heck of a machine too, put the Vaquero 11x8 on it....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my F75 back from upgrade, I'll have to try it again.

A friend had a Cibola he needed to get rid of, that's a heck of a machine too, put the Vaquero 11x8 on it....

Have to be in BP.....not sure about the other processes, but BP was Deepest in disc at 99 sense. more so than even AM.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to be in BP.....not sure about the other processes, but BP was Deepest in disc at 99 sense. more so than even AM.

Sure is, just checked it. Awesome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions