Rechargeable batteries

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any one use rechargeable batteries. If yes what is good for my Vaq.

I use Tenergy rechargeable batteries in mine. They are a low self discharge battery, that run around 5 hours or so in my Vaquero. Get yourself a couple with a charger and you'll be set to go.

tabman

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Tenergy rechargeable batteries in mine. They are a low self discharge battery, that run around 5 hours or so in my Vaquero. Get yourself a couple with a charger and you'll be set to go.

tabman

How does their size come out? I grabbed some lithium ion and they are a hair longer making it feel like I'm going to break something. Seem longer and fatter.

OP
OP
N

Nomad NJ

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I followed tabs advice and bought them. They are larger but the post are shorter. They are a little snug but work fine. I had to put a piece of cardboard in my Garret pinpointed to get it to work.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I could order some spare battery doors. On my F2 and F5, standard batteries are already tight, I can't get the rechargeables I have to go.

I thought I'd give rechargeables another chance since I got a Tesoro, but now I know why I gave up on them the first try.

OP
OP
N

Nomad NJ

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries
I have the nixed batteried

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhm? Im wondering if when the voltage drops on ANY battery it also causes a change in the depth sensitivity. This is something I often think about but have never followed through on testing. Some "9" volt batts are not at 9 volts. I have seen them from 7.9 to 10.2 volts in my testing for another hobby. The lower voltage has a slower cycling rate in one of my paintball guns so I always check the "9" volts to find the highest voltage possible to get the fastest cycling.
I have been only using the copper and red batteries "Quantum" from Duracell in my Tesoros' as I have found them to have the most consisant voltage and longest run time over their drain life.
How do the rechargables fair as to run time and voltage drop when your using them?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhm? Im wondering if when the voltage drops on ANY battery it also causes a change in the depth sensitivity. This is something I often think about but have never followed through on testing. Some "9" volt batts are not at 9 volts. I have seen them from 7.9 to 10.2 volts in my testing for another hobby. The lower voltage has a slower cycling rate in one of my paintball guns so I always check the "9" volts to find the highest voltage possible to get the fastest cycling.
I have been only using the copper and red batteries "Quantum" from Duracell in my Tesoros' as I have found them to have the most consisant voltage and longest run time over their drain life.
How do the rechargables fair as to run time and voltage drop when your using them?

I haven't noticed any problems with my Tesoros. Running two beeps is fine, but at one beep, you need a new battery. I was surprised at one beep being like 7 something volts. And no loss in performance, just as deep with a fresh battery as one needing to be changed shortly.

The 8 volt nicads run fine....

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I could order some spare battery doors. On my F2 and F5, standard batteries are already tight, I can't get the rechargeables I have to go.

I thought I'd give rechargeables another chance since I got a Tesoro, but now I know why I gave up on them the first try.
I use Tenergy's in my F2 and they fit just fine. I am about to order a F5 so I just ordered extra batteries for it.

OP
OP
N

Nomad NJ

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Was Using Duracell cooper top for about 5 hours and they pileup. I use the rechargeable for 5 hrs with no difference.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tabman

Can you put some calipers on one of the Tenergy batteries and post the dimensions?

An alkaline is about 1.87" tall and .660" "thick"

A rechargeable that I have is 1.90" tall and .680" thick.

the "tall" makes is snug to push in, the "thick" makes it near impossible to get the battery cover door on

Thanks!

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with lithium ion batteries as there voltage is 3.7 to 4.2 volts I use them in my metal detector but I only use 3 instead of the 8 and I made dummy batteries for the other 5 spots. Also watch the voltage and never let them drop below 3.0 volts.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with lithium ion batteries as there voltage is 3.7 to 4.2 volts I use them in my metal detector but I only use 3 instead of the 8 and I made dummy batteries for the other 5 spots. Also watch the voltage and never let them drop below 3.0 volts.

Im using lithium 9v batteries, they're like 8.4v or so. Im at a loss what you have at 4v each.

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im using lithium 9v batteries, they're like 8.4v or so. Im at a loss what you have at 4v each.

I use AA size cells and there voltage when charged is 4.2 volts each so I can only use 3 cells to take the place of the 8 ( 12 volt ) that goes into my machine. Now I can use my metal detector for about week and a half before I replace them with a charged of set (3). It was a simple mod and the battery test the machine has is spot on so when I hear 3 beeps I cut it off and do a replace with a fresh set.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use AA size cells and there voltage when charged is 4.2 volts each so I can only use 3 cells to take the place of the 8 ( 12 volt ) that goes into my machine. Now I can use my metal detector for about week and a half before I replace them with a charged of set (3). It was a simple mod and the battery test the machine has is spot on so when I hear 3 beeps I cut it off and do a replace with a fresh set.

I'm old, I'm on page now. Yeah, on the 9v Lithiums, they use two cells, giving you 8.4 v which is fine on my Tesoros. They run fine down to 7v or so.

Just the rechargeable 9v are too large in size, feels like I'm going to break something.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you put some calipers on one of the Tenergy batteries and post the dimensions?

An alkaline is about 1.87" tall and .660" "thick"

A rechargeable that I have is 1.90" tall and .680" thick.

the "tall" makes is snug to push in, the "thick" makes it near impossible to get the battery cover door on

Thanks!

I got two Tenergy 200ma 9v in today.

.644 thick and 1.88 tall. Thinner than an alkaline, door easily slips on.

Perfect!

While only 200ma, I think they'll be fine.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw it out there, seems dangerous to have fully charged lithium ion batteries in your home or car?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread