dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to be the only person on this forum that has a problem with digging a lot of iron with a Tesoro....that says "user error" to me. I will say that you will dig less nails and iron with an Etrac or Explorer than any other machine but they don't perform well here and definitely wont be getting those 10" dimes people talk about. The most nails I have dug have been a close tie between the F75 and the CZ-3d. These machines would sound off on deep targets but the CZ made deep square nails sound and ID like coins. The F75 (in hot ground) made everything look/sound like a nail past the 7 or 8" mark, so to get a good target deep you had to dig about 20 or so nails for every bullet, button or coin. I haave had very little problem relic hunting with the Tejon or Vaquero digging nails. And relic hunters dig almost everything. I do dig a few nails but no more than any other machine. I usually hunt with disc on foil and dig all good, 2 way signals. I dig horse shoes and other big iron but I know it is big iron before digging. If you don't dig these you could be missing good finds such as a cannon ball, bayonet, etc. I will take my Tejon over just about anything else for a relic hunt.

Being childish makes you seem petty.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont argue with you....I have display cases full of relics to back my claims.....

I hope you find everything you dream of. The one thing I can agree on is the Tesoro's are good relic detectors. Not so good at telling deep coins from say a rusty washer. And you know good and well I'm not the only one to bring it up.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find everything you dream of. The one thing I can agree on is the Tesoro's are good relic detectors. Not so good at telling deep coins from say a rusty washer. And you know good and well I'm not the only one to bring it up.

All I know is in my soil.....my Tejon will stomp on any of the machines you have listed on a deep coin, bullet, button or anything else. I know this because I have owned all of those machines.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can afford a new Minelab CTX 3030, for goodness sake buy one. If you just can't afford $2,500.00 but still want to find everything the Minelab will, get yourself a Tesoro Tejon for $600.00.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't guess I'll ever have enough money or experience to know what I'm not digging up. I think its awesome some people do.

I'm digging for fun, not profit. I like to think I have the funds to buy just about any detector on the market, but I doubt the wife would want me spending 10 grand on something she knows is just another toy to play with. (She's already told me no more detectors...)

There's just something I liked about Tesoro that made me choose the brand. I'm somewhat of a luddite, and prefer analog, almost everything. I still have a vinyl record collection and love the sound. Still use film cameras, develop my own b&w film and have a collection of old lightweight STEEL bicycles. Crazy, huh?

If you're digging lots less trash with a good ID detector, that's great. While I'm trying to figure out which end is up, I'll dig quite a few pulltabs, I guess. Meanwhile, I think the dual disc feature on my Tejon is pretty helpful with deciding what and what not to dig. Maybe someday if I get more serious with detecting I'll outgrow the Tesoros...

^_^

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is in my soil.....my Tejon will stomp on any of the machines you have listed on a deep coin, bullet, button or anything else. I know this because I have owned all of those machines.

Thankfully your soil compromises such a small part of the country that it doesn't mean a thing for 99.9percent of us. Raw depth rarely is an advantage. Ferous vs nonferrous is more important to me anyway.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully your soil compromises such a small part of the country that it doesn't mean a thing for 99.9percent of us. Raw depth rarely is an advantage. Ferous vs nonferrous is more important to me anyway.

I hate to break it to you but many, many relic hunters flock here every year to participate in DIV.....which is located about 30 minutes from my house! So more care about my soil than you think....

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we all can sit around and debate this for days. i have been out lately this season with someone who uses both the nokta fors core and a marko racer, i use a vaquero. we sometimes check each others targets to guess what it may be. he will get high numbers and tone on one that will break up at very little disc on mine. he will dig it and trash. other times i will get a decent signal and he will get a low number on it, i dig it and its trash. i like mine, he likes his. having fun is the important thing. i will say, i tried both his machines and i would take the marko over the nokta anyday. would not give up the vaq for the marko though. i would have to own the both of them. would not own a garrett ace series or an at-pro. if i did, i would trade it for a pinpointer... haha

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
All I got to say is, the Silver uMax is better than anything else I own when it comes to detecting anything in the ground! ...Or at least it will be when it gets here. :laughing9:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's talk about a few different Tesoro models - Silver uMax; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq.

There is virtually no difference in depth between just over Iron, and MAX discrimination with the Silver uMax. The Vaquero is the same. The Lobo Super Traq, reverts to a factory preset Ground Balance as soon as you turn on ANY discrimination, and does lose significant depth compared to All Metal. As a GENERAL rule, Gain or "Sensitivity" effects depth much more than Discrimination.

Believe you are right Terry,
and RUNNING my CIBOLA, things are pretty much the same.

Of course it has no way to adjust with changing ground generalization conditions,
but at least it says metal is there anyway, so in most conditions, no matter what..., stuff is found...!
Depth is at least the depth of the coil's diameter, which is good....
Very little depth lost, if at all, using no discrimination - every object makes noise!
It still has a GREAT discriminator, albeit ANOLOG control...! :thumbsup:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the machines I own have a specific purpose and they all work better than the other in certain scenarios. The original poster wanted to know about discrimination versus depth. The Vaquero is really good at telling a coin at depth, better than most machines. To give an example I was hunting with the CTX at the local old park and hit a 12 40 signal at 8 in. I knew it was probably a wheat cent because of the depth and the reading. I flagged it and went and got the Deus. In full tones, 0 disc sense at 93 it gave no VDI but that distinctive dig me tone that full tones gives so I would have dug it. The Fors Relic hit it but the ID was sparatic so not sure I would have dug it. The F75 was the same. The Vaquero with the 8 x 11 RSD coil hit it and would not disc out so I would have dug it. In my soul the Vaquero is a great machine for the price, hard to beat.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On
I hate to break it to you but many, many relic hunters flock here every year to participate in DIV.....which is located about 30 minutes from my house! So more care about my soil than you think....

I wonder why if the Fisher and t2 struggle so bad in Virginia that they dominate the Grand National Relic Shootout? Must not be too bad. The last one I could find was 2013 but I believe there were tesores then.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On

I wonder why if the Fisher and t2 struggle so bad in Virginia that they dominate the Grand National Relic Shootout? Must not be too bad. The last one I could find was 2013 but I believe there were tesores then.

Do a little research, that relic shootout was a joke....just a publicity stunt for the "big name" manufacturers. You know why they quit doing them? Because none of them would stand a chance against the Deus in trained hands.....thats why.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a little research, that relic shootout was a joke....just a publicity stunt for the "big name" manufacturers. You know why they quit doing them? Because none of them would stand a chance against the Deus in trained hands.....thats why.
OK. Those other companies just let First Texas win I see.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've looked around, good luck on finding complete results of any of these "National" competitions.

Old results:
http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/GNRS/gnrs.html

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford a new Minelab CTX 3030, for goodness sake buy one. If you just can't afford $2,500.00 but still want to find everything the Minelab will, get yourself a Tesoro Tejon for $600.00.

Funny thing about all this. I know a guy on another forum that consistently makes a lot of good finds with a CTX, but he digs EVERYTHING. Sometimes I think to myself, why do guys buy all the super high tech. stuff if they are just going to dig it all anyway ? But we all march to our own drummer and if he is happy, go hard buddy. My back is shot and I often use discrimination, but I have fun also. Funny how this stuff rolls at times.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1461596694230.jpg
    1461596694230.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one. I saw a couple of older ones where Tesoro is #2 and #3 behind Nautilus.

Who was number 1? Everyone I've seen first texas was no1. Digger says the struggle in Virginia, all I'm saying is they don't seem to struggle to bad.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread