Tesoro discrimination vs depth ?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whose was number 1? Everyone I've seen first texas was no1. Digger says the struggle in Virginia, all I'm saying is they don't seem to struggle to bad.

The results were in the link I posted.

Nautilus was #1.

The GNRS Information Pages

Garrett placing last in most competitions doesn't seem to have hurt their success.

Right now, after searching further and not finding much of anything else, I am skeptical of these hunts too.

Where are all of the results?

Seems it isn't too organized sometimes either....
Organized Relic Hunt Comes Under Fire in Stafford County

My last post on this thread.

Good luck !

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one shoots Remington firearms in the Olympics, but they are the #1 selling gun company in America......why? They aren't cheap.....It's because they are good quality at a fair price. Which is why Garrett and Tesoro are doing fine. In Culpeper, VA. (where DIV is held) there are spots where a 3-4" minnieball is hard to find with a T2 or F75.....I am not making this stuff up. I live here! Why would I use machines that didn't perform better for me? Just think about it Dirtscratcher, it makes no sense that I would get rid of machines unless they performed poorly for me.

There is a field not to far down the road where I recently performed a little test. I knew the dirt was pretty hot, so I cut a 6" plug (measured) placed a dime in and stomped it down good. I had my Sovereign GT....the only sound with any setting I could get on the dime was in all metal with manual sense. cranked all the way up and I could get a slight waver in threshold. My buddy had the Deus with 9" coil and to my surpise could not get the dime at a mere 6" either. Mineralized ground changes everything....and if I lived somewhere else my detectors that I own may be a lot different.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The results were in the link I posted.

Nautilus was #1.

The GNRS Information Pages

Garrett placing last in most competitions doesn't seem to have hurt their success.

Right now, after searching further and not finding much of anything else, I am skeptical of these hunts too.

Where are all of the results?

Seems it isn't too organized sometimes either....
Organized Relic Hunt Comes Under Fire in Stafford County

My last post on this thread.

Good luck !

Not to organized, if you read it it's says the relic hunters were an innocent third party. You're being a little tough on them.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's more 1461611548311.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one shoots Remington firearms in the Olympics, but they are the #1 selling gun company in America......why? They aren't cheap.....It's because they are good quality at a fair price. Which is why Garrett and Tesoro are doing fine. In Culpeper, VA. (where DIV is held) there are spots where a 3-4" minnieball is hard to find with a T2 or F75.....I am not making this stuff up. I live here! Why would I use machines that didn't perform better for me? Just think about it Dirtscratcher, it makes no sense that I would get rid of machines unless they performed poorly for me.

There is a field not to far down the road where I recently performed a little test. I knew the dirt was pretty hot, so I cut a 6" plug (measured) placed a dime in and stomped it down good. I had my Sovereign GT....the only sound with any setting I could get on the dime was in all metal with manual sense. cranked all the way up and I could get a slight waver in threshold. My buddy had the Deus with 9" coil and to my surpise could not get the dime at a mere 6" either. Mineralized ground changes everything....and if I lived somewhere else my detectors that I own may be a lot different.

All I would have is a GPX 4500 with 5x10, 11" and 12x15 coils if I lived where you do. It just works there! All of these were 10-16" deep! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461616327.372878.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461616522.759405.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461616590.831079.jpg

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch....you are deadon, just keep having to put money into other things. maybe some day....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know their pricing has come way down right? I know it sounds too good to be true but I have seen 1 month old 4500's sell for less than $2k.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ....waiting for the right deal or to get the extra cash together for a new one....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one on another forum with 3 extra coils for $2100 with plenty of warranty left.

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very hard time going with a Tesoro over all the other machines I was researching. I am 30 years old and work in IT, and love the latest and greatest. When I first started researching machines, I laughed at the first Tesoro I saw. It looked like a 1980s hunk of junk.

Then I started seeing the Vaq popping in test after test, having fast recovery, ultra light, and DEEP. These were all the attributes I was pretty sure I wanted. However, I kept wanting VDI and all these other features.

Finally, I found a VDI chart here on the forums for an ATPro. Go take a look at it, its in the Garrett section. Give it a read line by line. Guess what? All those VDIs for Tabs or other junk, also contain entries for GOOOOD stuff. That plus the light weight finally sold me on the Vaq.

TL:DR - I am pretty set that there are basically 2 ways to hunt, both of which a Tesoro will crush it at. Type 1 - crank your disc and cherry pick coins. Type 2 - Disc out a nail and dig it all! Sure you can hear subtle differences with the Tesoro too, but you wont know what you are leaving behind unless you just dig it! VDI wont help you there either, because some trash signals hide some of the best treasures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread