pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I understand that some depth is lost by running in disc mode. Does this loss incsease as discrimination is set even higher, or is it genreally the same loss any time you're out of all-metal? Also, do some Tesoro machines seem to lose more depth in disc than other models do?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's talk about a few different Tesoro models - Silver uMax; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq.

There is virtually no difference in depth between just over Iron, and MAX discrimination with the Silver uMax. The Vaquero is the same. The Lobo Super Traq, reverts to a factory preset Ground Balance as soon as you turn on ANY discrimination, and does lose significant depth compared to All Metal. As a GENERAL rule, Gain or "Sensitivity" effects depth much more than Discrimination.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I understand that some depth is lost by running in disc mode. Does this loss incsease as discrimination is set even higher, or is it genreally the same loss any time you're out of all-metal? Also, do some Tesoro machines seem to lose more depth in disc than other models do?

My vaquero lost depth as disc was increased. All detectors do except some first texas detectors where gain is tied to disc.
Try air test for yourself.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's talk about a few different Tesoro models - Silver uMax; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq.

There is virtually no difference in depth between just over Iron, and MAX discrimination with the Silver uMax. The Vaquero is the same....As a GENERAL rule, Gain or "Sensitivity" effects depth much more than Discrimination.

Terry, doesn't gain/sensitivity just turn up the volume on weak signals?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vaquero lost depth as disc was increased. All detectors do except some first texas detectors where gain is tied to disc.
Try air test for yourself.

Thanks, that's what I'll try with each Tesoro I pick up. When I did air tests with my Tejon, I was in a hurry to take it out in the yard to play...didn't spend much time air testing. ^_^

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gain and sensitivity are not the same. Some detectors have adjustments for both. Sensitivity is power of signal and gain is strength of response. With the explorer deep targets can be made to respond with faint response increased with gain all the way up to the same as a shallow target.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector (that I have used or seen) loses its ability to properly ID a given target at a certain depth.......That depth will vary from detector to detector. I have used a bunch of machines and of the ones I have used the best "IDer's" at decent depths were the Minelabs (explorers and etracs) and the Tesoro's. The Garretts are spot on to about 7" then you better dig anything questionable. However, in hot ground this all changes. The Minelabs fall apart here and will ID 3-ringers as nails at 6-8"....The Fisher F75 and Teknetics T2 will do the same. You have to dig a bunch of nails to find this out (I did). So for me (in Virginia hot red dirt) I need machines that ID well at depth in hot ground, so my choices is the Tesoro's and the Garretts as they seem to "hold up" well in the Hot Stuff. I have done several tests in average ground with Tesoros (Vaquero and Tejon) and other brands mentioned and the Tesoro's will hold their own on the ID part.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As long time gold prospector and nuggetshooter Bill Southern says, think of Sensitivity like the squelch knob on a CB radio. Use the right amount and you'll get a clear signal. Use too much and all you'll hear is static. Maxing out your sensitivity is OK in some soils, but using too much in heavy mineral-rich soil can actually decrease your depth. Bright lights in a heavy fog would be a good metaphor.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector (that I have used or seen) loses its ability to properly ID a given target at a certain depth.......That depth will vary from detector to detector. I have used a bunch of machines and of the ones I have used the best "IDer's" at decent depths were the Minelabs (explorers and etracs) and the Tesoro's. The Garretts are spot on to about 7" then you better dig anything questionable. However, in hot ground this all changes. The Minelabs fall apart here and will ID 3-ringers as nails at 6-8"....The Fisher F75 and Teknetics T2 will do the same. You have to dig a bunch of nails to find this out (I did). So for me (in Virginia hot red dirt) I need machines that ID well at depth in hot ground, so my choices is the Tesoro's and the Garretts as they seem to "hold up" well in the Hot Stuff. I have done several tests in average ground with Tesoros (Vaquero and Tejon) and other brands mentioned and the Tesoro's will hold their own on the ID part.

Always good for a laugh, Tesoro giving a good id at depth. That's funny right there in don't care who you are.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good for a laugh, Tesoro giving a good id at depth. That's funny right there in don't care who you are.

Being new to Tesoro detectors, I understand what he means.

My Vaquero is quieter and goes deeper using discrimination than my other detectors. I have some deep silver quarters in the garden that ring up as high conductors on the Vaquero, while this same setting passes over a 4" nickel without a peep. The other detectors just beep inconsistent garbage I would usually pass on.

Sure, it doesnt tell me whether its a quarter or dime, but it is the best detector running discrimination, telling me I need to dig the target.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, it doesnt tell me whether its a quarter or dime, but it is the best detector running discrimination, telling me I need to dig the target.

I'm getting a little better with the ID guesses while using my Tejon. Main disc set at 5 cents, will still see a nickel there but knocks out small foil and small iron. Second disc set at tab, will still see tabs, but makes most of 'em sound "clicky" there. If it still sounds smooth and not too large when Xing the target in 2nd disc, I'll dig it. Sometimes it's a beavertail tab (they sound quite coinish), sometimes a steel bottlecap (though those often sound harsh), but sometimes it's a coin...
Got about 20 hours on the Tejon, so far; slowly learning. No, it still doesn't tell me just what kind of coin, but quarters do sound smooth & solid.

Not sure how it'll work in my nasty soil here, but I have a used Cortes coming next week (and a used Vaquero). Hopefully the Cortes will be able to ID targets here; I've read that in hot soil, they don't work too well. I'll probably need to run a small coil on it (?). Anyway, having fun. ^_^

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new to Tesoro detectors, I understand what he means.

My Vaquero is quieter and goes deeper using discrimination than my other detectors. I have some deep silver quarters in the garden that ring up as high conductors on the Vaquero, while this same setting passes over a 4" nickel without a peep. The other detectors just beep inconsistent garbage I would usually pass on.

Sure it doesn't tell whether it a quarter, dime or a piece of iron either.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it doesn't tell whether it a quarter, dime or a piece of iron either.

I guess I missed your joke then.

On my GoldBugPro, I have a beaver tail and a men's gold ring that both ring up 66. I have a newer can pop tab someone broke off and a woman's gold band that both ring up as 33.

I find myself enjoying the hobby much more after getting away from those detectors that "tell you what's in the ground". Beginners as I was believed the marketing unfortunately.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a guy swing at my place for a little while with a detector he had been using for 6 years - was either a Fisher or White's, I'm thinking White's. He kept bragging about how much he spent on the thing when he bought it. His machine kept telling him he was digging coins, but all he got was trash. ...I don't think his display had an icon for 'TRASH'. Sorry, I couldn't handle the continuous disappointment - getting my hopes built up only to keep finding pieces of copper tubing and such.

I think I'll like the Silver uMax!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I missed your joke then.

On my GoldBugPro, I have a beaver tail and a men's gold ring that both ring up 66. I have a newer can pop tab someone broke off and a woman's gold band that both ring up as 33.

I find myself enjoying the hobby much more after getting away from those detectors that "tell you what's in the ground". Beginners as I was believed the marketing unfortunately.

I'm the same but prefer one that is better at ferrous vs nonferrous. That's where tesores struggle. You mention a ring and a beaver tail ringing the same and you are right, it's not the detectors fault if you choose not to dig a target. My vaquero beeped the same on all targets. I'll take a detector that give clues but still digging almost all repeatable targets just not all the iron as when I used the vaquero. But I also have the choice to be more selective in manicured lawns where digging everything is not an option. I'm not arguing, someone thinking of purchasing a new detector deserve both sides of the story.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a guy swing at my place for a little while with a detector he had been using for 6 years - was either a Fisher or White's, I'm thinking White's. He kept bragging about how much he spent on the thing when he bought it. His machine kept telling him he was digging coins, but all he got was trash. ...I don't think his display had an icon for 'TRASH'. Sorry, I couldn't handle the continuous disappointment - getting my hopes built up only to keep finding pieces of copper tubing and such.

All they give is clues. Having a detector for 6 years doesn't mean you know how to use it. If you choose not to dig a target its your fault not the detector. If you think you won't be digging copper tubing and such with a silver umax you're in for a big surprise.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like my little silver uMax ok but you will still dig copper/stainless tubing, foil, canslaw, etc just like I will with the Safari. Conductivity numbers/ knob disc location will be identical to certain coins and jewelry.
The difference is if I'm in an area looking for deeper older coins/relics in the 8-12+" range the Safari will be my first choice. If I'm at a modern ballfield looking for clad and jewelry the Silver uMax with the cleansweep coil would be the better choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the only way to avoid trash is not dig. We could just dig areas without any trash (good luck), or wait for someone to come up with an Xray or video ultrasound that weighs 2-1/2# and costs what our detectors do... I'll dig some trash, I guess. Seems that so far, my ratio has been around 25 rusty bottle caps and beavertails to one coin.
Not too bad... I just tell myself I'm doing my part to clean up the forest.

Got a coinish sounding beep while out yesterday in a closed up camp area... Thought "hmmm...sounds like a quarter"... 'twas a small car ignition lock assy., I think. Oh well. I'm not trying to get rich doing this, just out getting fresh air and a little sunshine. Sure beats watching tv all day. ^_^

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the only way to avoid trash is not dig. We could just dig areas without any trash (good luck), or wait for someone to come up with an Xray or video ultrasound that weighs 2-1/2# and costs what our detectors do... I'll dig some trash, I guess. Seems that so far, my ratio has been around 25 rusty bottle caps and beavertails to one coin.
Not too bad... I just tell myself I'm doing my part to clean up the forest.

Got a coinish sounding beep while out yesterday in a closed up camp area... Thought "hmmm...sounds like a quarter"... 'twas a small car ignition lock assy., I think. Oh well. I'm not trying to get rich doing this, just out getting fresh air and a little sunshine. Sure beats watching tv all day. ^_^

I don't guess I'll ever have enough money or experience to know what I'm not digging up. I think its awesome some people do.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same but prefer one that is better at ferrous vs nonferrous. That's where tesores struggle. You mention a ring and a beaver tail ringing the same and you are right, it's not the detectors fault if you choose not to dig a target. My vaquero beeped the same on all targets. I'll take a detector that give clues but still digging almost all repeatable targets just not all the iron as when I used the vaquero. But I also have the choice to be more selective in manicured lawns where digging everything is not an option. I'm not arguing, someone thinking of purchasing a new detector deserve both sides of the story.

You seem to be the only person on this forum that has a problem with digging a lot of iron with a Tesoro....that says "user error" to me. I will say that you will dig less nails and iron with an Etrac or Explorer than any other machine but they don't perform well here and definitely wont be getting those 10" dimes people talk about. The most nails I have dug have been a close tie between the F75 and the CZ-3d. These machines would sound off on deep targets but the CZ made deep square nails sound and ID like coins. The F75 (in hot ground) made everything look/sound like a nail past the 7 or 8" mark, so to get a good target deep you had to dig about 20 or so nails for every bullet, button or coin. I haave had very little problem relic hunting with the Tejon or Vaquero digging nails. And relic hunters dig almost everything. I do dig a few nails but no more than any other machine. I usually hunt with disc on foil and dig all good, 2 way signals. I dig horse shoes and other big iron but I know it is big iron before digging. If you don't dig these you could be missing good finds such as a cannon ball, bayonet, etc. I will take my Tejon over just about anything else for a relic hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread