Cibola cable

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm looking for the cable to the coil. I accidently pulled the cable out of the machine side of the cable and really don't want to spend over 100 bucks on a new coil.

Thanks

I'm old I guess, what did you do again exactly? I found the connectors online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trying to edit it, but it wouldnt let me, but anyway, I snagged the 4 pin cable to my cibola's coil while taking it out of the car. It jerked the wires out of the connector that screws on the back of the machine. Looking for a replacement cable.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to edit it, but it wouldnt let me, but anyway, I snagged the 4 pin cable to my cibola's coil while taking it out of the car. It jerked the wires out of the connector that screws on the back of the machine. Looking for a replacement cable.

Ok, got it.

I think these are the connectors if you're cable is good.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/500657-4-5-pin-coil-connectors.html

I haven't tried messing with the coil end of the cable.

I broke a connector on a new 11x8, she said send it in, no problem. Cost me about ten bucks USPS. I haven't heard anything back yet. Give Tesoro a call, worth a shot before anything worse happens.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are the connectors easy to install? As far as I know mine is good, could I reconnect it? I've seen people resoilder the cable ends back together but not reinsert the cables back into the connector itself.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are the connectors easy to install? As far as I know mine is good, could I reconnect it? I've seen people resoilder the cable ends back together but not reinsert the cables back into the connector itself.

Guessing that the connector end unscrews giving access to the solder posts. I sort of doubt that they crimped onto the cable. Find out how it comes apart, strip back the wires & re-solder. You'll just end up with a slightly shorter cable. If all attempts fail, call Tesoro and ask 'em how to proceed... They seem quite nice on the phone. ^_^

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing that the connector end unscrews giving access to the solder posts. I sort of doubt that they crimped onto the cable. Find out how it comes apart, strip back the wires & re-solder. You'll just end up with a slightly shorter cable. If all attempts fail, call Tesoro and ask 'em how to proceed... They seem quite nice on the phone. ^_^

No, it's got a tab sticking up that needs to be depressed to allow the cable and connector to come out towards the front of the sleeve.

Last edited:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0186.JPG

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great jharhed!

The new 11x8 uses different colors instead of red and green. It was white and something else, I don't remember.

Wiring remains the same though.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't take credit for taking the pic, I just found it ;)

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pic diagram is great. I was able to use it and put my soldering skills to the test. With 2 attempts I have failed, double checking the diagram and for cross over wires. I just get a rapid beeping when I turn on my detector.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you soldering with a decent quality, fine tip, low Watt iron made for electronics work? Using a good 60/40 rosin core solder (I like Kester brand). Pre-tinning your wires and posts? Getting the posts spotlessly clean before soldering? Not sure what sort of soldering experience you have, but cleanliness and prep is the most difficult part. It is possible that your cable has a break in it somewhere else, or maybe one wire's not in the right spot.. ^_^

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the braided is touching something it shouldn't be? Hot glue makes a quick and easy insulator.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the braided is touching something it shouldn't be? Hot glue makes a quick and easy insulator.

I think what happened on my new 11x8 coil, they tinned the shield too far, ending up melting through the center conductor insulation.

On my stock 9x8 coil, pins 1-3 is a coil measuring 4.1 ohms. Pins 2-4 is the other coil measuring 67 ohms.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mine had a clear sleeve around the inside, maybe you can't have the shields touching each other or the sleeve of the connector.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got my coil back today. Works great, no charge for replacing the connector, came with a nice note from Rusty himself. Awesome!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my coil back today. Works great, no charge for replacing the connector, came with a nice note from Rusty himself. Awesome!

That's great to hear. Rusty is a awesome guy for sure!

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions