RUMOR that Vaqueros discrim out ZINC PENNIES?:(

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! I love how you insult other's intelligence when you don't understand something. It is quite obvious to most just upon cursory inspection that a zinc is not a copper. How many zincs do you find (under dirt) that are not already in some state of decomposition? Before 1981 they are copper. We ALL know this.

You certainly got that right. It is amazing that any of the rest of us can even turn on a detector, not to mention, even use one properly. Some just think they are so good, that they just cannot comprehend that there other people may actually know the same things or even more than they do. They are 100% right all of the time and if anyone has a different opinion or result, than they dont know what they are doing. It is quite pathetic. haha

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jld66 will your Vaquero discriminate out a 'zinc' penny?

tabman

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went ahead and tested my new black vaquero yesterday.

It has no problem discing out a zinc.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very new, but I believe too much negative GB will cause items to hit that should have been discd out. But, you also gain a ton of depth with negative GB.

Threw a new zinc penny on the ground. Discriminated it out easily. Cranked the ground balance a full turn both ways, no effect, still silent.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jld66 will your Vaquero discriminate out a 'zinc' penny?

tabman

yes i can but really high. yet, i had to remove the disc knob and adjust it so it would disc out a nickle at the 5 cent mark because it would disc out nickles just above the tab mark. i called tesoro about that when i found it out and Rusty himself told me to adjust the knob to a regular nickle, not a war one obviously. sometimes the knob can be a bit off from the factory. so, it may not either be something wrong with it or he does know the difference between a zinc or copper. the knob could have been put on the post a bit to much clockwise. so when turned all the way, it wont disc out zincs. thats a third reason. there is not only two possibilities as you suggested. in other words, you do not know it all and everything you say is not the absolute facts. lol

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say that you guys need to dump the penny, but it doesn't really matter. It was dropped a few years back here and the really crapulant clad type are still as common as rain drops. Slowly corroding, but I"m sure that we will still be digging clad coppers up here for another decade....or more.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes i can but really high. yet, i had to remove the disc knob and adjust it so it would disc out a nickle at the 5 cent mark because it would disc out nickles just above the tab mark. i called tesoro about that when i found it out and Rusty himself told me to adjust the knob to a regular nickle, not a war one obviously. sometimes the knob can be a bit off from the factory. so, it may not either be something wrong with it or he does know the difference between a zinc or copper. the knob could have been put on the post a bit to much clockwise. so when turned all the way, it wont disc out zincs. thats a third reason. there is not only two possibilities as you suggested. in other words, you do not know it all and everything you say is not the absolute facts. lol

On a properly working Vaquero if the discrimination knob is turned "all the way" completely clockwise it will discriminate out a zinc penny regardless of how the knob is put on the post. The first thing that I used to do when I first got a new Tesoro is to calibrate the knob to discriminate a nickel precisely at the 5 cent mark. Some like to calibrate discriminating out a zinc penny to the 3:00 o'clock position. I'm having second thoughts, maybe it will be better to calibrate the discrimination dial to the 9:00 o'clock position on the Vaquero where it is precisely on 'iron' and just barely discriminating out a common iron nail since that's the amount of discrimination that I use the most. The other important discrimination points can be marked with tick marks if need be. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/491075-tesoro-vaquero-metal-detector-best-settings.html

Someone who boldly states that a Vaquero will not discriminate out a zinc penny without quantifying is misleading and not very helpful to someone new to metal detecting and needing help. All experienced users of the Vaquero know without doubt that a properly working Vaquero will discriminate out a zinc penny, so it has to be something else if it won't.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely had a problem with zinc pennies. Although when I turned up disc "all the way", I would still dig many sizes & shapes of iron that did NOT disc out. No other machine I've owned likes iron as much as the Vaq.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say that you guys need to dump the penny, but it doesn't really matter. It was dropped a few years back here and the really crapulant clad type are still as common as rain drops. Slowly corroding, but I"m sure that we will still be digging clad coppers up here for another decade....or more.

Funny thing; I found not only my first "wheatback" penny today (by Tesoro!), but also a nice '74 Canadian penny.. Kind of odd, since I'm in California. ^_^

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

I have had to adjust the disc knob on every Tesoro I have ever owned so far to drop the nickels on the nickel mark.They all have been off one way or the other a little, some closer than others. I just matched the disc knobs on my new Black Tesoro Tejon and also adjusted my new Black Vaquero as well. Both detectors were dropping out the nickels past the nickel marking and now they are spot on and drop nickels right on the nickel mark. :icon_thumright: Now the Vaquero drops Zinks right at the last un marked black line before the max lettering on the disc.

It seems to me after you adjust the disc knob on the Tesoro's to drop the nickels on nickel the rest of the targets drop pretty much in line. At least that has been my experience with re-calibrating or re setting the disk knob as described.

Happy Hunting, :hello2:
Bill G

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sand Shark can't find gold; Vaquero can't disc out zinc; Compadre causes cancer; Lobo Super Traq breaks up marriages; Silver uMax stole AtomicScott's girlfriend... C'mon! We have heard all the myths from Whites and Fisher dealers - and Tesoro haters, yet we continue to eat their lunches with our "cheap, antiquated, and inferior" machines. No wonder these folks are so angry. :laughing7: :skullflag:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had to adjust the disc knob on every Tesoro I have ever owned so far to drop the nickels on the nickel mark.They all have been off one way or the other a little, some closer than others. I just matched the disc knobs on my new Black Tesoro Tejon and also adjusted my new Black Vaquero as well...

Bill, don't different vintage "nickels" disc out in slightly different spots anyway? I'm not talking about the war nickels, just all the rest. I figure that if they go away between nickel and tab, that's close enough for me. If I'm not in too much tabbage, I'll run just past the foil range and dig what's sounding decent, hopefully getting a few nickels. Parks usually aren't too polluted with tabs, but my local camp areas sure are...! I'm probably missing plenty in those camp spots; I run just past tabs in them. Speaking of camps, I'm out the door in a few minutes, back to one of my favorites.. Taking both Outlaw and Eldorado today. ^_^

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill, don't different vintage "nickels" disc out in slightly different spots anyway? I'm not talking about the war nickels, just all the rest. I figure that if they go away between nickel and tab, that's close enough for me. If I'm not in too much tabbage, I'll run just past the foil range and dig what's sounding decent, hopefully getting a few nickels. Parks usually aren't too polluted with tabs, but my local camp areas sure are...! I'm probably missing plenty in those camp spots; I run just past tabs in them. Speaking of camps, I'm out the door in a few minutes, back to one of my favorites.. Taking both Outlaw and Eldorado today. ^_^

I hear Ya,

My point was no matter what machine if you set the disc knob to drop on nickel then it's correct with the disc knob markings (also seems to make all the other targets be more accurate according to the disk knob markings). This is done with a standard US nickel. Of course their will be other items or older diffrent nickel type that may come in higher or lower in the range. All USA detectors no matter the brand use standard US coinage for there calibrations be it White's, Tesoro, Fisher and so on. Be it analog or dizital display or no display. Example on my White's M6 a US nickel will read 20 not 22 or 18 on the VDI but 20. Other nickel items will fall above or below but a US nickel will be 20. If I set the disc knob on the white's set right on the nickel mark it will drop the nickel in sound but the ID meter will still show the 20 VDI number their for it is discking the nickel out right on the nickel mark. Again that being my point for calibrating the Tesoro detectors disc knob to be correct on a US nickel just makes since. Rusty at Tesoro has agreed with me here on my way of thinking. I have mentioned it to him in small talk over the years. He even said they don't always get the knob spot on at the factory. I also know exactly where a US nickel will drop this way and I prefer it that way when thumbing the disc knob.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread