RUMOR that Vaqueros discrim out ZINC PENNIES?:(

sugarcreek

Mar 28, 2016
S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just dug 35 memorial pennies, while also digging 17 clad dimes, 9 clad quarters, one wheat penny,
one Mercury dime, one African coin, steel boot heel, and some junk on FULL DISCRIMINATION!!!!

Sure many of the pennies I KNEW were pennies, some not, on FULL DISCRIMINATION!!!
Why am I hearing zinc pennies? I heard a rumor I could discriminate them OUT...

Sunday Finds Boot Heel.jpg

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no problem discing out zincs on mine. I could not disc out copper pennies or dimes though

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all detectors are alike even with tight Quality control.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can discriminate out 'zinc' pennies, but not 'copper' pennies on the Vaquero.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I had the same 'situation' with my Vaq. Could not fully disc out zincolns (depending on state of decomposition), nor could I disc out any larger iron that was coin sized. Constantly dug iron that hit in the dime/quarter range.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I had the same 'situation' with my Vaq. Could not fully disc out zincolns (depending on state of decomposition), nor could I disc out any larger iron that was coin sized. Constantly dug iron that hit in the dime/quarter range.

How could that be? I was told last week I was the only one to ever bring up the iron issue with a Vaquero. Mine beeps on zinc pennies at max disc.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speaik for every detector out there, but all of mine have a setting where zincs are lost just below where dimes and true copper pennies still ring solid.
luvsdux

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speaik for every detector out there, but all of mine have a setting where zincs are lost just below where dimes and true copper pennies still ring solid.
luvsdux

I've owned several Vaquero detectors and all of mine would cleanly discriminate out 'zinc' pennies and still hit hard on copper pennies, dimes, quarters, etc.. Only one or two honest things could be happening, either the detector is in need of repair or the users don't know the difference between a 'zinc' or a 'copper' penny. If I had a Vaquero that wouldn't discriminate out a ZINC penny I'd send it in to Tesoro to get it working properly.

tabman

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned several Vaquero detectors and all of mine would cleanly discriminate out 'zinc' pennies and still hit hard on copper pennies, dimes, quarters, etc.. Only one or two honest things could be happening, either the detector is in need of repair or the users don't know the difference between a 'zinc' or a 'copper' penny. If I had a Vaquero that wouldn't discriminate out a copper penny I'd send it in to Tesoro to get it working properly.

tabman

I haven't checked mine, but would the ground balance setting have an affect on discrimination?

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very new, but I believe too much negative GB will cause items to hit that should have been discd out. But, you also gain a ton of depth with negative GB.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have a Compadre and a Vaq.
Some like to calibrate their detectors, or at least the disc knob, to nickels but i would never do that because nickels are so iffy sometimes with some coming in above and below that nickel mark.
What i do want us a unit that can give me the best indicators on zinc cents since there are so many more of these out there.
Both my units including my Vaq with any GB setting pretty much disc out zincolns just a hair past the 3:00 knob position 99.9% of the time which is just the way I like it.
If zinc cents can't be disced out with a Tesoro there is something suspiciously wrong.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned several Vaquero detectors and all of mine would cleanly discriminate out 'zinc' pennies and still hit hard on copper pennies, dimes, quarters, etc.. Only one or two honest things could be happening, either the detector is in need of repair or the users don't know the difference between a 'zinc' or a 'copper' penny. If I had a Vaquero that wouldn't discriminate out a copper penny I'd send it in to Tesoro to get it working properly.

tabman

Haha! I love how you insult other's intelligence when you don't understand something. It is quite obvious to most just upon cursory inspection that a zinc is not a copper. How many zincs do you find (under dirt) that are not already in some state of decomposition? Before 1981 they are copper. We ALL know this.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 7 varieties of the 1982 penny, some were zinc and others copper. All zinc pennies weigh 2.7grams while all copper pennies weigh 3.2g. All 1981 pennies are copper, and all 1983 pennies are zinc.

My college chemistry professor and I got into an argument about this - he thought that all 1982 pennies were zinc. Me being the numismatic fiend...I had to prove him wrong the next day with a pair of tin snips and some 1982 pennies....:laughing7:

The Vaquero I had would disc out some copper pennies, but never dimes.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! I love how you insult other's intelligence when you don't understand something. It is quite obvious to most just upon cursory inspection that a zinc is not a copper. How many zincs do you find (under dirt) that are not already in some state of decomposition? Before 1981 they are copper. We ALL know this.

The average newbie just getting into detecting may or not know that some are zinc and some copper.
I'd say that most of us know this... I did, as I had an interest in coins when dimes and quarters were still silver. Many kids these days haven't got a clue that modern pennies are zinc, and couldn't care less anyway. It's up to us to enlighten them.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I typed copper instead of zinc. If a Vaquero won't discriminate out a 'zinc' penny it's broke and should be sent in for repairs. And yes there are people in this world that don't know the difference between a zinc penny and a copper penny. Also the more deteriorated a zinc penny is, the easier it is to discriminate it out, because it comes in lower on the conductivity scale.

tabman

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gee I wonder what two he meant.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of mine can disc out zinc pennies. I guess if you are buying a Tesoro just to turn the Discrimination as high as you can, you'll do well on Silver and copper, but then you'll never use the machine to it's full potential or discover all of the treasure your coil passes over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread