pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, a few weeks ago, I'd asked here on the forums about getting my first detector. I was thinking then that I liked the simplicity and reputation of Tesoro, but wasn't sure which I'd be happiest with. It was between the Tejon and Vaquero, and when I asked about them, Terry wrote "sure; get the Vaquero". Well, I thought that being lighter and powered by only a single 9v battery, it couldn't be as powerful and deep as the Tejon, so the Tejon is what I chose...and I like my Tejon very much. However... I couldn't help but wonder how much different the Vaquero was.
Besides being curious about the Vaquero, I was also wanting to try a small 5.75 widescan coil in some trashy areas.
So, when I found a clean, used V on eBay that came with both a standard concentric and the 5.75 widescan I wanted.. I bought yet another Tesoro.

The Vaquero is great! With the 5.75 dd on it, it goes almost as deep as the Tejon does with the 11x8, and pinpoints even better! I thought it would only see targets as deep as the coil is wide, but it's hitting nickels 8" down with the little coil, and seeing targets as small as a rusty staple (in all metal). I really like this combo of Vaquero and 5.75 widescan.

While I probably can't have too many Tesoros,...I should have just listened to Terry. ^_^

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry who?

Ha,ha, ha . We love that guy.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you like them both. Tesoros can be habit forming, but at least you can trade coils between the two you have.
luvsdux

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Right now I only have 2 Tesoros...a Vaq and a Compadre.
Learning new detectors is fun and Tesoros have so many different knob configurations in both modern and classic models.
So far I have been able to resist adding even more fillies to the stable...but it's hard.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up a Silver uMax (used) for the wife for $160 (incl. s&h). Seems to work great! Can't wait to learn all the nuances of these little marvels!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you need to try the silver uMax. You will like it even better I bet.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you need to try the silver uMax. You will like it even better I bet.

My wife told me "no more" after I bought my second Tesoro. I have three right now. I had even bought a fourth (a Cortes), but sent it back to the seller... It needed repairing and I didn't want a somewhat abused Cortes. Maybe in a few weeks, after I've found her some jewelery, I'll be able to sneak in another Tesoro. ^_^ I do see an open spot for a good beach detector...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife told me "no more" after I bought my second Tesoro. I have three right now. I had even bought a fourth (a Cortes), but sent it back to the seller... It needed repairing and I didn't want a somewhat abused Cortes. Maybe in a few weeks, after I've found her some jewelery, I'll be able to sneak in another Tesoro. ^_^ I do see an open spot for a good beach detector...

Im new to Tesoro also. I added the 11x8 to a Silver uMax and a Cibola, huge difference. It's like the 9x8 stock coils are bad. The 5.75 widescan is almost as deep as the 9x8. When I go anywhere, I take the 11x8 and the 5.75 in the backpack.

Id buy another detector if was a simple "creek" detector. Anything, as long as I could wade a creek and not worry about dropping it.

And no, I ain't spending the extra money for an existing detector that weighs twice as much either.

Even a waterproof Compadre, seriously.

But I imagine an inexpensive, waterproof, lifetime warranty detector is a money losing venture imho. And that's not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im new to Tesoro also.

Id buy another if it was a simple "creek" detector. Anything, as long as I could wade a creek and not worry about dropping it.

And no, I ain't spending the extra money for an existing detector that weighs twice as much either.

Even a waterproof Compadre, seriously.

But I imagine an inexpensive, waterproof, lifetime warranty detector is a money losing venture imho. And that's not a bad thing.

You want a "waterproof" Compadre? Vaquero? Go to Home Depot, True Value, or Lowe's, and get a box of Heavy Duty Clear Plastic 55-Gallon Barrel Bags http://www.amazon.com/55-Gal-Drumli...sr=8-4&keywords=heavy+duty+clear+plastic+bags

Voila! Instant waterproofing! Been working for me in creeks and streams, rain and humid jungles for the last 40-years! :skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a "waterproof" Compadre? Vaquero? Go to Home Depot, True Value, or Lowe's, and get a box of Heavy Duty Clear Plastic 55-Gallon Barrel Bags http://www.amazon.com/55-Gal-Drumli...sr=8-4&keywords=heavy+duty+clear+plastic+bags

Voila! Instant waterproofing! Been working for me in creeks and streams, rain and humid jungles for the last 40-years! :skullflag:

lol

Thanks Terry,

I use quart and gallon ziplock bags for years, keeps the dirt and rain out. One of the few reasons I like the chicklet buttons on the F70, I can use them through the bags.

I can't visualize a plastic bag is going to save my Vaquero when I slip and bust my butt in a knee deep creek.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like your rifle, or your beer. You can go down all you want. Just don't get the rifle wet, or spill any beer! :occasion14:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up my first Tesoro this week. I chose the Tejon because of the location of the toggle switch. I am Left handed and the Vaquero's pinpoint button looked a bit awkward to reach.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up my first Tesoro this week. I chose the Tejon because of the location of the toggle switch. I am Left handed and the Vaquero's pinpoint button looked a bit awkward to reach.

Just needed to use the giggy finger. ^_^

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread