pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly $2.40 in change and a whole lotta bullet shells, lead and misc. trash (like balls of foil & melted aluminum).
One of the coins though, surprised me when I got home and rinsed it off. This 100 year old penny was the second wheaty I'd found in that area; the other was a '58. Pretty cool, thought I; there may be some silver here yet... Need to go back there in a couple days.
Swinging the Vaquero w/5.75". ^_^

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first silver ring today...

My Vaquero / 5.75DD located these bits today, including a small 925 ring, a '48D wheaty and a nice Chucky Cheese token.. Only out for a short time today, so either I'm getting used to the Vaquero, or I found a better spot. :icon_biggrin:

My first silver ring! :hello:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 148

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this morning for 2 hours with my Tejon and picked up a little over 1.50 in clad plus a glimmer of what i thought was a mans silver ring. Turned out not to be silver. That said, it was still a fun hunt.

IMG_0834.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are KILLING it with your machine! I can't wait to see your whisper finds with the bigger coil! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing was that there were three Tesoros hitting this area today... My son was with me, using his Compadre, and we heard another detector beeping nearby. Turned out it was some guy visiting from Poland, and he was using a Silver MicroMax!

He's the only one who found a toy car. I'm jealous. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meanwhile....my Vaquero has been out working the past couple days, finding my second, third and fourth oldest wheaties to date; '17, '18 and '19 (from memory ~ crazy, but true). Found several other wheaties and a bunch of clad here, too. I'm still at the secret spot but I'll post pics in a couple days. There must be some silver here... My Vaquero will find it. ^_^

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nine Wheaties and a pile mixed clad... All in one spot!

Out at an old picnic spot for about six hours total, over the past couple of days. Took the Vaquero and it found some treasure for me.
Nine wheaties, dating 17-18-19-28-42-44-50-53-54...and a pile of clad/copper/zinc. Around $8 in face value. Not sure whether to hang my head in shame over the lack of silver, or celebrate. Also found what I think is a smashed kid's ring (junk) a souvenir flattened penny, Canadian cent, and a wierd token/charm thing. Didn't dig too much trash, as I set disc just above tab for most of it. Tried it around foil for a while, but so much trash, it drove me nuts. Need to go back and check the area again... ^_^

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! You are learning the machine. After about 100-hours on the headphones with your discrimination set just below Nickel, you will start to hear the small differences in tone between junk and good targets. Get This Book!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-metal-detectors-christian-t.html#post4976269

I have that book; reading for the second time. With disc that low though, I'd be digging three times as much junk, too. Been hitting heavily trashed areas. While I can usually (not always) ID rusty bottle caps by their click or harshness, ring/beavertail tabs are still sounding like good targets to me... I'll go back to check again at lower disc settings. Surprised that I'm not pulling up silver coins, with all the wheaties I've been getting, but those have nothing to do with disc...just need to find 'em.
Oh well; still like finding wheaties. :hello2:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Witch headphones are you using pinenut? Nice finds
Larry, I've been using Killer B's Wasp. Though they're bulky and a bit too warm, they do seem quite sensitive, and sound good with the Vaquero and Tejon. I haven't used my Eldorado with 'em yet, but I suspect I'll like the Killer B's with it, too. When I got my first Tesoro, the Tejon, I was using inexpensive over-ear phones. They sounded good and were comfortable, but the cord was weak, short (not coiled), and got hung up on plants. I also had to use a jack size adapter (3.5mm-1/4"), and an external volume control.
I like the B's better, even though they're bulky and hot. Based on reading up about detector headphones, it was either Killer B's or Sunray Gold (for me). I believe they're both made by the same guy, and both use Pro Ears Ultra muffs and Audiosears 2463 speakers.

I've picked up some parts, including 100 Ohm speakers and Leight Thunder 29 muffs, to make myself a spare set. They probably won't sound any better than the B's, but they'll be about 1/3 the price. Just wanted to try making some to see how they'd turn out. If not so great, my son can use 'em with his Compadre, and I'll buy another set of B's as a spare. ^_^

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a silver charm..

Went this evening shortly before dark to check out an offroad vehicle area and took the Vaquero with 5.75DD along. Soil was nasty; dry, hard and rocky. More bottle caps and melted aluminum than I'd ever seen, anywhere (damn, people are slobs!).
Finally learned about how swing speed helps to disc those caps out. Too slow a swing, and they sound coin-like. Get the speed right and they just click, while the coins will still hit hard (even zincs). Couldn't disc out those sorry lumps of aluminum...and they were all over the place (fire pits there).
Just one wheaty and a small handfull of modern coins today, but only there for two hours.
Did find a nice silver charm though - "925" stamp on the back. No, not much today...but silver does make me smile.
Maybe I'll have some time tomorrow. ^_^

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 119

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design of the charm looks old.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The design of the charm looks old.
That's what I was thinking, and a bit unusual. Not sure when the "925" stamping became common, though.
I thought older silver was usually either unmarked, or stamped "sterling". Anyone know?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
45 minutes in a bark-chip totlot today...

First time trying a totlot. I found some interesting junk jewelry, some clad, a truck stop token, foreign coinage..
I do like those bark chips; just dig with the side of your shoe. Wasn't even that trashy there. Need to try totlots in better neighborhoods though; maybe I'll get some decent jewelry..
It really helps when the temp is over 100 out... No kids!

BTW, using minimum disc on Vaquero w/ favorite 5.75 widescan coil, though the concentric would have been even better there. ^_^

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! :occasion14:

Thanks! It was pretty warm out (104, I think), but I was having fun. Wish I could have stayed there longer, but wife was buggin' to go. We were on our way to visit family when I spotted that park... ^_^

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinenut, think your are the one who bought one of my Eldorado, have you tried it yet? Hope it works out good for you it loves coins too.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut, think your are the one who bought one of my Eldorado, have you tried it yet? Hope it works out good for you it loves coins too.

Got two of 'em and yes, found a bunch of coins with both! If I bought mine from you, thanks again! Was yours the really pretty, early one with anodized poles and glossy labels, or later one with painted poles and matte labels? Both work great on coins! I much prefer the Eldorado's audio tone and mode switch to the Vaquero's.

Usually grab a Vaquero when I go out around my place though, as I keep a small DD coil on it that works well in my area. Eldorados, with the concentrics I have on them, give me more trouble with hot rocks and constantly changing soil. I was thinking yesterday, Eldorado would be perfect in the totlots... I'll have to take one of them, next trip. ^_^

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread