Tejon Pinpointing pointers?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any quick pointers on pinpointing with the Tejon? I took it out last sunday for its maiden voyage only to find the pinpointing toggle does not work as i expected it to. I would love to pull the trigger and zero in on the target with no coil movement but i don't think its possible. Is my detector broke?

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any quick pointers on pinpointing with the Tejon? I took it out last sunday for its maiden voyage only to find the pinpointing toggle does not work as i expected it to. I would love to pull the trigger and zero in on the target with no coil movement but i don't think its possible. Is my detector is broke?
You'll need to keep the coil moving in short strokes, "X-ing" the target. It's not a no-motion pinpoint. Probably not broken. ^_^

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is some good advice!

"...Another characteristic we discovered had to do with iron nails and pinpointing. It was accidental as to how we discovered this. Larry discovered the “secret” first and passed it on to me, and sure enough it proved to be true for me as well. Mind you, under normal circumstances you may not be digging the kinds of targets we were, because we were in “super sleuth” mode, so that we could fully understand the abilities of the Tejón. Both of us would occasionally get strong signals that would register in both DISC & ALT DISC, with no hint or indication of the target being iron. After digging plugs and in some cases, deep holes, we would sadly discover that it ended up being a nail off to the side of the hole. This perplexed us at first because the Tejón pinpointed so accurately in the Discriminate Mode, and we were sure we were digging dead center to where the machine indicated the target was. How could we be pinpointing so badly? What we discovered was that for some reason, the target center of certain nails read one location in Discriminate Mode and a slightly different location in All Metal, only inches away. This was not a bad thing. Actually it was quite good because it allowed us the benefit of identifying that target as a nail without having to dig it. This seems to happen only on nails with large heads, and I am guessing here but I think a larger halo develops around the “head” of the nail, and that is what the Discriminate Mode sees and centers on, but in the All Metal Mode, the machine is seeing the entire nail and centers on its center (which is some distance away from the nail head). So, when you get a target that seems to “move” as you switch from Discriminate to All Metal, it’s probably iron and probably a nail with a large head. Until you get comfortable with the Tejón, you should always use the All Metal pinpoint mode as your guide...." http://www.tesoro.com/info/fieldtests/current/tejon/

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll need to keep the coil moving in short strokes, "X-ing" the target. It's not a no-motion pinpoint. Probably not broken. ^_^

Thanks for the input. . I guess the pinpoint toggle is one feature of the tejon thats usless.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. . I guess the pinpoint toggle is one feature of the tejon thats usless.

It is far from useless......i love the feature. I hunt with disc around foil most of the time and use the "all metal" trigger switch to hone in on those deep or iffy signals. Also, works great to find those tiny targets once they are out of the hole. The feature works better with DD coils on the Tejon than with concentric....

For example, if i get a weak or choppy signal in disc mode, i will check it in all-metal. If it blows your socks off in AM it is probably iron or foil trash(nails)....if it sounds the same or only slightly better it is worth checking out. I have found several deep bullets, etc. with the Tejon this way....

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great purpose for the AM trigger switch is Ground Balancing. The Tejon requires very precise ground balancing for maximum performance. I ground balance the Tejon 2-3 times more often then any other detector i own. This i have found to be the key to performance with the Tejon.....the switch lets you do this all with one hand. activate the AM mode with your index finger then simply use your thumb to adjust the GB knob. Just a slight movement means alot on the Tejon.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. I do indeed use the toggle for those functions but I can pinpoint just as fast or faster without the trigger. Why call it a pinpoint mode when the coil has to stay in motion?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stand corrected. I do indeed use the toggle for those functions but I can pinpoint just as fast or faster without the trigger. Why call it a pinpoint mode when the coil has to stay in motion?

It would be nice to have a no-motion pinpoint in disc with a trigger pull. After X-ing my good target, I usually try to spot the target with the TRX before digging. When I'm in the middle of a half dozen bottle caps, bullet shells and pulltabs, my TRX pinpointer doesn't know which target is my good disc'd target the Tejon beeped on, and which is the trash. You really need to X the good targets well in trash. Meanwhile, as DiggerinVA does, I trigger into all metal to re-GB often. Seems the Tejon is sensitive enough to see changes every few feet, here. My Vaquero doesn't seem as sensitive to ground mineral changes as the Tejon, but maybe it's just 'cause I have the little coil on the Vaquero; don't know.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you learn to use the VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillation) of Pinpoint mode, it is actually very reliable in centering your coil over the target, using the "X" method. Like a new girlfriend, just takes some getting used to. :occasion14:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. Only complaint I have against all of my Tesoros, the pinpointing is horrible after using other brands' no motion pinpointing.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Only complaint I have against all of my Tesoros, the pinpointing is horrible after using other brands' no motion pinpointing.

I found it relatively easy to find brass or iron needles and bird shot from a fur trade site. But that was about five years back when I used the machine a lot and started to know it. Thinking about taking the beast out to an old pounded site again soon. I"m still a believer. But the siren call of water has me in its grips as of late.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using the pinpoint mode to size a target makes it easier to tell the difference between a silver coin and other trash targets like iron, aluminum screw caps, large pieces of can slaw and smashed cans. Trash targets like those will sound off before the edge of the search coil reaches the target. A coin or a gold ring won't sound off until it's closer to the middle of the search coil. People who dig a lot of iron, screw caps and smashed cans with the Tejon and Vaquero haven't figured this out yet.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread