pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, in case anyone was wondering... I did find out that someone who'd frequented another forum several years ago, made a few of those knobs. I did message that person but don't expect to get a response, as it looks like he last posted there in 2010.

Since I liked the idea and thought it would be so much nicer to thumb the disc comfortably, I decided to make my own. Those little 4" Chinese lathes are perfect for just such a project, and I cranked this knob out in the garage after a short time. Not as fancy as the other guy's, but it seems to work great! Tip of my thumb fits right into the hole, and I can smoothly spin it from all-metal, all the way round to max disc. I can see my setting right through the hole (in case I need to look). Perfect!

Someone needs to CNC a batch of these for the Tesoro thumbers... ^_^

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    737.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 119

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, like a suicide knob but different.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nifty, and I'm sure will be useful. If only I had a 3D printer...
Would be even better, made from good plastic (Delrin, Nylon, etc.). A 3D printer would be awesome... Need to check those out!

Here's one more pic of it polished up.
Just a bit of blue LocTite on the setscrew. Added a 1/4" O-ring and a teensy dab of silicone grease between O-ring and pot lock nut, so it's super smooth with just a bit of drag. Still need to O-ring the other pots.

Only thing I don't like about this knob, is that it gets in the way of the on/sensitivity, but I wanted to be able to thumb the edge of the knob as well as the thumb hole, so I think I'll leave it as is. May make the next one as just a lever with thumb hole, that way the on/sensitivity will be more accessable... Anyway:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    610.7 KB · Views: 136

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know you had to change the DISC. that often.
Marvin

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know you had to change the DISC. that often.
Marvin

Maybe you don't... I hunt in lots of trash. When I get a good sounding target at a disc setting below nickel, I can thumb the disc up & down to see if it's still sounding solid, or where it's breaking up. Gives me an idea if if it's a nickel, pull tab, zinc or better. Not always accurate, but I find it helpful. Of course, I could just set disc at zinc and dig whatever x's small but has a solid beep. Where's the fun in that? ^_^

I'm going to make a lighter, lever-arm type to try out. Got to thinking that this knob I made, though seemingly quite functional, gets in the way of the knob above too much, weighs more than it should, and would be better non-metallic. What the heck; keeps me busy on days I don't go detecting. ^_^

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you don't... I hunt in lots of trash. When I get a good sounding target at a disc setting below nickel, I can thumb the disc up & down to see if it's still sounding solid, or where it's breaking up. Gives me an idea if if it's a nickel, pull tab, zinc or better. Not always accurate, but I find it helpful. Of course, I could just set disc at zinc and dig whatever x's small but has a solid beep. Where's the fun in that? ^_^

I'm going to make a lighter, lever-arm type to try out. Got to thinking that this knob I made, though seemingly quite functional, gets in the way of the knob above too much, weighs more than it should, and would be better non-metallic. What the heck; keeps me busy on days I don't go detecting. ^_^
I understand now and it makes sense-----------------just didn't understand when I first read it. The knob is cool.:icon_thumright:
Marvin

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My latest revision; lighter, less noticeable and more leverage. Doesn't block access to on/sensitivity as much. It's very smooth and works well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One advantage of having an all metal switch versus the AM/disc knob is the capability to hunt in all metal and toggle to a preset disc quickly to see whether the target is above the disc setting. Even better on detectors with 2 disc settings like the Tejon.
luvsdux

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One advantage of having an all metal switch versus the AM/disc knob is the capability to hunt in all metal and toggle to a preset disc quickly to see whether the target is above the disc setting. Even better on detectors with 2 disc settings like the Tejon.
luvsdux

Which is why I'm really liking my Eldorado. The Vaquero is also pretty easy to thumb from all metal to whatever disc I choose, with this knob. Not sure which detector I like better, Eldo or Vaquero, though Eldo has the nicer tone. Both work very well. ^_^

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. My Eldorado will be in my arsenal until one of us dies.
luvsdux

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
All very interesting. I have found that I have no issues what so ever with the stock knob and I thumb it a lot and can see the face plate and were the pointer is as targets disc out. The bigger round knobs would not be for me. I do like the knob with the pointer made out of carbon fiber but would want it a little shorter not so close to the foam on the handle when turned down into the foil & iron ranges.

Very very innovative ideas for sure and I can see how it would make the task of thumbing the knob more easy for some, great job. I always like how innovative folks can be to address an issues for there needs.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

*Tesoro Tejon
*Tesoro Vaquero
*Tesoro Sand Shark
*Whites M6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions