Can I use these batteries for my new Cortes ?

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Smyrna, Tennessee (Nashville)
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Pin pointer / Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 84

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of people do with zero issues. My experience is that they don't tend to last as long as the non-rechargables, but they work and save money.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The higher the mAh rating, the longer the battery should last before having to recharge. Some MFG'rs have started putting rediculously high numbers on their batteries to make sales. Personally, I like the EBL brand batteries that are available on Amazon. I have AA's with 2300 mAh rating and are low-discharge - meaning, they hold a charge well between long periods of sitting idle.

Ni-Mh and Ni-cad are perfectly interchangeable. Both are 1.2v, where alkaline's are 1.5v.

Some people prefer the disposable batteries - I prefer rechargeable's. Also, while quick-chargers charge faster, they also shorten the lifespan of a battery.

OP
OP
I

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your opinion DeepseekerADS. Checked out other battery issues on general forms but was thrown of by lack of info in my manual.

OP
OP
I

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kcm, saw the info you mentioned but wasn't sure about the Voltage difference and what effect it would have on performance in my Tesoro. The manual really is lacking user information regarding many things. IMO it should be updated and brought into the new battery technology. Im with you on the rechargeable. Just doing simple math i feel they will pay for themselves within 3-4 recharges. Thanks again

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Most battery-powered electronics don't work off of what the battery voltage is when charged or new. Instead, the device will normally run on a lower voltage, OR will change the voltage internally to something much higher than what the battery puts out. I'm sure there are a few newer items that just didn't have the foresight to engineer in the lower voltage of rechargeable batteries, or maybe were too stingy to.

Sorry if the post sounds like babbling - have been interrupted here about 6 times just in this post!

OP
OP
I

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that makes sense. Wondering also about the battery usage while using headphones ? I stepped up and bought a pair of Gray Ghost too. Wasn't sure between those or the Killer Bees but couldn't imagine searching all day with the obnoxious blaring speaker the Cortes offers ! You would think the engineers would have incorporated a volume control somewhere on the box. I understand the importance of frequency response and audible tone chirps but man does it bark out ! Do you have any idea of what lesser % using the HPs will offer ? Thanks again for the input

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most battery-powered electronics don't work off of what the battery voltage is when charged or new. Instead, the device will normally run on a lower voltage, OR will change the voltage internally to something much higher than what the battery puts out. I'm sure there are a few newer items that just didn't have the foresight to engineer in the lower voltage of rechargeable batteries, or maybe were too stingy to.

Sorry if the post sounds like babbling - have been interrupted here about 6 times just in this post!

I dont have the display Tesoros, but all of the 9v analog Tesoros I have will run fine on down to 7v or a hair below. No reduction in performance that I can tell.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the rechargeable batteries with no issues since 2010 in all my Tesoro machines. If you use your machine more than 20-hours a week like I do, you'll need a couple of sets of batteries, and you'll need to replace them about every 16-months. :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Do you have any idea of what lesser % using the HPs will offer ?"
Sorry, been a long day - HP's??

OP
OP
I

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the rechargeable batteries with no issues since 2010 in all my Tesoro machines. If you use your machine more than 20-hours a week like I do, you'll need a couple of sets of batteries, and you'll need to replace them about every 16-months. :occasion14:
Thanks for the input Terry S. Your past post and information that you set forth to the Tesoro forums helped sway my decision on my recent MD purchase. I know i have some serious learning curve time on this new machine but it helps to know i can always hit the search button and find the answers to most of the questions from knowledgable hunters like yourself. Thanks for the valuable info. A newbie

OP
OP
I

IRVINESartifacts

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
MD / Tesoro - Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have the display Tesoros, but all of the 9v analog Tesoros I have will run fine on down to 7v or a hair below. No reduction in performance that I can tell.

Thanks for the info Steve. Do you collect Indian artifacts as well ? I know you must hit some pottery occasionally with all the Caddo sites in your area !

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some wireless headphones....excuse me, HP's :wink: and I use ONLY rechargeable batteries in them with nothing but stellar results! ....Not for detecting, though. These are hooked up to my PC.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this thread. I recently got some rechargeables with my racer2 (I know wrong forum but the only ones I have) and they came with a charger. They're AA and like 2300mah (or so they say).
I've heard that rechargeable show as full for a long time then drastically drop off.

Luckily when I first started I found a 64 pack of batteries at Lowe's that worked out to $.35 a piece. So once I make it through those I'll look into rechargeables for all my units.

Does anyone else do this?::
I have many 9v tesoro units and I'll use the same one in whichever unit I'm using until they die. Otherwise I'd have 6 batteries in use and gets cluttered when I keep them out if the units when not using them.

Also, anyone seen those fancy AA batteries that are higher voltage? What could these work for? Some are like 3-4 volts each. Seems like they could damage the unit.

Thanks all and sorry if I hijacked the thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread