Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question to all Tesoro metal detectors owners: How many of you had to send your Tesoro detectors back for repairs. I am asking because I am concerning in purchasing Outlaw with 3 coils. I am upset that no coils covers and headphones comes for free. Outrages.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question to all Tesoro metal detectors owners: How many of you had to send your Tesoro detectors back for repairs. I am asking because I am concerning in purchasing Outlaw with 3 coils. I am upset that no coils covers and headphones comes for free. Outrages.

Hey Honest, it's my understanding that coil covers are included. Mine happened to come with 'em, but mine isn't the standard 3 coil package. I believe that "Stoof" wrote that his 3 coil Outlaw also came with 'em.
You can buy decent (but not great) headphones for about $30. I recommend the Calrad 15-135b if you're on a budget.

All of the Tesoros I've bought new have been trouble free, and most that I got used were also fine. So far out of about ten used Tesoros I picked up off ebay, two weren't as described and needed service. I just claimed they weren't as described (they weren't), and shipped 'em back to the sellers to deal with. That's the nice part about ebay's policy. It can be a pain if you're an honest seller and happen to sell to a crook.
I have some ebay horror stories as a seller... :angry4:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well it's my understanding that models with ground balance rarely fail. Unless an actually co.ponent on the board fails which is unlikely or the button itself or a switch fails but I've never heard of it happening.
Most times when one is sent it it's for a coil crack or for an internal ground balance adjustment.
But you might want input from someone with older models.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone received a new Tesoro from the dealer and has not received a warranty card yet have filled it out online instead? Are we registered. I have not heard back from Tesoro yet, as one does not't receive notification that your Tesoro detector has been registered..I think this needs to be fixed on their link and updated on their website for their customers.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh wow I stand corrected. That must be new.
I still prefer sending in the hard copy and keeping a copy then conforming it was received. I also make a not on my copy when I called to confirm along with date and time and person I spoke with.
Just to be safe. Never had an issue but I like to cover my @$$

I have an email regarding the person that I have emailed directly regarding other things including the warranty but have not heard back as I resent the email asking if they have me registered in their data base but no reply yet still..I will be calling now.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
<---- Happy Tigershark owner for 3 years. Bought new, mailed card...have beat the absolute living $*%! out of this machine..and it has never failed me. Matter of fact...it paid for itself 59 minutes into its first outing.... and has also paid for a Seahunter, and an Excal.

I'd have NO problem sucking up a $50 service charge for $100'S of dollars worth of expertise if I had to send it in...original owner or not. I think we've been spoiled by Tesoro and the history of above and beyond service they've offered for so long...jmo.

Do the paperwork, have fun, and ask yourself.... "what do I charge per hour in my chosen profession for my services rendered"...and than honestly ask yourself if $50 is REALLY unreasonable....

Just my .2 worth of opinion...

ag

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone received a new Tesoro from the dealer and has not received a warranty card yet have filled it out online instead? Are we registered. I have not heard back from Tesoro yet, as one does not't receive notification that your Tesoro detector has been registered..I think this needs to be fixed on their link and updated on their website for their customers.

Well during business hours, you can always call and ask them. They can quickly look it up.
Just explain that you filed it online and they can confirm it. :-)

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been a Tesoro fan for many years. I sent in one of my Tiger Sharks for repair. I enclosed a short note about the problem and also told them I bought the machine used. Turns out it had a bad coil they replaced it with a new one. The whole bill was fifty dollars (including return shipping) the price of the new coil was around $150.00 witch they DID NOT charge me for. Rusty sent a note along with a couple of new O-Rings and some new covers for my earphones too all at no additional charge. Rusty did commit in the note he was not sure why they did not charge me for the coil replacement, but he said that was the service dept. call. I think Tesoro is a great company with an awesome warranty and I will always have a few Tesoro's in my stable.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I have owned my Tiger Shark for nine years and sent it in for repairs. Over last summer it started acting very strange and so I pulled it apart to send back in, noticing when I did that the coil wire was all chewed up. Heard back from today that it would be $118 for the coil. I Told them I found the problem which was that apparently over time the upper rod connect holes had elongated causing the plastic connecter to get loose and to pinch the coil wires. Charged another $32 for a new upper rod. Apparently the lifelong warranty doesn't cover rods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions