pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed that a couple Tesoros I've picked up seem much more touchy, edgy, chatty... than others I have, even though the same model with same coil. For example, I now have two Tejons, and one has a much more jittery, wavy, raspy threshold, than the other one. I've noticed similar differences with two Vaqueros as well, with my older one seemingly "hotter" than my newer black model. It also seems a little tougher to GB, and more sensitive to electrical interference. Is this a common trait among detectors, specifically some hotter Tesoros?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't have two of the same model of my Tesoros, never tried any others so I can't help you there but I do have a theory about factory calibrations on any detectors...it is probably not easy for any manufacturer to tune every unit they produce exactly the same.
This might be due to slight variance in some electronic components or something else that happens in the manufacturing process but it also could have something to do with the fact that human beings actually do these calibrations and not machines from a video I saw about how things seem to work at the Tesoro factory.
Yes there are benchmarks they go by, standard GB, sense, disc settings and the like plus whatever they do to tune the coils to each detector, not to mention each coil goes through its own manufacturing process, but if human beings do this instead of computers there is always the chance of slight differences on any given day or between more than one human that do these tests and calibrations.
Heck, different daily humidity or temperature levels in the factory might have something to do with all of this for all I know but I am not an electrical engineer so I really don't have a clue about that.
I have seen something of the sort on several F2 units in the field for instance.
I know that soil has something to do with detector behavior from posts I have read with other F2 owners having a bit different reading on similar targets in different states, usually close but maybe one or two number off of mine reported by different owners, and then I saw this myself when I moved from one state to another when my F2 was actually giving me slightly different numbers on targets.
A nickel for instance was a 33 in Birmingham Alabama but a 32 in the better Kansas soil constantly and consistently.
More than that, I had a chance to see three different F2's working at the same site in the same soil one day after a club meeting.
All three had close to the same numbers on several different targets but each one was different by one number every time.
It seems to me it just isn't an exact science that you can count on the hundred percent of the time and I have read of some people having a brand new specific unit that doesn't work so well but after sending it in to get readjusted and tuned up it seems to work much better when it comes back.
Like somebody caught some setting that was not optimal or adjusted it differently the second time around.
If I had a choice I would rather have a Tom Dankowski tuned detector or a Rusty tuned Tesoro detector any time over any standard factory unit if I could.

Just a theory but one that seems valid considering what I have seen with my own eyes.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like cars and every other machine, some work better than others. I have been a sewing machine tech for the past 8 years and i am always amazed at what i see. Sometimes i get a sewing machine that should not work yet, it sews beautifully and never skips a stitch. The timing is off, the needle to hook gap is way out in left field and still, it sews. A simple tune up turns this very good machine into a beast! I have no doubts that detectors are the same way. Some work great no matter what you do and work even better with a simple tune up. Others come out of the box with less than desirable performance but left the factory because minimum standards were met . In your case, you have two machines to compare. One is a better performer than the other. Call Tesoro and talk to a Tech. Maybe a little tweaking could help.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that a couple Tesoros I've picked up seem much more touchy, edgy, chatty... than others I have, even though the same model with same coil. For example, I now have two Tejons, and one has a much more jittery, wavy, raspy threshold, than the other one. I've noticed similar differences with two Vaqueros as well, with my older one seemingly "hotter" than my newer black model. It also seems a little tougher to GB, and more sensitive to electrical interference. Is this a common trait among detectors, specifically some hotter Tesoros?

You say you picked them up, were they used? Have you cleaned out the coil covers?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You say you picked them up, were they used? Have you cleaned out the coil covers?

On the Tesoros I mentioned, 1 Tejon was bought new, and the other (more sensitive one) bought with supposedly only a couple hours use. It came to me looking absolutely new.
On my Vaqueros, my new one seems less powerful than my well used one... Who knows; maybe previous user sent it in for tweaking. No dirt in any coil covers on mine. First thing when picking up used is to clean and go over everything. I wipe 'em down well after use, and if things got dusty, I've pulled covers off to check. I suppose it's just factory variance, as you guys have mentioned... I sure do have one wickedly sensitive Tejon, though. Maybe that's why the previous guy just used it a couple hours... ^_^

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre,Goldbug 2,MXT e-Track four coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that as the battery drains down my vaq starts acting up .I switch it to 6AA and lasts much longer ,cheaper to run.Did the same to compadre .now just use 9v batteries in my pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread