pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smaller coil may be better in trash. ^_^ Those 5.75 coils are my favorites where I go, also lots of trash.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8" every day. Good Luck!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Used an older 7" coil for many hundreds hours, was lent an 8" version to try for a couple of weeks 2 summers ago.
Both plus the 5.75" model have that little super power that lets it double beep on targets close, next to or even leaning on large metal like tot lot iron, fence posts and bench legs.
Just this one ability makes owning any version a must have in my mind, plus it has way more abilities than that.
The 8" seemed to be just as responsive with the same superb target separation in heavy trash although I didn't use it in that type of site every minute of the time I had it.
The 8" is a bit deeper so for hunting in both trashy and wide open areas a little more
handy.

Personally I have so much experience hunting in heavy trash with small snipers on most detectors I am a little more comfortable using them, even though the big one worked better than I thought possible I just cannot wrap my head around the thought that the larger coil worked as well as smaller versions even though I seemed to experience this myself.
If this is going to be used in heavy trash most of the time if it were me I would get the small coil version, for use in not just trash but other situations too get the big coil because I would consider it a more all around unit.

If they would just make these with the option to change coils instead of hardwireing them and make you choose this would be the perfect machine.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to add a Compadre to the stable. I want to use it for trashy parks mainly. Which one would be better?

the 6

the 8 isnt that much deeper

of course the 6 doesnt cover as much area

of course you can use the 8 like a 6 if you raise the coil up a couple of inches, pattern is the same

remember the pattern of both is a cone

I have both, I prefer the 5.75. If I need the 8, I'll grab a Vaquero or something with the 11" coil, I hardly use the 8 anymore, the kids use it

buying new or used? I grabbed one off the auction site for less than a 100 bucks. At a 100 bucks, wouldn't matter which one you get!

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say get both.... Lol
But for trashy or smaller areas, the 5.75 is great. I got the 8 first and have many good finds from it.
Got the 5.75 because if how good the 8 was.
In parks and trashy areas. The 5.75 would probably work best, but they are cheap enough to eventually get both.
What type of areas specifically are you hunting?

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 8" coil and it has done well for me. In saying that I wish that I had the 5.75 " as well but thinking the 8" is a better choice if your only buying one and are going to hunt a lot of different areas. I have found a lot of stuff in trashy parks with the 8" coil but I cannot help to think that the 5.75" coil would be nearly perfect for trashy parks.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had both, if only for a short while. Ending up giving both of 'em to two of my kids. I liked the 5.75 better, but my son is doing pretty well with his 8".
Sent the 5.75" home with my daughter, when she drove out from South Carolina to visit. I'll probably miss that 5.75 Compadre... But I have other Tesoros to play with.

OP
OP
rob0260

rob0260

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. Will probably end up using it it other situations so I will get the 8 for now. I will likely end up with both eventually. Can never have to many detectors. Lol. HH.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with the Compadre, and REALLY learn it's language. After 500-hours on the headphones, move up to a Silver uMax, or Cibola equipped with the 11" x 8" Double D. Along the way you are going to go back in time, holding history in your hands. You'll find valuable silver coins, and if you're lucky, a gold ring! Good luck my friend! :occasion14:

Attachments

• terryshake.jpg
    terryshake.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
rob0260

rob0260

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks guys for all the input. Just pulled the trigger on a new Compadre with the 8 inch coil. Will let you know how it goes after I try in. HH.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for all the input. Just pulled the trigger on a new Compadre with the 8 inch coil. Will let you know how it goes after I try in. HH.

You'll love it! (I still like the small coil though...) ^_^

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't we supposed to keep those handshakes secret?!! ...sacre bleu!

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations.

kmaz

Jan 6, 2010
Albany ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro deleon,compadre , silver micromax,bandido
Start with the Compadre, and REALLY learn it's language. After 500-hours on the headphones, move up to a Silver uMax, or Cibola equipped with the 11" x 8" Double D. Along the way you are going to go back in time, holding history in your hands. You'll find valuable silver coins, and if you're lucky, a gold ring! Good luck my friend! :occasion14:[/QUOTE
uh oh..... I sure hope that 500 hr comment was tongue in cheek. Or else I'm in real trouble. Lol. I only own tesoros and I'm a beginner to boot but am comfortable ...and realistic in saying I just don't have that kinda time. So if not tongue in cheek, your effectively making an argument against using a Tesoro. FYI.... These comments ARE at least slightly tongue in cheek.
kris

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good choice, good hunting to you !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread