WHY do YOU prefer the TESORO coil you favor ?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm one of those Tesoro users who prefers their 5.75" coil size. It's thin and super-lightweight, and lacking in ribs or openings that can hang up on brush and twigs. I also prefer to use a concentric in most places. I like that my discrimination is more consistently accurate with a concentric, and that they pinpoint more easily. I use both Widescan and concentric 5.75" in the 4 pin coils (Vaquero and Tejon), but concentric only in the 5 pin (Eldorado plastic and Bandido II microMAX).

Though I normally prefer a concentric for many of the spots I frequent, I find the 5.75" DD or Widescan, to be a more forgiving coil to use in other areas...

The Widescan sweeps a little greater area so your sweeps can be further apart; it's faster. It's also more tollerant of constant soil changes and hot rocks. I often search old campsites where soil changes from two foot deep composted pine needles, to red clay and hot rocks, and that can all be just a few feet apart. Downside is, the Widescan throws my discrimination way off, and I find it really tough to disc out bottlecaps without losing zinc pennies (or disc them out at all..), whereas with the concentric, bottlecaps are ~ much ~ less trouble.

I'm guessing that some of you like the largest DD type for greater area coverage along with good depth. But, don't you dislike their loss of discrimination accuracy, the one area where a Tesoro can really excel?

So, out of curiosity, which Tesoro coil do YOU prefer, and WHY ?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For most coin shooting and all around hunting I like the 7" concentric It has decent ground coverage, reasonable depth, good pinpointing and is nice to swing. You can Also catch me with either the 8" donut or the 5.75 concentric. I seldom use or need anything larger as over the years I've found standard and smaller coils to be more useful overall than Large coils.
BB

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mine doesn't really count because it's not in production anymore and wasn't a tesoro coil, but my answer is the Troy shadow super 7.
I also like my out of production tesoro 7" concentric, but the Troy is super thin like the modern 5.75, but just 7".
Discriminates perfectly and is really light.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I'm one of those Tesoro users who prefers their 5.75" coil size. It's thin and super-lightweight, and lacking in ribs or openings that can hang up on brush and twigs. I also prefer to use a concentric in most places. I like that my discrimination is more consistently accurate with a concentric, and that they pinpoint more easily. I use both Widescan and concentric 5.75" in the 4 pin coils (Vaquero and Tejon), but concentric only in the 5 pin (Eldorado plastic and Bandido II microMAX).

Though I normally prefer a concentric for many of the spots I frequent, I find the 5.75" DD or Widescan, to be a more forgiving coil to use in other areas...

The Widescan sweeps a little greater area so your sweeps can be further apart; it's faster. It's also more tollerant of constant soil changes and hot rocks. I often search old campsites where soil changes from two foot deep composted pine needles, to red clay and hot rocks, and that can all be just a few feet apart. Downside is, the Widescan throws my discrimination way off, and I find it really tough to disc out bottlecaps without losing zinc pennies (or disc them out at all..), whereas with the concentric, bottlecaps are ~ much ~ less trouble.

I'm guessing that some of you like the largest DD type for greater area coverage along with good depth. But, don't you dislike their loss of discrimination accuracy, the one area where a Tesoro can really excel?

So, out of curiosity, which Tesoro coil do YOU prefer, and WHY ?

The bottle cap thing is a DD issue with all brands, not just the Tesoro DD and a common issue and has to do with there design. ( A pain for sure over the concentric but in tough ground a must have). I love the 5.75 coils and use both the 5.75 concentric and the 5.75 DD on my new Tejon and also have the 11x8 RSD coil for it for larger less trash areas. I use the 5.75 concentric and the 7"dd on the Outlaw and have the 12x10 DD as well for it. I hunt in a lot of trashy areas though were the bigger coils pick up to many signals, can drive you nuts and mask stuff out.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Outlaw
* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
5.75 concentric because I hunt in some very trashy sites, some heavy iron infested sites and hunting with Tesoros in pop top infested sites with DD's just drives me crazy and depletes my energy reserves quickly but pretty much a non issue with a concentric.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5.75 concentric because I hunt in some very trashy sites, some heavy iron infested sites and hunting with Tesoros in pop top infested sites with DD's just drives me crazy and depletes my energy reserves quickly but pretty much a non issue with a concentric.

Just got another 5.75-C in 5 pin today. This one's going on my SS microMax. ^_^

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned and used many Tesoros over the years and the 5.75 concentric has been my main coil. Im down to just 5 tesoros now and they all have the 5.75 concentric save one compadre with the 8in. For the type of hunting I do in heavy square nail and pieces of tin the concentric works the best for me.

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM 1000, Whites Goldmaster II, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I would have to say that my favorite is the 4" concentric coil. I a little prejudice, because it found my first gold nugget. Jim :thumbsup:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field hunting I prefer the new 11x8 DD--excellent ground coverage and depth for relic hunting.
Trashy areas I prefer the 5.75 concentric--the best unmasking abilities of any Tesoro coil.
Most everything else my choice is the 8" round concentric--Excellent Disc., good depth and coverage but still seperates well.

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Field hunting I prefer the new 11x8 DD--excellent ground coverage and depth for relic hunting.
Trashy areas I prefer the 5.75 concentric--the best unmasking abilities of any Tesoro coil.
Most everything else my choice is the 8" round concentric--Excellent Disc., good depth and coverage but still seperates well.

I second that for all the same reasons. My 3 favorite coils on the Tesoro Tejon and the Vaquero. :icon_thumright:

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Black Tejon
* Tesoro Black Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* White's M6

Attachments

• IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4134.JPG
    IMG_4134.JPG