Tesoro Detectors And Observation On Nail Board Test DD Verses Concentric. My Thoughts

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I am curious as to what everyone thinks on my thoughts here?

I have seen a ton of You Tube videos concerning this with the Tesoro line of detectors. What my conclusion is that most if not every time the Tesoro units do well and hit the mark on both coin positions on the nail board test with the Concentric coils be it big or small giving the edge to the smaller coils but the bigger Concentric coils pass with flying colors as well. The DD/Wide scan coils do ok in a few directions but fail on both coin positions on the nail board test in one place or the other or more on the swing patterns followed on the test. This outcome seems to be consistent throughout the hole line of Tesoro detectors.

I like both types of coils and they have there place for sure without going into the details of each. (Manufactures now days tend to be leaning towards the bigger DD/Wide scan coils as standard and some not even offering Concentric coil options). I have had great finds with my smaller DD coils such as the 7" and the 5x10 type DD/Wide scan coils in old iron trash infested house sites. With that said I am reconsidering going back to these places with the new 5.75 Concentric coil that I just ordered with my new Black Tesoro Tejon with the 8x11 RSD coil on it. I was even considered getting the 5x10 elliptical DD/Wide scan for the new Tejon, but may or may not need it? ( I suppose one can use them all depending on the situation and ground). I always use the smaller coils most times for my hunts because of the high trash content and save the bigger ones for big open areas with less trash.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion and take on this.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I got the 11" x 8" coil for my Vaquero and Tejon, I haven't taken them off. I never use my concentric "Joey" coil anymore. No masking problems, no recovery speed loss that I can perceive. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Since I got the 11" x 8" coil for my Vaquero and Tejon, I haven't taken them off. I never use my concentric "Joey" coil anymore. No masking problems, no recovery speed loss that I can perceive. :skullflag:

Terry I need a coil for the new Tejon that will work well in tons of iron trash and nails at old home sites that have been torn down. What do you think?. I know the 8x11 will do as you say but not so much in the mentioned eviroment that I need a smaller coil for. Another choice is the 5x10 eliptical be it Tesoro or the Nel brand and the 5.75 wide scan.

Thanks,
Bill G

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

Also, Rusty Henry at Tesoro your good friend recommended the 5.75 concentric to me for my mentioned needs on the Tejon in old iron trash and nail infested home sites that have been torn down. Rusty even recommended it over the 5.75 DD Wide scan coil. So many diffrent points of view for sure.

happy Hunting,
Bill G

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, Rusty Henry at Tesoro your good friend recommended the 5.75 concentric to me for my mentioned needs on the Tejon in old iron trash and nail infested home sites that have been torn down. Rusty even recommended it over the 5.75 DD Wide scan coil. So many diffrent points of view for sure.

happy Hunting,
Bill G

Well, if Rusty recommended the 5.75 concentric I guess I better go back to using it more! I just can't get my hands to take off the 11" x 8"! Every time I try to take it off some big piece of gold screams at me from my trophy box to leave it on! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Well, if Rusty recommended the 5.75 concentric I guess I better go back to using it more! I just can't get my hands to take off the 11" x 8"! Every time I try to take it off some big piece of gold screams at me from my trophy box to leave it on! :laughing7:

That sounds good, big Gold. Again this recommendation from Rusty was for very bad ground with a lot of trash for the 5.75 concentric on the Tejon. He also said the Tejon with those two coils alone is a beast for most situations and said the 11x8 for my bigger coil needs and the 5.75 concentric for my smaller coil needs in areas like I mentioned and trashy parks. I forgot to ask Rusty about the mid sized Tesoro 5x10 elliptical DD coil on the Tejon. Terry do you have any experience with the Tesoro 5x10 elliptical coil on the Tejon??

I would like a good mid size coil for the Tejon as well.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only used the 5x10 elliptical on the Lobo Super Traq, and Vaquero. On the Tejon, just the stock 9" x 8" and the new 11" x 8" widescan. I like the 5" x 10" in rocky areas where I can stick it into tight places, but for me that is usually a gold claim. :skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here, our dirty dirt looks like it is rusting. You have to almost run a DD to see thru the mess.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Running both style 5.75s on my Tejon & Vaquero, I like the Widescan (DD) when my soil conditions change every few feet and I don't mind digging steel bottlecaps... I can't disc most of 'em out with the DD, without losing nickels and sometimes zincs. Pinpointing is sometimes a bit off with it as well, but that's what a pinpointer is for.

With the concentric, I can run disc lower and ignore those nasty steel caps. Aside from disc working better with the concentric, pinpointing is -always- dead nuts center. If I could get away with the concentric everywhere, that's all I'd use....but I can't. My soil goes from composted leaves or pine needles a couple feet deep, to spots with hot rocks and rusty red soil in places. Concentric just doesn't work as well there, unless I run more positive GB where I know I'm losing depth.

Using Vaquero with the small concentric today, I did pull out my fifth wheatie from a nearby camp area (a '23S !). That spot doesn't have such nasty soil as some others I do around here.

image.jpeg

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I only use two coils on my Tejon....the 11x8 Widescan and the 5.75 concentric. The new 11x8 is as Terry stated, an awesome coil! I use it about 80% of the time. But when the trash and iron gets thick the little concentric is boss. The reason I prefer the concentric over the 5.75 widescan is that it has a better "unmasking" ability. The widescan has great separation but there is a difference in separation and the ability to unmask targets.
I would also like to say that I personally put little faith in a nail board test.....nails on a board with no "rust halo" will NOT accurately represent real-world situations. An old rusty square nail with a rust halo will be more likely to false with the small widescan than when using the small concentric. I know that widescan coils handle bad soils better in most cases, but when you are talking about two coils that are less than 6" across, the amount of ground being "seen" by the coils is minimal to begin with. I strongly suggest the 5.75 concentric as your "trash coil" and the 11x8 DD for your primary search coil.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
First off, I only use two coils on my Tejon....the 11x8 Widescan and the 5.75 concentric. The new 11x8 is as Terry stated, an awesome coil! I use it about 80% of the time. But when the trash and iron gets thick the little concentric is boss. The reason I prefer the concentric over the 5.75 widescan is that it has a better "unmasking" ability. The widescan has great separation but there is a difference in separation and the ability to unmask targets.
I would also like to say that I personally put little faith in a nail board test.....nails on a board with no "rust halo" will NOT accurately represent real-world situations. An old rusty square nail with a rust halo will be more likely to false with the small widescan than when using the small concentric. I know that widescan coils handle bad soils better in most cases, but when you are talking about two coils that are less than 6" across, the amount of ground being "seen" by the coils is minimal to begin with. I strongly suggest the 5.75 concentric as your "trash coil" and the 11x8 DD for your primary search coil.

DiggerinVA

In my original posting up top I stated I liked both style coils and they have there place for sure without going into great detail on my part and was interested in others opinions. I have detected/hunted for years since I was a kid with my Dad and I agree 100% with your take on all of this myself and appreciate your opinion, a very solid and informed one for sure. I do hunt in heavy trash most of the time in my area not a lot of open areas to hunt that are not littered with heavy trash. What I would give for a sweet nice open area with good targets..Lol.

Thank You Again For Your Feedback,
Bill G

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks DiggerinVA for your many comments about the Tejon in the forums here. I am strongly considering the Tejon for deeper coins to compliment my Golden, which I use in parks. The choice of coils for the Tejon was a big question for me, but you have helped answer it.

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hihosilver, if I were you, I would get a Vaquero over a Tejon since the Tejon can be a bit chattery at times. I think you would be surprised with the Vaquero....just my .02 worth though..

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Hihosilver, if I were you, I would get a Vaquero over a Tejon since the Tejon can be a bit chattery at times. I think you would be surprised with the Vaquero....just my .02 worth though..

Fitacoma, I would strongly consider the Vaq over the Tejon... but here is my concern, perhaps you and some others can address it. Namely, does the Vaq hold its depth at high disc settings? I already have a nice gold jewelry detector in the Golden micromax. But it is not a deep machine. I need something that I set the disc just above zincs and still hit 7 or 8" dimes, and quarters deeper still. I need confidence that the Vaq can do this. I have seen scannerguys vids but there are also many people who post and say they cannot get that kind of performance from there Vaq, so that's why I am leaning towards the Tejon... the raw power and depth, even if a little unstable is attractive. I had the Outlaw, and LOVED the discriminator on it, but it lost depth at the higher disc settings.

well there it is, perhaps the Vaq is the better choice for deeper coins, but is it really that deep, or is it something that only a "hot" Vaq can do?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I would strongly consider the Vaq over the Tejon.....perhaps the Vaq is the better choice for deeper coins, but is it really that deep, or is it something that only a "hot" Vaq can do?

I think as much depends on your soil conditions and detector settings, as the Tesoro you're using. For example, an "airtest" with the GB set "about the middle" (around two turns in from either end of adjustable range), will show a different depth than when GB is set another 1/2 or full turn toward negative. Could be an inch or more difference. Mild soil does allow for running both negative on GB and also a higher (closer to max) sensitivity. In high mineralization...sensitivity has to be run lower and GB more positive.
I sure have noticed the Vaquero hunting deeper in composted leaves and pine needles, where I can cut the GB back (-) and run sensitivity up higher. I think you'll find that most any Tesoro with adjustable GB will run deeper than a machine with fixed GB, especially if that fixed setting is too positive and you can't alter it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread