One More Coil For The Tejon Which One ? I Have Listed Three Any Others ?

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I am looking at adding a coil to my collection of coils for the new Tejon. I have the 11x8 RSD coil and a 5.75 Concentric for it now. These cover pretty much all of my needs except maybe a smaller coil for really mineralized trash laden grounds I sometimes hunt. The 5.75 Concentric I have may handle the mineralization areas just fine? I have not tried the 5.75 Concentric yet on the Tejon in the heavy mineralized stuff. The one thing is Tesoro don't really make an in between size coil really. I do get into mineralized ground so I was thinking a DD Widescan coil.

My choices would be..

* Tesoro 5x10 Elliptical...May be to close in size to my 11x8 to be a bennifit? Other than being more narrow.

* Nel 5.5x9.5 Elliptical but have heard there noisy, I can't confirm this though and also may be to close in size to my 11x8 to be a binnifit ? Other than being more narrow.

* Tesoro 5.75 DD Widescan. Not a mid size coil but a good DD for the mineralization and trashy areas and it may or may not do better ( but possibly could in bad ground) than the 5.75 Concentric coil that I already have.

On another note.

I was also thinking of getting the Tesoro 8" donut coil for the Tejon because this coil has performed so well on other Tesoros I have owned and used.. Any opinions on this coil for the Tejon or feedback??

Thanks For All The Feedback.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

*Tesoro Outlaw
* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, I've used the 5.75 Widescan/DD on the Tejon and it does pretty well. I'm frequently hunting old camp sites in my local mountains, and some have nasty soil. I usually keep that DD coil on one of my Vaqueros. I don't like that ferrous bottle caps don't disc out where they should with it, but I'm understanding that's just an issue with DD coils on Tesoros.

I've been wanting to try the 8" chocolate donut on my 4 pin machines. If it works as well on the H.O.T. Tesoros as on the 5 pin machines, it would be a great park coil.

I've tried only one of the Nel/Cors coils, the Cors Fortune, which I believe is the = to the Nel you're asking about. I tried it on a 5 pin Tesoro, and didn't care for it. It wasn't as deep as the 5.75 concentric, and my disc settings were way off. That was on a 5 pin though, not my Tejon or Vaquero.

I haven't tried the Tesoro elliptical.

So... I'd be tempted to get the 8" donut, in fact, I may just order one. If you regularly do trashy spots in mineralized soil, try the 5.75 Widescan. ^_^

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm liking my 7" widescan but you already have the RSD,I don't have the tejon but I bet the RSD is all you need with the 5.75" concentric.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I'm liking my 7" widescan but you already have the RSD,I don't have the tejon but I bet the RSD is all you need with the 5.75" concentric.

I would agree with you on your reply. Also I use the 7" DD Widescan on my Outlaw now and then and it's a sweet coil. The 8" donut that came with the Outlaw is a great park coil and it pinpoints spot on. That leads me to the thinking below.

I am thinking or leaning towards maybe now picking up the factory size 8x9" Tejon concentric for the parks I hunt with low to mid ground conditions. Areas were the 5.75 coil would not cover the ground fast enough in the lesser to moderate trash areas of the parks.(The Tesoro 8x9" and the 8" doughnut coils really do pretty good in moderate trash for there size and both pinpoint spot on).The 8x9" would allow me good coverage and depth plus the spot on pinpointing needed when hunting in nice turf such as parks or manicured yards. Also would be considered a mid size coil. Not to say one can not pin point well with the new 11x8 RSD coil.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two of those 8x9s in four pin. Would swap a nice one for a clean 4 pin 8" or 5.75 concentric, if anyone wanted... ^_^

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have two of those 8x9s in four pin. Would swap a nice one for a clean 4 pin 8" or 5.75 concentric, if anyone wanted... ^_^

I would take you you up on that if I had two 5.75 concentrics but I only have one 5.75 concentric 4 pin.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread