Which tesoro (new or used) would be a good addition for me?

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a E trac and a AT pro with stock and sniper type coils for both of them ( x5 & snake).

The Etrac is my main land unit and I got the AT Pro when my local Cabelas had their crazy sale on them earlier this year and I use it for wading.

I enjoy hunting for old coins and rings etc. The areas I hunt are either 100 yr old parks with aluminum trash or fresh water surf areas loaded with small to medium iron. I rarely hunt relics and never nuggets.

I believe our soil isn't too bad around here as far as mineralization goes.

It's always fun to try other detectors and I have been watching the auction sites for used Tesoros over the last few weeks and have a few questions.

What Tesoro, new or used, do you think could be a good addition to my arsenal, for my type of hunting? If you could name a current model along with a older used model that would be great. Or maybe I have it covered with what I already own??

Myself, I was thinking of getting a Compadre and hopefully increasing my small gold finds, as I read that this model is supposedly good for tiny chains, charms etc?

Thanks for your opinions

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a "bad" Tesoro....but the Compadre is a great jewelry hunter! Lacks a little depth for old coins. Tejon is my favorite, but a Relic hunter by nature. Vaquero is a great machine, but for your use I would look for a used Bandido 2, Eldorado Umax or Silver Sabre Umax. All three have become legends and have great Disc circuits and unbelievable unmasking abilities. This is more important than anything to me since most existing targets in a well hunted location such as an old park are still there because of masking from other trash targets and not the fact of depth. Use a concentric coil on them for maximum intended performance.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I know the Compadre isn't known as a depth demon, the 8" coil model seems to be a bit deeper than the smaller coils, but in the area of jewelry the really tiny stuff and especially chains I have never swung another that hits so hard on that sort of thing.

As far as iron I have read many posts from some top notch very successful and long experienced hunters that use top end machines hunting in iron heavy sites like hard hunted farm fields and more.
When the finds slowed down to absolutely nothing in those sites they came in with a Compadre and seemed almost shocked that they easily found more.
Once you use one and see what it can do first hand this isn't as shocking as you might think.

Regarding trash I have the 7" coil model with the sense almost maxed out internally and I can still hunt in the most dense, iron or trash infested sites with confidence.
The recovery speed and separation abilities on this thing is other worldly.

In a super trashy old park near a picnic pavilion I hit this thing like a hammer even though it was surrounded on at least 2 sides with some sort of aluminum or foil or small can slaw trash.
I mean this junk was real close and my coil had to be over all of these targets at the same time.
Didn't matter, I got a good solid dig me tone hunting with low disc and then I turned the disc up higher to knock out that garbage and this thing still came through loud and clear like a beacon.

The smallest, thinnest silver ring I ever found.
.3 grams....not three grams....point three grams.

Attachments

• user10659_pic63538_1420113566.jpg
    user10659_pic63538_1420113566.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Thanks for the advice guys,... What model did I go with???.....couldn't make up my mind so I bought 2 :laughing7: .

I have no intention of getting rid of any of my other machines, as I feel I am just starting to really understand my E Trac after a season of use. But there are times I would like to try other machines in certain situations and since after 30-40 years of detecting I figure it finally about time I try a Tesoro Product.

I ordered a new Compadre and while waiting for it to be delivered I saw Bandito II micromax come up on ebay today. After some offers and counter offers, I ended up buying it for $225. I think that is a decent price. It appears to be in great condition.

Kind of anxious to hit some of my iron infested sites and see what I can do. Hopefully I can dig some smaller gold jewellery out of the wire and nails.

b21.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Thanks for the advice guys,... What model did I go with???.....couldn't make up my mind so I bought 2 :laughing7: .
....I figure it finally about time I try a Tesoro Product.

I ordered a new Compadre and while waiting for it to be delivered I saw Bandito II micromax come up on ebay today. After some offers and counter offers, I ended up buying it for $225. I think that is a decent price. It appears to be in great condition.

Kind of anxious to hit some of my iron infested sites and see what I can do. Hopefully I can dig some smaller gold jewellery out of the wire and nails...

Great price on an awesome Tesoro! I think you're going to love it. ^_^

I like mine so much, I rarely use it... It's for special occasions. I take the Outlaw nearly everywhere now, but the B2m is a super Tesoro.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Cortes that found many great things. I have also owned a Deleon. I have also used a friends Silver Umax and Tejon. Nothing bad to say about any of them. Great machines at a great price and lifetime warranty to boot! Cant be beat. Oh and I almost forgot about my Cibola! Now THAT was a kick butt machine at an awesome price!!

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adding to what Diggerin VA mentioned, I am also thinking of another Tesoro in the near future not sure what to choose out of a used machines I already have a new black "V".

Can anyone comment more on the discrimination circuitry on the Tesoro's older models? What year did Tesoro evolve in their descrimination circuitry and what earlier detector would you suggest, and can we include the Compadre to that list? What difference is the Compadre and the Tejon at ED 180 Silent Search vs 120 Silent Search Descrimination other models?

I don't want to pay more then $250.00 on a used detector. I want a machine to sift through the trash first, then onto my deep "V" cherry picker.

If I ever wanted to purchase new I would wait for 2 years before thinking of buying a new detector if one is not released I may resort to a used Tejon.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding to what Diggerin VA mentioned, I am also thinking of another Tesoro in the near future not sure what to choose out of a used machines I already have a new black "V".

Can anyone comment more on the discrimination circuitry on the Tesoro's older models? What year did Tesoro evolve in their descrimination circuitry and what earlier detector would you suggest, and can we include the Compadre to that list? What difference is the Compadre and the Tejon at ED 180 Silent Search vs 120 Silent Search Descrimination other models?

I don't want to pay more then $250.00 on a used detector. I want a machine to sift through the trash first, then onto my deep "V" cherry picker.

If I ever wanted to purchase new I would wait for 2 years before thinking of buying a new detector if one is not released I may resort to a used Tejon.

Don't know that the Tejon is any better than the Vaq. in heavy trash....just a little deeper and I like the trigger switch. Also, a shade hotter on low conductors like nickels, gold, and lead.....also loves small brass relics. My son has a 5.75" Compadre and has pulled small relics where other "professional" machines have hunted. The little Compadre is never a bad choice for anyone. But for iron trash the Bandido 2 micromax is king of the Tesoro machines in my opinion. OUtlaw is very similar but I didn't care for the red push button on the Outlaw. A bandido 2 for less than $250 is a steal! But ofcourse, every Tesoro is a steal!!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the Bandido 2 will pick up about 2" in depth by running about 1/4 turn to the negative on GB when using in good to moderate ground.....

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

I think the disc is quieter in iron on the ED120 there for it may be perceived by some as better but I would not go as far as to say it's more accurate ( ED120 & ED180 disc circuits they have different traits). All the Tesoro units have a great disc on them be it ED120 or ED180.

A little more clarification on my statement.

How the Outlaw and older design Tesoro's with ED120 compared to the Tejon and Vaquero Hot detectors with ED180 disc,(Vaquero is really more like ED165) even though Tesoro just recently changed there web page to say ED120 instead ED180.

Well first off the older Tesoro units and the Outlaw with the ED120 disc are quieter running machine (by design) and will be that way in iron trash because of the ED120 disc and the 10 hrz lower operating frequency. The Tejon with its 180ED disc and the Vaquero with their higher operating frequency and there wider range of discrimination in the disc mode just make them more noisy in iron trash but they will except a way wider range of iron targets or targets that fall in the lower ranges of the disc (this really holds true for the Tejon and is less with the Vaquero). You can disk down low enough in the iron with the Tejon to pick up individual nails of your choice if you like (relic hunters love this). This is something you could never do with the older Tesoro units as well as the Outlaw even at its lowest disk setting the ED120 disc on these units is still going to knock out a lot of the iron/nails and other targets in this range still. The Tejon and the Vaquero will not making them better overall relic machines while still maintaining the ability to be great coin and jewelry detectors as well.

The reason so many folks love the older Tesoro units including the Compadre is because of how quiet they ran in iron trash and how well they discriminated. In the big picture you can’t go wrong with any of the Tesoro units.

I personally like hearing the clicks and pops of iron and the nails with the ED180 on my Tejon and like the ability to disc down and get these items if I choose to. Others may not prefer this as stated and will like the ED120 disc circuit for a more quiet hunting detector in these invironments.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* White's M6

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advise everyone, very insightful and real appreciate it.

HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread