Looking for a new pair of headsets for my Tesoro Vaquero any suggestions?

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any suggestions on a great set of headsets, two muffs or one, and what brand?

I very much like my Killer B's Wasp headphones on all my Tesoros. They're fairly high pitch, which really helps with the standard Vaquero tone, and they also sound great with the higher audio tone Tesoros I have. They're very sensitive, have leather headband and ear cushions, and a good quality coiled cord with 90* 1/4" angled plug. The Wasp model also uses dual volume controls, and locking toggles for stereo/mono and a limiter circuit.
Another headphone I'd consider but don't own, is the Sunray Pro Gold. I believe the Sunray is also made by the same guy as the Killer B's, and has similar features and comparable pricing. Best price I've seen on those headphones is from Colonial MD.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check out Detector Pro's Black Widow's.http://www.detectorpro.com/blackwidow.htm
blackwidowfull.jpg Or the Grey Ghost's.

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have used Killer Bee and I like the quality but I find the sound just little to tinny sounding for me. The Gray Ghost made by Detector Pro have good sound not tinny sounding at all but the one thing I don't care for about them is the volume knobs Detector Pro uses. They do not have enough fine adjustment in the detents. They jump up real high in volume on the last detents, they need more of a finite volume adjust knobs like the Killer Bee & the White's Pro Star & the Sun Ray Pro headphones have. Sun Rays Pro made by Killer Bee just to tinny sounding for me but great build quality.

I just picked up a pair of the full size White's Pro Star headphones and to my surprise I really really like these headphones and they work great on my Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero. They have great sound not tinny but full sounding and plenty of controllable volume. They also have a lifetime guarantee with 40 detent duel duel volume knobs and leather ear cushions. I find them very comfy and very well built with good volume and a full crisp fineite adjustable sound.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used Killer Bee and I like the quality but I find the sound just little to tinny sounding for me. The Gray Ghost made by Detector Pro have good sound not tinny sounding at all but the one thing I don't care for about them is the volume knobs Detector Pro uses. They do not have enough fine adjustment in the detents. They jump up real high in volume on the last detents, they need more of a finite volume adjust knobs like the Killer Bee & the White's Pro Star & the Sun Ray Pro headphones have. Sun Rays Pro made by Killer Bee just to tinny sounding for me but great build quality.

I just picked up a pair of the full size White's Pro Star headphones and to my surprise I really really like these headphones and they work great on my Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero. They have great sound not tinny but full sounding and plenty of controllable volume. They also have a lifetime guarantee with 40 detent duel duel volume knobs and leather ear cushions. I find them very comfy and very well built with good volume and a full crisp fineite adjustable sound.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I think I came to a conclusion and brought it down to four Headphones I have decided on that I want on my Christmas this year. First The Sun Ray Pro Gold (26 deci), 2nd Grey Ghost Ultimate NTD, Third Grey Ghost Original(24 deci), Fourth Whites Gold Star (? Deci). Are the Ultimate's and Original both at 150 Ohms as the Sun Rays are? I could get the Whites Pro Star (50 Ohms) as you mentioned but want to know if I went with one of the three would I be ok especially on the Vaq. I have not ruled the Whites Pro Star out yet. Anything else you could add Bill?

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I very much like my Killer B's Wasp headphones on all my Tesoros. They're fairly high pitch, which really helps with the standard Vaquero tone, and they also sound great with the higher audio tone Tesoros I have. They're very sensitive, have leather headband and ear cushions, and a good quality coiled cord with 90* 1/4" angled plug. The Wasp model also uses dual volume controls, and locking toggles for stereo/mono and a limiter circuit.
Another headphone I'd consider but don't own, is the Sunray Pro Gold. I believe the Sunray is also made by the same guy as the Killer B's, and has similar features and comparable pricing. Best price I've seen on those headphones is from Colonial MD.

I am steering towards the Sunray Pro Gold or as Bill G mentioned the Whites ProStar I think anything else you can add..

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Killer B's Wasp headphones after trying some others. Sunray Pro Gold is the same except for its switches. Both are made by the same person. The Sunray Pro Gold have rubber boots on the switches and are non-locking. The Killer B's Wasp have locking switches without the rubber boot covers. Without the locking switches the Sunray Pro Gold is easier to switch off if you have a noises detector that you don't won't to have to listen to while digging. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about the locking switches on the Killer B's getting switched accidentally into the wrong position. Both are great choices!

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Killer B's Wasp headphones after trying some others. Sunray Pro Gold is the same except for its switches. Both are made by the same person. The Sunray Pro Gold have rubber boots on the switches and are non-locking. The Killer B's Wasp have locking switches without the rubber boot covers. Without the locking switches the Sunray Pro Gold is easier to switch off if you have a noises detector that you don't won't to have to listen to while digging. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about the locking switches on the Killer B's getting switched accidentally into the wrong position. Both are great choices!

You da man, Tabman, Thanks for the advice, my mind is set on the the Sunray Pro Golds.

Best Regards.:headbang:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I think I came to a conclusion and brought it down to four Headphones I have decided on that I want on my Christmas this year. First The Sun Ray Pro Gold (26 deci), 2nd Grey Ghost Ultimate NTD, Third Grey Ghost Original(24 deci), Fourth Whites Gold Star (? Deci). Are the Ultimate's and Original both at 150 Ohms as the Sun Rays are? I could get the Whites Pro Star (50 Ohms) as you mentioned but want to know if I went with one of the three would I be ok especially on the Vaq. I have not ruled the Whites Pro Star out yet. Anything else you could add Bill?[/QUOTE

Yes, hands down in my humble opinion the White's Pro Star phones sound great on the Vaquero and the Tejon detectors they also sound great on my White's M6 and have lifetime guarantee. Don't let the little bit lower Ohms on the White's Pro Star phones fool you (White's did this for a reason). It gives the speakers a broader tone range not so tinny sounding much fuller. I find I hear more in the ground with them hands down over the other headphones being discussed hear.The Gray Ghost brand phones (Detector Pro) don't have as nice of volume knobs and on the last detent jump up real high in volume compared to the detent right before the last volume detent and I don't like this at all. (This has been the case with the volume knobs on every detector Pro/Gray ghost headphone I have ever tried). The Gray Ghost come in second in sound for me on the Tesoro detectors Vaquero/Tejon and are not tinny sounding more full range. The Sun Ray Pro Gold's in my opinion are tiny sounding like the Killer Bee headphones as they are manufactured by Killer Bee for Sun Ray with a little better quality switches and toggles but the same speakers and cups.

Best of luck on your decision all the headphones asked about are good and folks like them all for there own personal different reasons.

Detect Safe,
Bill G

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I came to a conclusion and brought it down to four Headphones I have decided on that I want on my Christmas this year. First The Sun Ray Pro Gold (26 deci), 2nd Grey Ghost Ultimate NTD, Third Grey Ghost Original(24 deci), Fourth Whites Gold Star (? Deci). Are the Ultimate's and Original both at 150 Ohms as the Sun Rays are? I could get the Whites Pro Star (50 Ohms) as you mentioned but want to know if I went with one of the three would I be ok especially on the Vaq. I have not ruled the Whites Pro Star out yet. Anything else you could add Bill?[/QUOTE

Yes, hands down in my humble opinion the White's Pro Star phones sound great on the Vaquero and the Tejon detectors they also sound great on my White's M6 and have lifetime guarantee. Don't let the little bit lower Ohms on the White's Pro Star phones fool you (White's did this for a reason). It gives the speakers a broader tone range not so tinny sounding much fuller. I find I hear more in the ground with them hands down over the other headphones being discussed hear.The Gray Ghost brand phones (Detector Pro) don't have as nice of volume knobs and on the last detent jump up real high in volume compared to the detent right before the last volume detent and I don't like this at all. (This has been the case with the volume knobs on every detector Pro/Gray ghost headphone I have ever tried). The Gray Ghost come in second in sound for me on the Tesoro detectors Vaquero/Tejon and are not tinny sounding more full range. The Sun Ray Pro Gold's in my opinion are tiny sounding like the Killer Bee headphones as they are manufactured by Killer Bee for Sun Ray with a little better quality switches and toggles but the same speakers and cups.

Best of luck on your decision all the headphones asked about are good and folks like them all for there own personal different reasons.

Detect Safe,
Bill G

Didn't get the White Pro Star's I wanted for Xmas this year even when they were on sale but Birthday coming up.

One last thing here Bill before I decided on the White's Pro Star.

Well after reviewing the headphones I like what I have heard about the Deteknix's Transmit / Receive Wireless to use with your own Detecting Headphones. I think this will give me the over all flexibility. I thought long and hard on everyone suggestions on the Whites brand, Sunray Pro or Killer B's, and Detector Pro's Grey Ghost lines, it is finally coming down to the Grey Ghost NDT. Any objections out there before I purchase this for my two detectors?8-) What about the volume detents on the Whites and what I would be spending in total for this over the White's Pro Star, would I be making a wise decision for just wireless, or better sounding to what I can pick up in the ground with the White's Pro Star vs the GG NDT as you mentioned? Flexibility is now entering the arena here.:icon_scratch:

And by the time I add up both at $175 for headphones and then $145 for wireless accessories..geez do I really need to future proof this by going with the GG NDT then down the road get the Deteknix afterwards?? Has anyone used bluetooth wireless headphone while detecting, or just fine with attached cord? Could always spend the extra bucks on another Tesoro anyways down the road say the 8"Compadre instead if I wanted..

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't get the White Pro Star's I wanted for Xmas this year even when they were on sale but Birthday coming up.

One last thing here Bill before I decided on the White's Pro Star.

Well after reviewing the headphones I like what I have heard about the Deteknix's Transmit / Receive Wireless to use with your own Detecting Headphones. I think this will give me the over all flexibility. I thought long and hard on everyone suggestions on the Whites brand, Sunray Pro or Killer B's, and Detector Pro's Grey Ghost lines, it is finally coming down to the Grey Ghost NDT. Any objections out there before I purchase this for my two detectors?8-) What about the volume detents on the Whites and what I would be spending in total for this over the White's Pro Star, would I be making a wise decision for just wireless, or better sounding to what I can pick up in the ground with the White's Pro Star vs the GG NDT as you mentioned? Flexibility is now entering the arena here.:icon_scratch:

And by the time I add up both at $175 for headphones and then $145 for wireless accessories..geez do I really need to future proof this by going with the GG NDT then down the road get the Deteknix afterwards?? Has anyone used bluetooth wireless headphone while detecting, or just fine with attached cord? Could always spend the extra bucks on another Tesoro anyways down the road say the 8"Compadre instead if I wanted..

Actually just found out that I can use this down the road with the any headphone just may sound more convenient with the GG NDT though, I can still connect with the White's Pro Star and put the reciever end in my pocket or attach it to my arm here. I should be good to make a decision here still on the headphones regardless.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I feel like I'm missing out.
I'm using some generic old Garret black headphones with a stereo/mono switch and a volume control on ear muffs lol.
The irony is they wouldn't work on my ace350 when I had it. They came with an old Deleon I bought and work fine with tesoros but the ace was very muted. Probably because of the ohms or something.
Just thought it was ironic that the Garrett headphones didn't work with my ace lol.
I do have a cheap pair of "nubwoa" or something from Amazon I got for my racer 2 because they were black and red like the logo but they aren't over the ear. They look better than they work.
I think I should start using a good pair this year.
Maybe get that deteknix wireless thing.
Always have the cords getting in my way and have to remove the headphones each dig so I gave up on trying to use them.

Lots of good information here guys!!
Thanks and happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread