3"x18" widescan coil

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw is a great machine with my two favorite concentric coils, the 5.75" and 8" donut. While I do have the 4" concentric as well, I've found it to be lacking in depth, and sort of a pain to use anywhere but small tot-lots, around the steel poles. The 4" requires lots of patience, as you need to go really slow and use lots of overlap. I have no experience with the "cleansweep" coil, but some people seem to love 'em.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cleansweep coil on my Tiger Shark. My Tiger Shark is older model so I can still change coils. Cleansweep isn't real deep, only about 8" but great for covering lots of area in short amount of time. It pinpoints easy off front or back easy. I don't have a 4" concentric yet.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3"x18" widescan coil

That's kind of one extreme to the other like saying I want to drive 35mph or 180mph everywhere I go! Lol
I use the 3x18 on a Silver uMax for modern sport fields and park type areas. It is an absolute coin and jewelry killer. Many of the targets I am able to pick up with the Garrett pinpointer before I ever dig. If it's less than say 2-3" I usually just cut a slit and recover target without cutting a plug(which can get you kicked out of public areas). I have picked up quarters in the 5-6" range but most modern coins I find are less than 4".
Pinpointing with the Cleansweep is easy. Simply quick sweep the target while moving coil forward or backwards. Pick a visual spot on the ground and take note where the signal drops out off the heel or toe of the coil!

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...If it's less than say 2-3" I usually just cut a slit and recover target without cutting a plug(which can get you kicked out of public areas)...

I try to do the same, which is easy in soft park soil. With the concentric coil, I can often put my digger straight down onto (sometimes scratching) a coin, making my slit in the grass. I then poke the digger in from the side and pop up the soil through the slit, hopefully along with my target. Easy to push the soil back into the center and close the flaps...a surgical coinectomy. ^_^

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's kind of one extreme to the other like saying I want to drive 35mph or 180mph everywhere I go! Lol
I use the 3x18 on a Silver uMax for modern sport fields and park type areas. It is an absolute coin and jewelry killer. Many of the targets I am able to pick up with the Garrett pinpointer before I ever dig. If it's less than say 2-3" I usually just cut a slit and recover target without cutting a plug(which can get you kicked out of public areas). I have picked up quarters in the 5-6" range but most modern coins I find are less than 4".
Pinpointing with the Cleansweep is easy. Simply quick sweep the target while moving coil forward or backwards. Pick a visual spot on the ground and take note where the signal drops out off the heel or toe of the coil!

Yeah, you're right...lol! Never thought about it like that.

I have some very specific uses for the machine.

I've been researching too much, but I've seen the Silver UMax 3x18 combo praised as gifted on the jewels...along with the several others.

It would be easier to decide if all the machines could use the 3x18.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread