Am I expecting too much from my Tesoro?

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took my 2 recently acquired Tesoro's, Compadre and Banditto 2 Umax, to my iron infested hot spot.

This area of fresh water beach/surf area is just loaded with iron junk. Very little aluminum.

I have done pretty well here using my E trac and x-5 coil in TTF mode. I also did OK using my AT Pro with a snake coil too. But after reading how well Tesoro's do in the iron and that they can pick out the gold out of the trash, I figure I would give it a try.

I dunno, maybe my settings aren't correct, but it seems like both machines get overwhelmed by all the iron. Even when turning up the discrim to max the machines seem to be incredibly noisy. I'm thinking that maybe I need a smaller coil??? I know there is gold jewelry there and was hoping the Tesoro's would be a useful addition to the arsenal.

Now I know a couple outings isn't a fair test, so I am hoping for some tips on how to run my BII Umax in the heavy iron.

I balanced it, set sens around 8, and had discrim at 5 to start and keep turning it up as I hunted, but it didn't seem to help with the noise.

Here is a example of the discrim pattern that I ran on the E trac, it eliminates most of the iron, but not all........... and a pic of the crap that I still end up scooping to give a idea on the amount of iron.

Thanks

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6744.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn your sensitivity down to Six, and set your discrimination at 5.5
Try swinging SLOWER first. Then do some experimenting by speeding up your swing. Big, Deep, Iron always sounds fuzzy or buzzy at the end of the signal. Aluminum also tends to have a buzzie signature or ragged edge. A Gold signal will be crisp, almost like a bell (Zip-Zip not ZZZippp-ZZZippp). :skullflag:

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the 5.75 concentric is preferred in the iron on the Bandido.

I've heard it helps disc out the iron better than any of the DD coils.

Edit: And it gets amazing depth and separation. Just lower the sens and or raise the coil to work the top couple inches. I've gotten close or at 7" on a dime with my Bandido II uMax.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the coil that comes on my machine, and rarely dig iron.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget to raise your coil higher off of the ground when swinging or holding it stationary (in one spot) or it can get completely overwhelmed (overloaded) by the signal from the iron. It then appears to be nothing more than a very wide mass of iron which masks the smaller (lesser) signal of other small and or single item targets. It's a lot like a baby bee hiding in and among a lot of bigger and more powerful bees that are guarding the little guy. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread