🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I used my Cibola for the first time on a colonial farm field. There are things I like and some I dislike. Here goes.
Let me first start off by saying this machine probably has THE BEST discrimination I've ever seen. I began by setting the disc to nickel, sensitivity all the way up, pressed and held the pinpoint button and set the threshold to just audible.
I started swinging and heard nothing! At all. Just silence. After 10 minutes I started thinking something was wrong. Waved my ringed finger over the coil and got a nice bang. Ok?
Started swinging again and nothing. Then all of a sudden a bang, clear, crisp, and repeatable. It was a broken corner of a shoe buckle. Cool.
i guess I'm not used to detecting without a constant threshold hum in the background and constant blips from the machine trying to discriminate a target.
It's also super light and depth is damn good for such a small coil(9x8).
I would like to know if anyone has modified the threshold button using a different switch so I don't have to keep holding the button down for all metal. Maybe a three way like on the whites machines? And is it possible to incorporate the threshold into the discriminate mode so I can hear those deep wavers in the threshold, indicating a deep target out of tone range?
One other thing I noticed is when the discrimination was set at minimum the machine would still run quiet. I would then press the all metal button and get a zip zip in multiple places, go over the same places now in discriminate(set at minimum) and not hear anything. Does this machine not hear iron?
Sorry if this post is too long, thanks for listening. Mike

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I used my Cibola for the first time on a colonial farm field. There are things I like and some I dislike......I would like to know if anyone has modified the threshold button using a different switch so I don't have to keep holding the button down for all metal. Maybe a three way like on the whites machines?....

Yup. It's a fairly common modification, usually done along with the "ground balance mod".

Many Cibolas now sport a 10 turn ground balance potentiometer to fine tune the GB, and people put that pot where the pinpoint button was (long pot, the 10 turn, and that's where it'll fit), then they add a 3 position toggle underneath, like the Tejon uses. You can switch it into either all-metal (threshold), or disc, and have a spring loaded momentary all-metal for pinpointing, like the red button does. I recently bought a couple Cibolas (one high tone), just to modify. Waiting on the pots and toggle switches, which should all be here in a couple weeks (ebay, shipped from China). The pot and switch came to about $5 a pair, shipped! Of course, most people who bought their Cibola new, may never want to do this; their warranty would be voided.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds good, but is there a way of adding threshold to the discriminate mode.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MIke!!!!! Stop thinking about ways to fix something that aint broke! Learn to TRUST the Cibola. I know you are used to a whole lot of Minelab noise, but the silent search mode is HEAVEN. You have already found out how good the discrimination is, just learn to trust it and enjoy the experience! :occasion14:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MIke!!!!! Stop thinking about ways to fix something that aint broke! Learn to TRUST the Cibola. I know you are used to a whole lot of Minelab noise, but the silent search mode is HEAVEN. You have already found out how good the discrimination is, just learn to trust it and enjoy the experience! :occasion14:
Fine Terry, I'll trust you on this one. Thanks for the shake.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I modified my civil with both a toggle and a GB pot. In retrospect, with my mild soil, I wish I wouldn't have. I already have a vaquero.
It is a big risk doing this mod. It works very well, but if I had to do it over again I'd leave it stock.
To check how your unit is set, hold the pinpoint button and raise and lower the coil to the ground from 12"-1 or 2". The more constant the threshold tone (forgot to say to set that to an audible hum first).
Mine was positive and quite a bit which is part of the reason i did the mid, but it worked fine.
I got lucky that I didn't break it.
If you want a modded civil, get a vaquero lol.
Happy hunting!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Cibola has found thousands of dollars of goodies. Don't worry about the silence. It will SCREAM at you when you pass over something. Put the discriminator very low and dig that big iron, may be a colonial horseshoe or cannon shot or other goodie. Terry is absolutely right.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I used my Cibola for the first time on a colonial farm field. There are things I like and some I dislike. Here goes.
Let me first start off by saying this machine probably has THE BEST discrimination I've ever seen. I began by setting the disc to nickel, sensitivity all the way up, pressed and held the pinpoint button and set the threshold to just audible.
I started swinging and heard nothing! At all. Just silence. After 10 minutes I started thinking something was wrong. Waved my ringed finger over the coil and got a nice bang. Ok?
Started swinging again and nothing. Then all of a sudden a bang, clear, crisp, and repeatable. It was a broken corner of a shoe buckle. Cool.
i guess I'm not used to detecting without a constant threshold hum in the background and constant blips from the machine trying to discriminate a target.
It's also super light and depth is damn good for such a small coil(9x8).
I would like to know if anyone has modified the threshold button using a different switch so I don't have to keep holding the button down for all metal. Maybe a three way like on the whites machines? And is it possible to incorporate the threshold into the discriminate mode so I can hear those deep wavers in the threshold, indicating a deep target out of tone range?
One other thing I noticed is when the discrimination was set at minimum the machine would still run quiet. I would then press the all metal button and get a zip zip in multiple places, go over the same places now in discriminate(set at minimum) and not hear anything. Does this machine not hear iron?
Sorry if this post is too long, thanks for listening. Mike

I understand you push the PinPoint (red) Button to obtain that threshold hum, and hunt that way?!
You said you are so used to hearing something all the time.....Anyway - forget it!
All you have to do is listen for your faithful Cibola to sound off, letting you know to stop and check things out a bit more...
All-metal mode would be zero discrimination.
Since this machine has factory-set ground balance, changing ground conditions doesn't mess with you much.
In clayey soils, where extreeme heat of a recent forest fire, the ground effect was terrible for me, but elsewhere, I never had a bad experience - it's a turn it on and GO machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread