JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have some good equipment. Spend the time and save the money. I have been using a 5.75 concentric but the other day at the park i started with the 11x8 that came on the black and i really like it. It pin points great and has quick recovery. Also it covers a lot of ground even though the targets can be concentrated in spots. The Tejon is more weight not bad and more bells and whistles. Battery life has been great too. Some people say it eats batteries but not in my case. Some say it chatters bad, I don't find that to be true being i can run the sens. on 10 almost everywhere here, but i generally back it of in trashy places to 7. It is a powerhouse, but the vaq has plenty of juice to make it happen.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 11x8 is a good coil. Well made, light weight, very sensitive, good coverage and depth...but loves bottlecaps. ^_^

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea i noticed that on the bottle caps. Never really had that problem with the 5.75 concentric.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea i noticed that on the bottle caps. Never really had that problem with the 5.75 concentric.

Joe, a question for you:

Using the 5.75" concentric on your Tejon, where in the disc range are zinc cents discing out?

I put the 5.75c on my snappier Tejon yesterday and took it for a walk in a really trashy spot. While that particular Tejon seems really "sparky" and super-quick on retune, it did a pretty fair job of ignoring the steel caps, pulltabs and zinc cents...but only with disc set really high, actually past the screwcap setting. I don't think anything is wrong with my Tejon or the 5.75", just that the Tejon isn't the right Tesoro for coinshooting...

Are other people attempting to coinshoot with a Tejon, and having to run disc that high, in order to ignore zincs?

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincs if i remember correctly run out i think right before screw cap. Its weird because I've had some run out sooner. Ill double check that to be for sure. Kinda like n the compadre. The Tejon hits coins good, but I haven't got real good handle on it yet. I can call it a lot of times though. Dimes fade out right before max and quarters go all the way but they are loud and blairy sounding. The 11x8 loves steel bottle caps. Im only on my second set of batteries. The first set i ran down to two beeps still digging deep. I can run my sensitivity on ten with no chatter but i generally back it down to 7 in concentrated spots. Spots loaded with targets, then check the faint ones with more gain. I can't wait to learn this machine, it does love small junk but so does the compadre. Im learning the sounds to where i call almost every tab. I dig them to see if I'm right, in hopes it is gold. Tabs do sound good the deeper they are no doubt, but blair close to the surface. Im sure you are well aware of all i just said. Im a newbie still so, tips are helpful.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincs if i remember correctly run out i think right before screw cap. Its weird because I've had some run out sooner...

Thanks.
Now I'm thinking something may be up with that particular 5.75c coil I tried on it (bought it used), as zincs disc out higher than normal with that same coil on my Vaquero, too. I have another 5.75c I'll need to try on the Tejon (bought that one new) just to compare the two.
Funny thing though; nickels drop out just where they're supposed to with the questionable 5.75c, just the zincs are discing too high; weird. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked it. With a clean 1997 zinc on air test it is gone right on the S at the Scap. Now I've found a lot of zincs that are corroded and they can do weird stuff. So that is almost all the way max.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine also loves bottlecaps, but at this point in time I can about 80% of the time it's a bottlecap before I dig it. I use my two Tesoros a LOT.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pulltab should not have a Halo since aluminium does not rust or corrode like iron. The pulltabs orientation in the ground will play a role in how it comes in on your disc. circuit. Try this, helped me alot.....Save the next few pulltabs and junk targets that you dig up that sound good to you. Lay them on the ground spread out a little and lay down some good targets with them (seperated some).....put a piece of plywood or such over the targets and just practice going over them and really listening to the subtle differences. Aluminum tends to "blare" or have an ebrupt end to its sound, whereas coins usually sound very "round".......good headphones make a big difference here.

I agree Good Headphones are a Must, I had some Old but Good HP'S but left the 'End Plug' hanging out the trunk of the Car So the plug scraped the 10 or so miles Home .

I been using so Back-ups for the last month & I've noticed the Tejon not sounding Right . (What I was used to for 3+ years.).

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question, I have read that the Tejon is a little more chatery compared to other Tesoro detectors. Why is this? I see the operating frequency is 17.2 to 17.6 KHz but I see no toggle switch like that of the Vaquero can someone tell me how this range works in transmitting and receiving objects? Does the type of coil and size have anything to do with this? I hope that is not a strange question but I thought I read somewhere that different coil sizes affects the frequency, as does different objects have a different frequency when they are detected, but my question is on the range...what is Tesoro referencing to?

Normally the shift works to help eliminate cross talk with interference with other detectors and overhead wires but what about the Tejon shift?

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need me a good set of head phones.

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find mine to be chattery at all. It hits on small pieces of metal. But the only way I can make it chatter is to turn the sensitivity past ten, which is over kill to me. I can run it on ten and it is smooth as a whistle. I too have heard this also but have not experienced it myself. It is a super hot machine!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't find mine to be chattery at all. It hits on small pieces of metal. But the only way I can make it chatter is to turn the sensitivity past ten, which is over kill to me. I can run it on ten and it is smooth as a whistle. I too have heard this also but have not experienced it myself. It is a super hot machine!

Yeah not much information on this , I kind of figured it would be like most going high on sensitivity, just wanted to find out if what is going on inside the machine with the range itself when it performing it's internal adjustments I imagine then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i don't know much about the internals. Are you thinking on getting one? If so a nice used one would be sweet. I see you have the vaq, Which is a super fine machine and a bit lighter. I always want what i don't have but really most Tesoros will get the job i do done. I got the Tejon i guess because i like over kill. But i would have been well pleased with the ciabola I'm sure!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mine is only chattery with the sensitivity past 10 or 'in the red' there have been only a few places I can run it near 10, I avg, between 7-8.
I don't recall if I stated this before but My tejon is "Mainly" my relic Machine, as I find it to Sensitive to use it in trashy areas . W/O A VDI Screen.
Don't get me wrong it will work in trashy areas , I just run the main descrim at 'Tab' or above & the Alt disc a couple notches higher. I never really have gotten the Scrap area on the machine tho.???

Also never used mine with any coil but the Stock one, I'm 99% sure that in Trashy areas that would help.
? A larger loop = more depth? , Likely, but I usually hunt the Wood's & when set right, I can get CW 58 cal Minnies at / up to 10-12 inches But In most conditions I get most targets (that size) at around 8" or less.

Hunted with a Guy using a GPX 4800 , He was getting 3 Ringers at what I estimate 20" +. I swung the Tejon over them and could hear nothing ..(tried all my tricks) lol, Then put his HP's on & heard that faint Chirp as his coil passed over the deep Minnie.
That's what I would expect from a $4,000 Machine ,W ,after market Coil.
Heck I paid $400 for my tejon used.

Also little or no interference with most other common machines in use today.
Can not say the same for my XLT.

Funny Tho
Every now & again the machine will just 'Chirp' say...Every 12 -15 seconds, & sometimes for a hole hunt.
Usually i'm near a Free Way or another busy highway. Other times it has done this with the closest house being 300 yards away through the Hardwoods.???

Then it will quit or I get used to it ???
Maybe Meteorites or UFO 's have crashed in these places hundreds or thousands of years ago. lol
GL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing speed will affect depth as well, I have noticed this more in the last 6 months.

Also Ground Balancing can be a pain in 'Hot' Soil, but it'd Do-able.
Davers

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah i don't know much about the internals. Are you thinking on getting one? If so a nice used one would be sweet. I see you have the vaq, Which is a super fine machine and a bit lighter. I always want what i don't have but really most Tesoros will get the job i do done. I got the Tejon i guess because i like over kill. But i would have been well pleased with the ciabola I'm sure!

I think my next Tesoro before the Tejon would be a new Compadre with warranty, It would have to be a used Tejon..reason is Tesoro may come out with something I can't warrant why I need a new Tejon if I already own a Vaquero 11x8 RSD and 5.75 concentric which I love..I will tell you this though. I was this close to almost getting a Tejon for only $50.00 from Amazon.ca. But it was incorrectly priced so they credited me back, for weeks it showed processing your order then just hanged there and was advised that when it was displayed incorrect on there websit as an error. That was my first choice..so disappointed, then I opt out for the Vaquero what settled this was scannerguy1968 video comparison on the two.

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea scanner guy is cool. He has some good vids. I got the Tejon because my friend got the Vaquero. I figured i could just grab his if i wanted too, so get something different. I first bought a outlaw but it came in the mail all broke up. I read some more opted for the Tejon. I still would like to try the outlaw but i figure there is no real way around the trash. I wish there was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread