doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I certainly would like to get a Tejon 11x8 one of these days, nothing but good reports on this Black T!

Congratulations on you new purchase!

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Joe,

I Love my Tejon.. :thumbsup: You will do well with it and over time learn more and more about it's traits. Try ground balanceing it 1/4 turn negative after you get it to a neutral ground balance (make sure your on clean ground when balanceing). This will increase your depth most of the time. If it's gets noisy turn it down a little and keep on hunting it will still find targets at good depth even turned down. In heavy trash back it down a little kinda like driving in fog with your high beams on if your sensitivity is set to high. In iron infested sites with nails run the disk under nickel above the line below the nickel emblem. This will cause most of the nails and iron trash to crackle and pop, back the sensitivity down and listen for good targets. Slow your sweep speed in these inviroments. Try the 5.75 concentric coil in heavy trash. The Tejon will pic out the targets.

I also set my disc knobs to drop USA nickels right on the nickel mark. Just loosen the set screw adjust knob as stated and reset or tighten set screw (don't over tieghten) the disc knob is calibrated right at nickel now. This takes time and for some is tedious to do, but well worth it to me. This pretty much aligns all the targets with the disc knob throughout the disc range markings. It is common for Tesoro's disc knobs to not always match the disc markings (be off a little either way), easy fix as stated. Not really a big deal but I like my disc knob to be exact. I have done this on every Tesoro I have owned. ( Rusty at Tesoro said if your real picky like me it's no problem to do this and said he has done it himself to many Tesoro detectors making the disc knob spot on).

Happy Hunting, 8-)
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the tips! Lord knows I need all i can get. Im fairly new at it, I have ran the compadre hard for about 2 months, or so. Not very long much a lot of hours. I should have been doing this years ago!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest tip is......ground balance the Tejon often. It is the touchiest Tesoro out there for this. I check my GB every 15 minutes,,,,easy to do with trigger switch. Tejon is my favorite machine!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Tejon as well. Sometimes it can be too sensitive! I dug a single staple once at 3 inches. Took me forever to find it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you have about 100-120 hours on the Tejon, something snaps. You are suddenly hearing the soil change beneath the coil, going just a bit more positive/conductive and correcting your ground balance. You hear it whispering to you, whispers you never perceived before. Pulltabs and canslaw shriek in a harsh and noticeable way.

If you like it now, just wait till you speak its language fluently! :occasion14:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have about 100-120 hours on the Tejon, something snaps. You are suddenly hearing the soil change beneath the coil, going just a bit more positive/conductive and correcting your ground balance. You hear it whispering to you, whispers you never perceived before. Pulltabs and canslaw shriek in a harsh and noticeable way.

If you like it now, just wait till you speak its language fluently! :occasion14:
Exactly!.....I have hunted relics with Tejon set with very low disc so much that I can hunt a trashy yard with it now and tell you a coin or other good target without ever touching the disc knob.

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So running a little positive will help? I am not good enough to tell pull tabs yet. I know they scream loud. I am digging most everything to try to guess it. I got pretty good with the compadre but I'm afraid not to dig them thinking it could be a gold ring and also to remove trash from the ground. I would like to learn the tab sound to walk past them for sake of time. But here in Louisiana they scream underground. I had one laying on the ground clean and it disc out were the one right beside it 3 inches down was yelling loud. Halo is real.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pulltab should not have a Halo since aluminium does not rust or corrode like iron. The pulltabs orientation in the ground will play a role in how it comes in on your disc. circuit. Try this, helped me alot.....Save the next few pulltabs and junk targets that you dig up that sound good to you. Lay them on the ground spread out a little and lay down some good targets with them (seperated some).....put a piece of plywood or such over the targets and just practice going over them and really listening to the subtle differences. Aluminum tends to "blare" or have an ebrupt end to its sound, whereas coins usually sound very "round".......good headphones make a big difference here.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey JoeDirty how do you like your Compadre setup with your Tejon now, is your Compadre a 6" or 8" coil, I imagine that is your go to detector still then cherry pic with your Tejon afterwards, still enjoy your Compadre I imagine, I know the Tejon is still pretty new and likely lots to understand as you continue to use your Tejon but how did you like the Compadre with your experience now moving over to the Tejon, just thought I ask what your feelings are on the Compadre and Tejon brothers, why would you need anything more right?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
?..Aluminum tends to "blare" or have an ebrupt end to its sound, whereas coins usually sound very "round".......good headphones make a big difference here.

The Tejons I have even give a little reverb sound with aluminum, making it easier to spot. After passing the target, it'll almost sound like a "boiiing" sound. Sounds silly, but that's what I hear with the Tejon and aluminum. I also notice it with the Bandido II micromax.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejons I have even give a little reverb sound with aluminum, making it easier to spot. After passing the target, it'll almost sound like a "boiiing" sound. Sounds silly, but that's what I hear with the Tejon and aluminum. I also notice it with the Bandido II micromax.

Makes perfect since to me after using both of those machines......not something you will pick up on in a day; but with some hours of use it just comes to you.

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea i have a couple sets of head phones. One set are great but are way to loud where as their is no volume control. The speaker on the Tejon isn't very loud i noticed? Not that i go out without headphones. Whereas the compadre is way to loud. Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea man good questions! The compadre is like the iPhone and the Tejon is like the iMac in comparison if that makes any sense, meaning that you like one so much you decide to get the big brother like you stated. It is super dry here as we are in a drought and digging is a pain, not to mention that digging in someones yard now would not fill back well. So that being said i have hunted but haven't been where i have worked out a spot completely where the Tejon is a must. Still a lot of shallow goodies to be found i bet. The compadre i have is a 6 inch easier said than 5.75"! I will never sell it because it is super handy if you know what I mean. I buddy got the Vaq. I haven't messed with it much but i went with the Tejon for the extra features. I imagine myself being happy with any Tesoro machine. I have dug a lot with the compadre and it continues to surprise and impress me. Human nature is we are never satisfied so we continue to buy stuff hoping for something to satisfy us. Or if i only had this sort of thing going on! The Scripture calls it the flesh. By the way I'm new here and I love this site and the people here are great and very apt to help in anyway, almost like a brotherhood which is very encouraging to me. Thanks to all here that devote time to help newbies like myself learn to enjoy this incredible and super additive hobby! Thanks

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you have the hand grip wrapped in? i like the wire loom on it as well!

OP
OP
J

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have some fine detectors! I want them all but need to learn what i have.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I need a tejon now lol

Sure I would like one too, but with your line up, and the bunch of coils you have wouldn't a Black Vaquero with 11x8 just do. I would like to see the Black V vs a Black T on 11x8 neck to neck and either the smaller coils as well...I would like to see a depth comparison videos on the two compared rather then the bunch of the great 9x8 spider comparisons already mentioned out there. I THINK the Black V with the 11x8 and a 5.75 either widescan or concentric compares well to the Tejon on Relic/Junk seperation and response comparisons are quit similar, but I would have to give it to the Tejon that seperates better, I don't know the above is valid for fact but I really funny suspicion they do. What hits better on fine gold thin jewelery the Tejon or the Vaquero with the coils I mentioned.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I need a tejon now lol

Sure I would like one too, but with your line up, and the bunch of coils you have wouldn't a Black Vaquero with 11x8 just do. I would like to see the Black V vs a Black T on 11x8 neck to neck and either the smaller coils as well...I would like to see a depth comparison videos on the two compared rather then the bunch of the great 9x8 spider comparisons already mentioned out there. I THINK the Black V with the 11x8 and a 5.75 either widescan or concentric compares well to the Tejon on Relic/Junk seperation and response comparisons are quit similar, but I would have to give it to the Tejon that seperates better, I don't know the above is valid for fact but I really funny suspicion they do. What hits better on fine gold thin jewelery the Tejon or the Vaquero with the coils I mentioned. I need to learn what I have as well before considering the Tejon, but what the heck that would certainly complete what most Tesoro lovers would want in their line up, and maybe a Golden uMax as well.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread