doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading many great things on the Compadre, would owning a 8" be the way to go as I already have a Black V with a 5.75 concentric anyways, I want to the Compadre to be my go to over my Ace 300i I currently own as that is my sons machine I don't want to use all the time anyways. Why is the discrimination knob set lower on the 8" differently on the 6", anybody know? Not a big issue, just wondering. Also can I use my 4 pin delta 5.75" on my Vaquero if I go with the Compadre 8", are they even interchangeable, I seen also the 7" but have been discontinued in that size, Im leaning towards the 8" I imagine and new as most are selling with exchange and duty used over 200.00, and I can get one new shipped free shipping in for 210.00 with lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8" for sure. I love my 7"

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^ - he always says that... ^_^

Both coils are very good, with the 8" getting slightly better depth and covering a little greater area per sweep. I also like that the 8" is a "donut", and you see exactly where your target will be, through the donut hole. The 5.75" gets you in just a little closer to stationary objects, and it works better in heavily trashed spots (lots of bottle caps, pulltabs, etc.). For average park use, get the 8".... but the 5.75" is great, too. Both are, in my opinion, the two best coils Tesoro offers for "park use", and you'll probably be happy with either. I've used Compadres with both, and gave 'em away to two of my kids. I use the same two coils regularly on my other Tesoros. ^_^

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have used both....only bought the 5.75 for my son at 8 years old for the closer pinpointing for a youngster and for the light weight. Now he is going on 11 and wishes he had the 8" for more depth/coverage. Unless you hunt some extremely trashy spots go with the 8". Been thinking of modding his to be able to change coils....wonder how the 7" widescan would work on the Compadre....?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also can I use my 4 pin delta 5.75" on my Vaquero if I go with the Compadre 8", are they even interchangeable, I seen also the 7" but have been discontinued in that size, Im leaning towards the 8" I imagine and new as most are selling with exchange and duty used over 200.00, and I can get one new shipped free shipping in for 210.00 with lifetime warranty.

The coils are hardwired on Compadre machines so you have to pick....and if the were not hardwired, they use a 5 pin or 5 wire coil(Epilson series).

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perfect, Thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
8" if you hunt predominantly open trash free sites, smaller coil if trash filled sites are mostly your thing.
Both actually work just about as well for either but the big coil efficiently covers a little more ground and goes a bit deeper, the small coil is a bit more efficient in really heavy trash.
As far as getting close as possible to big iron, tot lot equipment, fence poles and bench legs, finding targets near, next to or even leaning on these things and finding them with the double beep I found there was absolutely no difference in ease of use or ability between the 8" or smaller coils...surprisingly.
This is one superpower all models with any coil seem to possess equally.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8" if you hunt predominantly open trash free sites, smaller coil if trash filled sites are mostly your thing.
Both actually work just about as well for either but the big coil efficiently covers a little more ground and goes a bit deeper, the small coil is a bit more efficient in really heavy trash.
As far as getting close as possible to big iron, tot lot equipment, fence poles and bench legs, finding targets near, next to or even leaning on these things and finding them with the double beep I found there was absolutely no difference in ease of use or ability between the 8" or smaller coils...surprisingly.
This is one superpower all models with any coil seem to possess equally.

To your last statement that is what I have read thus far, and just wanted to get everyones expert advise on that, only thing now is to make the purchase, because if I asked for the Compadre to be on my Christmas list this year..my wife will loose it, I will just have to go ahead with the purchase before then as a lil gift to my self.:coffee2:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To your last statement that is what I have read thus far, and just wanted to get everyones expert advise on that, only thing now is to make the purchase, because if I asked for the Compadre to be on my Christmas list this year..my wife will loose it, I will just have to go ahead with the purchase before then as a lil gift to my self.:coffee2:

Not sure if you have a dealer in mind, but here are the ones Tesoro lists for Canada:

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Canadian Dealers

Due to the Compadre being an inexpensive model which some folks like to tinker with, I recommend you buy your Compadre brand new. ^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread