8' & 10' Coil cord lengths what's the point?

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would have to be a Giant to have these land detecting lengths, Im normal height 5ft 10" I have 3' cord and have lots of cord wrapped around my Tesoro, why would one consider such a long length?? I have seen other competitors with a ton of extra wrap around the coil to me just not necessary extra weight and not sure if this would cause the detector react differently with extra falsing unless you want to have the lower part straighten out at the lower part of the shaft and then wrap closer to the top of the detector?? Even so....not to mention having you stretch your arm way out if you ever needed to do this would be pointless as it would be hard on your wrist anyways?? And it makes your detector look sloppy.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day when I couldn't afford a dedicated water machine, I used a long cord to allow me to hang the control box just under my chin and wade another 3 feet or so deeper in the water

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day when I couldn't afford a dedicated water machine, I used a long cord to allow me to hang the control box just under my chin and wade another 3 feet or so deeper in the water

Hmmm,,I think that would be a risk in voiding your waranty being waterproof maybe but I would not chance it...but I would have to say I was out swinging in the water yeah I would be thinking of the same thing if I was hitting alot out there in the shallows.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some cord lengths I have noticed are ridiculous - Then I went cordless with the Deus !

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The main reason, I believe, is for units that are able to be hip mounted where that extra length can come in handy.
Another application is for hunting in small streams and creeks.
I can see someone placing their detector safely on the bank but wade into the water holding just the coil.
You can't get way out there but I have found good targets close to the bank just standing there moving my coil through the water in the past.

I have a long cable on a used big DD coil I bought for my Vaq from another hunter but it isn't a big problem for me at all.
I wrap it all close all the way up the rod and keep it out of the way and neat, the little bit extra weight is not much at all so a non issue and I don't see any extra behavior, EMI problems or such, compared to my other coils with shorter cables using them at the same sites.
If you are ordering new coils just be careful to opt for the length that you would prefer.
If you end up with coils that have that longer length for some reason it can be dealt with easily.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread