just traded fpr a cortes any advice for relic hunting?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're running in disc. keep it low and crank the sens up as far as it runs quietly. Depth and recovery are good, but you may get a bit more depth if you ground balance and run in all metal.
luvsdux

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would have gotten a Vaquero or a Tejon for relic hunting. The Cortes is more of a high end coin shooter.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would have gotten a Vaquero or a Tejon for relic hunting. The Cortes is more of a high end coin shooter.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP has already sold that Cortes (no, not to me).

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did sell just wasnt my cup of tea thanks though. The tones didnt give me information like im used to. I know tesero has a following and people find great stuff with them BUT imo there are way better options out there for coins and relics. I know everyone has a preference and to be fair I didnt learn on a one tone machine so maybe thats the reason I didnt care for it.I saw the tejon on a nail board test and would buy one in a minute if they would make it was a 2 tone machine. I will say this once you get used to a machine like the deus in full tones its hard to go back to a nokta ,tesero, t2,mackro etc because the deus provides so much information in the tones such as size,roundness , conductivity, and depth. I know some will take heed to what I said but thats just my take on it and others will be different.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is an excellent machine and has found me a lot of nice things over the years. I started off relic hunting in the early 90s in Nevada and California at old desert washes where the old timers had worked for gold. My friends would be hunting for nuggets with their gold bugs while I hunted for relics and coins with my tesoro bandido. I found so many cool coins and relics back then. Today though if I could only keep one of my detectors it would be the Nokta Relic though because it offers a better coil selection. The places I hunt are usually covered in lots of sage brush and need smaller coils to get in and around it. Maybe the new 6 x 8 coil for the deus will change some of that but it's still not a 5in round or 5.75 concentric offered by tesoro. Tones really don't mean as much to me as the ability to pull a non ferrous item out of a sea of nails. A solid 4 way hit on a good Tesoro machine like a Tejon, Vaquero, Bandido etc with a 5.75 concentric and you better be digging it. A Deus with a 5in concentric would be awsome we can only dream. Fact of the matter is though I have went behind my areas I have hit with my Deus and Relic with the Tejon and the 5.75 concentric coil and found good stuff them two missed. No one machine can find it all, they all see stuff differently.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they would make a small coil , I did see a tejon do some very extradonary seperation in iron on a test. Alot of my sites overlap some modern trash would be a concern for me but a few sites I have it might do well.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old site even with modern trash like foil, pull tabs, .22 casings etc everything above iron has to be dug anyhow. I would die if I didn't dig everything above iron and someone else came behind me and dug a 1 dollar us gold coin. I usually only dig it all for the first few hours then turn up the disc and dig only nickels or higher after that.lol I will tell you a story about my Eldorado micromax, I had just come back to the truck to take a break and have a beer. I had been out all morning with my Deus. I took my Eldorado out of the truck, cracked open my beer and started to hit the area around my truck while I drank my beer. I walked probably about 30 ft when I got a solid hit, turned the disc up to max, solid hit still there. Tried to dig away the soil with my boot but couldn't get deep enough. Went back to the truck to get my relic shovel, came back and opened the hole. Out popped an 1853 seated quarter. My friend about collapsed. This is an area that we have pounded with many machines. It was in the middle of a sage bush where big coils couldn't go, the little 5.75 concentric coil banged it hard though. After laughing and finishing the beer I continued on with the eldorado and about 2 ft from where that quarter came out I got another solid hit. Turned the disc all the way max and it was still there. Laughing again I called my friend over said, have another hit with maxed out disc, he said, can't be. Underneath that sage bush popped another seated quarter. Never in my life has that happened so close together.lol. what a great day.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah later in the day I cherry pick a little too I dont dig everything all the time .

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calabash digger, that was my misunderstanding. I thought that you traded a detector FOR a Cortes to go relic hunting with. My bad lol.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
And another one bites the dust! </Queen>

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did sell just wasnt my cup of tea thanks though. The tones didnt give me information like im used to. I know tesero has a following and people find great stuff with them BUT imo there are way better options out there for coins and relics. I know everyone has a preference and to be fair I didnt learn on a one tone machine so maybe thats the reason I didnt care for it.I saw the tejon on a nail board test and would buy one in a minute if they would make it was a 2 tone machine. I will say this once you get used to a machine like the deus in full tones its hard to go back to a nokta ,tesero, t2,mackro etc because the deus provides so much information in the tones such as size,roundness , conductivity, and depth. I know some will take heed to what I said but thats just my take on it and others will be different.

Mmmm, yeah, I know, I mean my Makro Racer 2 Is crap...can't even pick up a 1kg gold bar at 1"

All machines are CRUD, accept the Deus.

Geez, tghis gets so old.

BTW...My Racer 2 is AWESOME!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread