Got a DeLeon coming in the mail..

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As already said run you sensitivity around 7-8, threshold just into the beginning of the red band over the dial. The higher the disc setting, you will notice that you lose some depth. I run in disc mode about at the R in iron. Good target numbers usually bounce consistently, broken trash bits will bounce randomly. I hated the stock 9x8 coil on it, an old 8" donut coil will smoke the stock coil when testing my Deleon. I run a 7" DD wide scan coil or the 11x8 RSD coil. Like Stoofs said, 1984 and above pennies will ring in as zinc, 1983 and earlier will ring in as 95 silver. Indian heads will be the 84-86 range on the display. Broken off tabs of the old beavertail pull tabs display at 32-33-34 ,same as your regular nickel, so don't be surprised when you only find a broken bit of a pull tab. Shielded nickels display at 34-35, Barber V nickels 39-41,Buffalo nickels 40-41, war nickels 37-41 and your regular nickel at 32-34.The Deleon likes nickels and dimes. Keep fresh batteries in it. The battery charge will effect the depth. I run the dirt cheap dollar tree sunbean batteries.$1 for 8 AA, they run a long time. I throw them out when they drop 2 bars on the meter and I also pull the battery packs out while it is not being used . Just in case the battery starts leaking.I hope this helps. Some new quarters don't read well at higher threshold and sensitivity settings, Some will read less than 95, as low as 84 ,depending on how they are laying in the dirt.Drop your sensitivity to 4-5 and they will read 95 again. I really don't have an explanation,it's just something that I observed while digging targets.You will learn to thumb your threshold and sensitivity like other thumb the disc on other Tesoros.Leave the disc alone, it doesn't help by thumbing it. Again,I hope this helps.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Some new quarters don't read well at higher threshold and sensitivity settings, Some will read less than 95, as low as 84 ,depending on how they are laying in the dirt.Drop your sensitivity to 4-5 and they will read 95 again. I really don't have an explanation,it's just something that I observed while digging targets....

Same thing I've seen on the Outlaw; sensitivity too high and quarters sound weaker and scratchy. Running sensitivity at about 4 gives a stronger signal, as does running the ground balance more negative; something you can't do on all Tesoros.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Same thing I've seen on the Outlaw; sensitivity too high and quarters sound weaker and scratchy. Running sensitivity at about 4 gives a stronger signal, as does running the ground balance more negative; something you can't do on all Tesoros.
Thank you for verifying that. The Deleon has a fixed Ground balance, so it sort of limits the option to solve this problem other than turn the sensitivity down, which worked for me. I just thought I would throw what I learned out there for someone else just starting with one. Nothing is carved in stone but hopefully something I said will help. I am a fan of the Deleon, it seems like there aren't too many of us out there that are.

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deleon Did not like maxed out Sensitivity 7-8 was good..... I was still digging 6-7 inch coins.... which for Park / Sports field / Tot lot hunting was plenty I found a Thin Chain with Deleon so did your low foil zone .

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Deleon Did not like maxed out Sensitivity 7-8 was good..... I was still digging 6-7 inch coins.... which for Park / Sports field / Tot lot hunting was plenty I found a Thin Chain with Deleon so did your low foil zone .

So far this detector has been impressive. When was the last time your heard someone tell you they air tested the clean-sweep to almost 9" on a quarter?! I can hit 8" on a dime and get a accurate vdi. This is no exaggeration, although it is in air, that still blows the Bandido and Compadre out of the water. I plan on testing the 8" doughnut and the 9x8 along with the 5.75 in the test garden very soon. And I'll post air tests along with VDI readings for anyone who might get a DeLeon, or find it useful.

I've only managed two very short (less than an hour) hunts with it so far but this thing is sweet. I gotta feeling this is my new tot-lot machine. The Compadre was bought for this sole purpose but I found the Bandido was better around big iron play ground equipment, so it was a bit of a toss up. I worked the double beep method with the Compadre to few successes, and the Bandido seemed to produce more results along with less trash. The Compadre was really meant to be a "small chains machine" due to its reputation, but the DeLeon seems just as capable if not more so. I'm gonna have to do some small chains and micro jewelry testing.

Thanks for all the tips.

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what were the results?

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what were the results?

Its a decent coin shooter so far. I tweeked every pot in the machine to get a feel for what was going on and with a little work got the machine to settle down and give fairly accurate VDI's on nickles and gold rings along with hitting a full bar in the 5 cent range in the bar graph.

As an odd example, here is the DeLeon hitting a nickel as silver with the 9x8...

Mine no matter what coil I use it never ID'ed a nickle at 95.

I've been a bit concerned about masking but other than that Im still playing around. The 5.75" seems to me to be a killer combo but the 8" brown doughnut gave me very accurate ID's. It even moves the small newer pulltabs into the the tabs range on the graph even though the ID is only maybe 5 numbers higher (nickle 29-33 small tab 35-39).. It did take some tuning to get this and so far its been spot on. Not been able to get that spread yet with the 5.75" but I'll keep playing.

Masking video..

Its also not the best in EMI..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread