Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking to go deep.

Wondering what coil to pare with my DeLeon.

Looking to hit a place with some deep coins and mild soil and need to know which of the 5 pin coils (Tesoro, SEF, Nel, Troy) would be good. I ask because I've heard the 12x10 Tesoro coil is pretty bad and wasn't as efficient as some of the smaller, just as deep aftermarket coils. I dont know where I read this but I'm sure I have several times.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the old 10-12" donut

Just a suggestion, but consider the older Tesoro 10-1/2" concentric donut. They turn up on ebay from time to time. Should be about as deep as Tesoro's current 12x10" concentric, but won't get caught on every twig. Concentrics should also be more accurate at target ID on the DeLeon than any aftermarket DD coil.

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received the older 10.5" concentric donut coil to use on my Bandido 2 uMax...haven't had a chance to use it in the dirt yet...winter has arrived:(
But I've done a bit of air testing and mine hit's a dime 10.5" and a quarter at 11.5"....deepest coil I have right now.
I'll know more once I get it in the dirt.
10.5" donut coils are as rare as rockin horse poop to find these days....if you can find one:)

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...10.5" donut coils are as rare as rockin horse poop to find these days....if you can find one:)

Guess it's a good thing I got one recently, and still like new! I haven't even tried mine out yet, as I usually hunt in trashy spots. Usually use either 8" or 5.75". I wonder if Tesoro would make one up for you if you ask nicely... They still use it on their water detectors. ^_^

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told when I was looking for one that Tesoro wouldn't make one....then I said ok,I'll get one for the water detector and put a plug on it.
Well....then I was told that the water detector 10.5" coils are weighted for water use and a bit heavier,making the tesoro very nose heavy for land use...
Sooooo...I waited and was lucky enough to find one from the UK....end of story:)

Happy Clam!!

Guess it's a good thing I got one recently, and still like new! I haven't even tried mine out yet, as I usually hunt in trashy spots. Usually use either 8" or 5.75". I wonder if Tesoro would make one up for you if you ask nicely... They still use it on their water detectors. ^_^

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Shoot I always liked the Tesoro 10x12. Used it on at least a few machines and ran really stable on them all at max sensitivity. Pinpointing was good and depth was an improvement over the 8x9 for sure. Used it on an older Silver Sabre uMax, Golden uMax, Cortes but seemed most symbiotic on a newer Silver uMax hitting silver quarter around 12" more than once. Never got to try any aftermarket coils of other brands though. Good luck.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told when I was looking for one that Tesoro wouldn't make one....then I said ok,I'll get one for the water detector and put a plug on it.
Well....then I was told that the water detector 10.5" coils are weighted for water use and a bit heavier,making the tesoro very nose heavy for land use...
Sooooo...I waited and was lucky enough to find one from the UK....end of story:)

Happy Clam!!

Mine came in a custom 3 coil Outlaw package, put together by the previous owner. He had managed to find a new 10-1/2" short cable land coil. I had been wanting an Outlaw but I bought the one I have, because of the non-standard coils that came with it.
Still haven't tried the 10-1/2".

IMG_0366.JPG

Last edited:

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RW

I have only heard good things about the 10x12 coil....again guess it depends on your dirt and what tesoro machine you use...It's not the first time I've heard that when you match it with a Silver uMax it does well on depth.
Did you have to retune the coil to the Silver or did it just work outa the box?

Shoot I always liked the Tesoro 10x12. Used it on at least a few machines and ran really stable on them all at max sensitivity. Pinpointing was good and depth was an improvement over the 8x9 for sure. Used it on an older Silver Sabre uMax, Golden uMax, Cortes but seemed most symbiotic on a newer Silver uMax hitting silver quarter around 12" more than once. Never got to try any aftermarket coils of other brands though. Good luck.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't under estimate the 11x8 RSD coil's ability when paired up with the Deleon. Target separation is simply amazing, depth is pretty good as well. In saying that, it most likely isn't the coil s part of the equasion, it's the preset ground balance and battery life that zaps depth on the Deleon.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the 10x12 concentric spider on the DeLeon. Unforunately it operated with a fair bit of chatter in my ground so I didn't take time to test it for depth..
luvsdux

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread started out as to deepest coil for silver. That's all fine and good, but on what detector? In my experience, in mild soil and air tests the Deleon beats all my other Umax detectors for depth by 1 to 2 inches when testing similar size coils.
luvsdux

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Did not have to retune it was a perfect match. Only coil I had machine retuned to was the CleanSweep and it lost half the depth and sensitivity in the process. When you find that special symbiotic Tesoro and coil combination people will accuse you of lying about your results ha.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think it's all about the individual machines tuning. Sometime being off a bit from factory is dead on for other specific locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions