pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I'm usually detecting just about any land spots I can make time for, and I've found some interesting things. Out in an old spot a couple days ago, one known to be a path into a small valley formerly known as "the watering hole". The "hole" had been used by sheep and cattle ranchers many years ago, and is in an area once populated by the native Chumash tribe. Not too far from Fort Tejon, built in the 1850s to control troublemakers, is where I found this bullet. Identified as a "ring tail Sharps", it supposedly dates to the period Fort Tejon was actively used. At around 150 years old, this is probably the oldest "relic" I've yet dug. I was hoping to find some silver coins, but just dug a few wheaties there when this bullet turned up. Tossed it in the junk side of my finds apron thinking nothing of it 'till this morning, when I got curious about it. Thought it looked old with the rings, but there are so many bullets and shells up here, I wasn't too excited... Possibly my oldest find to date, dug while using my slightly modified (10 turn GB pot) Bandido II μMAX / 5.75" concentric. Bullet was only 'bout 3" down.

Appears to be a Civil War era .56 caliber Sharps... and was found in California mountains.

IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you nail it down for sure, you should send an email to Tesoro! I'm sure Vince, and the folks at the factory would LOVE to see it! :hello2:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you buddy, and how appropriate that this post is associated with "Fort Tejon", as my Tejon has found a pile of 1780"s fur trade relics. Rings, knives, silver broaches, half axe, buttons etc. Even if I haven't used my Tejon for several years, doesn't diminish my desire for it. I know what its capable of, and it is waiting for the time and place.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a .52 cal ring tail sharps

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a .52 cal ring tail sharps

Thanks. It has been identified as a "ring tail Sharps", but still not positive on the caliber. It measures .55" on the OD and 1.0" length (close as I could measure as it's a bit out of round). I was reading that Sharps were offered in several bores..
Found it with your old Bandido, BTW. ^_^

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent, good old machine, glad someone's getting some use out of it. I had a rubber grommet on the GB but see you traded it out for a 10 turn, good job. May it find you lots of good things like it did for me.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent, good old machine, glad someone's getting some use out of it. I had a rubber grommet on the GB but see you traded it out for a 10 turn, good job. May it find you lots of good things like it did for me.

Thanks again. ^_^
Been using it every time out since I got it from you. I take the Outlaw with the 8" coil along too, and keep a 5.75" on the Bandido. Works for me...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oldest find I can definitely age is an 1860, Democratic election piece, quarter sized, marked Herschel V Johnson 1860 and Steven A. Douglas 1860. Thought it was a coin until I washed the soil off. Found with a Silver Sabre umax with the 4" concentric coil. Was at the bottom of the stairs of an old house with a dirt floor.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread