doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I could not help myself on this been reading quit a bit on the Bandido II uMax lateley but can anyone add to this thread, I am wondering if one owns either the Vaq 11x8 and a smaller 5.75 along with the Outlaw three coil package and they have used the Bandido II uMax 8"coil...which one would you get rid of and keep, it can be either, one or none. If you like you can post which order as well to favorite to least. I always like opinions on comparisons, and realize everyone is different and partial to what they own and love using..just want your .02 on this one as I have heard all three are quit similar.

Also if you were compare the Bandido II uMax would it be more similar to the Outlaw or to the Vaquero. Or is the Bandido similar to either one the same..

And as always thanks for keeping these posts interesting.:metaldetector:

Last edited:

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoot, I'll start this one off. From what I have read, the Outlaw is basically a Bandito II Umax with a different sound. Out of those two, I would keep the Bandido II Umax. That's a tough question. Vaq with two necessary coils, or the Outlaw w/ three coil pack! I honestly couldn't answer that question without bias. It would be for what the intended use of the machine was in order for me to pick...

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a hard enough time as it is with using all the Tesoro's that I have lol 1484377146986-796362624.jpg

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you just had to...

You know that you can only get that Bandido used, so...no warranty for you..!
In order of preference though (and ignoring original coils supplied) I'll put them:

1) Bandido II μMAX
2) Outlaw - second, though close to Bandido
3) Vaquero - also nice to use, better depth in "mild" soil but not as good in heavy trash as the other two

I have and use them all, but lately the Bandido is played with most often. That changes from time to time, when I just want to play with something different.
If I'm hitting a city park, a turn on & go Tesoro could be picked.

For the old mountain camps I usually like to do, I want a manually adjustable GB Tesoro, so my two favorites in bottlecap infested spots are the Bandido and Outlaw. Of those two, the old Bandido is presently my favorite, but the Outlaw performs just about the same. I really don't have trouble pinpointing with any of the concentric Tesoro coils, so the button on Outlaw or Vaquero isn't needed. That said, the retune/pinpoint on Outlaw is great at shrinking target response to a very small area when you use it. I just don't need it with my coil choices and a pinpointer at my side.

BTW - I have to say that I'm usually just looking for old coins in relatively trashy places, and not specifically relics. I nearly always use either the 8" donut or 5.75" concentric on the 5 pin machines, and the 5.75" concentric on the Vaquero.
Those concentric coils all do fairly well in trash, but the ED120 machines do better at ignoring the small iron I'm not wanting to hear.
I like using the Bandido a bit more than the Outlaw 'cause it pinpoints perfectly with the little concentric so I don't need the pinpoint/retune, I like the higher audio tone on Bandido, and the biggest reason of all for favoring my Bandido... Because it's super-smooth running right at the edge of stability, with the 10 turn GB pot I put in it. :tongue3:
OH - Another reason I like Bandido and Outlaw over the Vaquero, is that when you do want to run it in all-metal (both have auto-retune and non-motion AM modes), you just flip the toggle without having to alter your disc setting.

Anyway, they're all great detectors and do work well for all-around land detecting. Some just "click" with their users more than others. That's pretty much why Tesoro offers both the Outlaw and Vaquero.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geez I have a long way to go to have a collection like these you all's must be proud owners, and as to Pinenut ' reason I like Bandido and Outlaw over the Vaquero, is that when you do want to run it in all-metal (both have auto-retune and non-motion AM modes), you just flip the toggle without having to alter your disc setting'. This is what I wanted to hear on this, thanks Pinenut! Hope that Tesoro can offer this to a near future Vaquero II lets say along with it's Supertune still would be nice.

Last edited:

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol thanks everyone. I'm still needing the Tejon and lobo super traq...as they say, flavor is the spice of life when metal detecting that is!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I always say "if anything is worth having, two (or more) is even better. lol This hobby can be very addictive as fitacoma shows us.
luvsdux

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
need spares!

Well, I always say "if anything is worth having, two (or more) is even better. lol This hobby can be very addictive as fitacoma shows us.
luvsdux

...which is why I also have a couple each of my favorites.. Would you believe, three of one model and two each of three others..?
Got to have your backups.. I just keep 'em hidden from my wife. :tongue3:

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is dedication! I read the Vaquero and Tejon book and now I want a Tejon lol.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon for later -

Tejon is a different animal than the ED120 machines I usually like to grab. The ED120's are best for ignoring much of the common iron trash range right from the start, making them good at quickly grabbing the easier coin and jewelry targets.
The Tejon has much of it's disc range right in the iron area, so that you can more finely sort and pick through the iron you want or don't, which helps you clear an area of iron relics as well as to remove iron which may be masking non-ferrous (coin and non-iron relic) targets. Two different approaches to finding goodies... Clearing out an area of ferrous targets will take more time, effort and experience...

I'm lazy, so use the machines that are best at simply ignoring small iron to start with. After going through an area that I think is picked clean of what I want, I should go back through with an ED180 Tesoro (Tejon or Eldorado) and remove iron...I'd probably find a few more desirable targets.
Since I usually don't keep going over the same places but instead like to hit different areas, the ED120 of Bandido, Outlaw (and other Tesoros) is what I take... Maybe I'll start using the Tejon more this summer, returning to some spots I've already done.

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut, I never thought about going back through with an ED 180 and sucking up what all was left over. I'll add that to my mental tool box. Thanks for the good info as always!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread